What would it take for you to leave Mormonism?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:
Who Knows wrote:where's the elimination of bias?

Crap. Looks like you win.

I still wonder though if science is really the best way to learn about the truth about everything.

Of course not. Well, when it comes to 'personal truths'.

Can science tell me anything about love? Can I prove what love is? Can you experience the same love that I have? No. But I think my love for my wife and kids is 'true'.

Of course that says nothing about it's universal application.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:Can science tell me anything about love? Can I prove what love is? Can you experience the same love that I have? No. But I think my love for my wife and kids is 'true'.

Of course that says nothing about it's universal application.

Well, you know what the Good Book says: "God is love" ;)

OK then, I'm fine saying that religion is different than science.
Unlike science it cannot eliminate bias.
Like science I think one can test it and find evidence for it or against it.

Does that work?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

asbestosman wrote:OK then, I'm fine saying that religion is different than science.
Unlike science it cannot eliminate bias.
Like science I think one can test it and find evidence for it or against it.

Does that work?

Sure, that'll work.

Fun discussion. Thanks man.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Who Knows wrote:Fun discussion. Thanks man.

Yeah, it helps me to get outside perspective. Even a mental gymnist needs practice. ;)
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Re: When I ruminate why any LDS people leave the Churh

Post by _Runtu »

grampa75 wrote:I have experienced in my life time many people who have apostized from the Church. It usualy seems to me that the person who has left the church or will leave the Church has indulged in practices that the Mormon Church only allows long enough for a person to come to his or her sense and repents. One other way is when a man or woman has become offended by a Bishop's, stake President's or Apostle's remarks that may have offended the person. King Soloman wrote;

("A man offended is harder to win than a strong city.)

If it has been a teaching of the Church that has offended a person then please let us know what the offense was, in that way perhaps we may be able to correct a man's teachings.

I have heard said in the Church that a prophet of God is not able to lead people astray. Well, in the right light I could agree with that; "If we ask God about any teaching from any person, no matter if that person belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ or is a prophet or apostle of the Church of Jesus Christ, it will then be God who will testify to us, one way or the other, or if the teaching is true or it is not. It is as easy as that. Let me give you another example where in some cases where the individual who leaves the Church if not familiar enough with the Churches actual teachings to judge the truth of any teaching.

You know, grampa, if you want to bring us back, a much more productive approach than telling us why you think we left would be to ask us why we did leave. None of your suppositions applies to me.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Re: What would it take for you to leave Mormonism?

Post by _grampa75 »

VegasRefugee wrote:I often reflect upon what helped me normalize my worldview and leave the incorrect worldview of Mormonism behind. I can cite books by Sagan mostly as the catalyst that led me into rational thought, but honestly the change was along time coming before that.

I'm currently 27 and the church left me when I was 25. Upon entering school the need for a rational outlook was made imperative. In particular Mike Norton and Shades were instrumental along with RFM, in regards to an outlet for the overwhelming anger I felt at the time. The anger is still there but its focused and honed.

Above all else I see my willingness to sit down and read the "other side" of the debate coming from the two year wake up call that was beaten into me during my mission. Slogging 12 hours a day knocking on doors in Minnesota just to be constantly told that I was in a cult both hinders and strengthens ones willingness to hold onto a false worldview. Pouring over FARMS documents and SHIELDS articles left me with an empty feeling inside. After reading the documents and discussing the matter with former seminary teachers of mine I knew it was all a lie. I just needed to make the leap into rational thought and act upon what I had learned.

Life it seemed changed the day I threw my garments away. Even after I made it known to my wife that I was not going back to church I kept them for some stupd reason. The day I dumped the laundry bag full of poorly made (yet expensive) white garments into the garbage was one of the happiest days of my life. It felt like I had sheared off shackles. Literally.

But hands down, the willingness to ditch the kooky worldview of Mormonism hinged on acting upon what I had learned. The more I relearned about episodes in church history the more I could get out of it. it was as if I could see the actual history of the church, not the vanilla faith-promoting ludicrous nature of the candy coated accounts. I could see the early church members as real people, not the cardboard cutouts portrayed by official church history that had been sanitized.

So to the believers I ask you what it would take for you to leave the church. What fact made evident would it take for you to ditch your faith? What fact would make your world change?

I would say that if the Holy Spirit would no longer teach the LDS people and doen not inform them after they hear the word of God then we would be left as the rest of the world is left after esperiencing that great, kind, loving teacher, then the Church would cease to be the one and only true religion. It has also been prophesied by Joseph Smith that this would also be the Case. He also said; "If the members of this Church fail to come to a realization that this relgion is true then the members may not be doing their part in asking the Holy Spirit if this church is the one and only true church.

Joseph Said that when the Holy Spirit does testify to the members that the Church is true, then this Church may yet fail.

The Church teaches that we must remain faithful to everything that God has taught us or the church may yet fail.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_marg

Re: What would it take for you to leave Mormonism?

Post by _marg »

Aquinas wrote: Logical conversation? Are you kidding me? There hasn't been a hint of logic prior to or after my post of Aquinas' argument. I suggest you reopen your logic textbook and bone up on what logic is, since you appear not to know.

