Book of Mormon archeology in the field.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Book of Mormon archeology in the field.

Post by _Gazelam »

I don't know if any of you have come across this mans website before, but apparently this man, on his own, has been actively researching and traveling around possible Book of Mormon sites in an effort to find various cities mentioned in the scriptures.

Heres the website: http://mormonsites.org/page5.html

His name is Dr. Jerry L. Ainsworth. Places of interest are the article regarding the straight and narrow pass, and why he thinks that the place this train travels could be it. Look fo rthe picture of the train tracks to find that article.

Also his mention of possible locations of Teancum and Desolation. I don't know if hes right or not, but its interesting reading.

Towards the end he mentions Brant Gardener and answers some questions he posed. I know Scratch has mentioned this Gardener before.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

It was a little difficult to go on after reading just the first two paragraphs. Gaz, you think this guy is normal?

I read the books of Mormon, Ether and Moroni every day for eight years. And I mean read them. I dwelt on, contemplated and prayed about every verse. After doing this for the first five years, I finally began to understand them and grow closer to Mormon and Moroni, especially Moroni. I am very close to him - consider him to be a friend. On a couple of occasions I prayed that I might feel what he felt, "walk in his shoes," so to speak. The Lord allowed me to do so on a couple of occasions and it was scary, and at some times very painful. I never knew the position that Moroni had in the eternity's, (especially as it relates to this continent), until I wrote this book. And then, wow!

After the manuscript had been edited, for the last time, I sat at my desk and read it. At the end of each page I knelt and prayed, asking if there was anything incorrect, to please let me know. I was instructed to change a few things. It was a very spiritual experience. When I first asked the Lord to allow me to experience some of what Moroni did, He actually did so, (on just one issue), and when I had the experience, I cried for hours from the pain and appreciation. Moroni was a great man. I don't wish to take anything from his father, as he was a marvelous and stalwart servant. But he never got to see and experience what his son did. Moroni was so humble. For 950 years his genealogy had never gone outside of the descendants of Nephi. (Mormon says he was a pure descendant of Nephi). Then Mormon married a Lamanite woman (from the People of Ammon), and for the first time in 950 years there was no pure child from that lineage. And even worse, a half breed - half Lamanite.

Two sheets to the wind, or on the way to the loony bin. But what do I know? I don't have the Spirit.
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I don't know anything about this guy other than hes out there digging in the dirt for evidence. I thought there were some interesting things in there, especially about maybe finding Desolation, Teancum, and the straight and narrow pass.

Judge for yourself.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Dr. Ainsworth is discredited by most real Mormon scholars, including by Mr. Gardner.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Well, at least he's got 'spiritual confirmation' on his side. We all know how accurate that is, right?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...