I don't care that my argument didn't show that two Mormon doctrines contradicted each other, but it did show that a Mormon doctrine contradicted a sound argument about the oneness of God. Thus, it is a logical argument, which is what Asbestosman originally said would take for him to leave the Mormon church. Here is another logical argument for you, so you can practice:

1) All people who post on a message board of the religion they left are pathetic
2) Vegas Refugee posts on a message board of the religion he left
3) Therefore, Vegas Refugee is pathetic

I haven't been following this discussion, nor seen your sound argument for the oneness of God.

But deductive reasoning which you are illustrating here is only as good as the truth of the premises relied upon.

I can guarantee you have presented no sound argument for the oneness of God in the sense of a reality of a God. What you may have presented is an argument which uses the Bible as authority and the premise that a god exists as well as particulars for that god, is assumed true based upon the claims within the Bible. That doesn't mean the premises which you supplied are really true, in the sense of being a reflection of the world we all experience and observe.
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

Reply to marg

Post by _Aquinas »

I haven't been following this discussion, nor seen your sound argument for the oneness of God.

It's obvious, since the argument I cited from Aquinas about God's oneness does not depend on the Bible as an authority, as you hoped. I made a calculated assumption by posting in a message board with the name of a church that at least claims belief in the existence of God, that the premise "God exists" would be agreed upon. But, if you really want 5 proofs for that (none of which depend on the Bible for anything, only reasonable understanding of the natural world) here is the link: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm (scroll down to Article 3, unless you also want to see the argument that we can know that God exists, then also read Article 2) (or The Summa Theologica, Prima Pars, Question 2, Article 3 by Thomas Aquinas). I doubt, however, you will read any of it, as you obviously seem content with spouting out criticisms wihtout even reading what you criticize (see quoted statement above) and do not welcome anything outside of your stereotypes:

I can guarantee you have presented no sound argument for the oneness of God in the sense of a reality of a God. What you may have presented is an argument which uses the Bible as authority and the premise that a god exists as well as particulars for that god, is assumed true based upon the claims within the Bible. That doesn't mean the premises which you supplied are really true, in the sense of being a reflection of the world we all experience and observe.

What basis can you "guarantee" anything? You didn't even read anything, as you admit, and if you had, you'd see that you are clearly wrong about many assertions you make, given the argument I posted ealier in this thread. I find it ironic that while you imply you like to think about things critically (as opposed to those who rely on the Bible for arguments), you don't even read what you are criticizing! Great example for everyone of your critical thinking skills.
_marg

Re: Reply to marg

Post by _marg »

previously: I haven't been following this discussion, nor seen your sound argument for the oneness of God.

Aquinas wrote:It's obvious, since the argument I cited from Aquinas about God's oneness does not depend on the Bible as an authority, as you hoped. I made a calculated assumption by posting in a message board with the name of a church that at least claims belief in the existence of God, that the premise "God exists" would be agreed upon. But, if you really want 5 proofs for that (none of which depend on the Bible for anything, only reasonable understanding of the natural world) here is the link: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1002.htm (scroll down to Article 3, unless you also want to see the argument that we can know that God exists, then also read Article 2) (or The Summa Theologica, Prima Pars, Question 2, Article 3 by Thomas Aquinas). I doubt, however, you will read any of it, as you obviously seem content with spouting out criticisms wihtout even reading what you criticize (see quoted statement above) and do not welcome anything outside of your stereotypes:

My quoted statement above is not a criticism. You have an incorrect assumption that on this message board everyone has a God belief. I'm an atheist, at no time in my entire life did I have a God belief. I will look at your 5 proofs and comment later, it's currently late, tomorrow I'm on a day trip but the day after.

previously: I can guarantee you have presented no sound argument for the oneness of God in the sense of a reality of a God. What you may have presented is an argument which uses the Bible as authority and the premise that a god exists as well as particulars for that god, is assumed true based upon the claims within the Bible. That doesn't mean the premises which you supplied are really true, in the sense of being a reflection of the world we all experience and observe.

Aquinas wrote:What basis can you "guarantee" anything? You didn't even read anything, as you admit, and if you had, you'd see that you are clearly wrong about many assertions you make, given the argument I posted ealier in this thread. I find it ironic that while you imply you like to think about things critically (as opposed to those who rely on the Bible for arguments), you don't even read what you are criticizing! Great example for everyone of your critical thinking skills.

Resorting to ad hominems already Aquinas? Yes, I'm going out on a limb by guaranteeing there is no transparent proof a god exists. I think it would have hit the news by now, if what you argue for, is a reality, which can be transparently proven to all.
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

Re: Reply to marg

Post by _Aquinas »

My quoted statement above is not a criticism.

Looks like if you're not reading something of mine, you are misreading it. I cited your "statement above" to show that you didn't read anything, not to show that you were criticizing me. Read what I wrote in context.

You have an incorrect assumption that on this message board everyone has a God belief. I'm an atheist, at no time in my entire life did I have a God belief. I will look at your 5 proofs and comment later, it's currently late, tomorrow I'm on a day trip but the day after.

No, I didn't assume that all the members on the message board claimed a belief in God, but many do, and definately the person whom I addressed my argument to did claim belief in God. So in his case, my assumption was correct.

Yes, I'm going out on a limb by guaranteeing there is no transparent proof a god exists. I think it would have hit the news by now, if what you argue for, is a reality, which can be transparently proven to all.

You provide no basis for your claim that a reality can be transparently proven to all, nor a definition of "transparent," a very ambiguous term in the sense you are using it. Can the "reality" of the earth's rotation around the sun be proven to a severly retarded person? No, thus not all transparent "realities" can be proven to all.