EEK - Precipitously demoted to Telestial? One step from OD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Dr. Shades wrote:
skippy the dead wrote:Nope - they're both wrong. Juliann is claiming credit for the move!

You've got to be joking!

How can she claim credit, when I was the one who moved it after I read its content?

She used her special SCMC decoder ring delivered to her by the secret Mormon service. It was disguised in a box of KKD.

With said ring she encoded a special message that signaled the Kolobian Quantum Computer (patent pending) to magically shift the bits in MDB's web server.

That message, need you ask was..."Drink your ovaltine!"
Last edited by FAST Enterprise [Crawler] on Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

VegasRefugee wrote:That message, need you ask was..."Drink your ovaltine!"

Nice... Christmas Story reference FTW!
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Re: EEK - Precipitously demoted to Telestial? One step from

Post by _Bryan Inks »

Nightingale wrote:Hey. I just saw that the "suicide thread" has been sent from Terrestrial to Telestial. Why?

I didn't know that could happen.

What if a poster chooses not to participate in that forum? Having a thread moved there makes it look like that's the forum all those previous posters were in when they participated but that is not the case.

I know that to many, that doesn't matter and is perhaps even preferable but to others it actually does matter.

I don't see anything that would make it need to go there - could someone explain it to me? I think so far, from what I've seen, it's not disrespectful to the temple or giving too much detail.

I'm wondering in particular about that thread but also just in general as board policy. Could the part that degenerates, if any, be cast into the T/OD spheres but the acceptable part be left as is in the original forum?

I don't particularly avoid Telestial but don't spend much time there either. I may not have chosen to participate on that thread if it had originated there. That's pretty much all I am trying to say.

Since when should an adult human care what other's think of their postings? You know it didn't start there. I know it didn't start there. If you posted and it got moved, then it got moved. And if someone thinks that *gasp* you would participate in a thread on a forum. . .

Sorry, I can't even type this out with a straight face.

Grow up.
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightingale »

Uh, I think I made it abundantly clear that I was JOKING while at the same time just trying to get to know how the board works. For heaven's sake, I think I am OK with the rep thing - it was an obvious joke.

Thanks for the information, for those who provided it. Now I am better informed than I was. I appreciate that.

[Edited negative comment due to apology received, appreciated and accepted.]

Shades - I think it's great that thread movement is done to accomodate all board visitors. I'm sorry, I guess I didn't read the parts that may have been objectionable. Either that or I'm no longer sensitive to general temple talk? (Maybe never was). I came after the oaths.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Nightingale wrote:Uh, I think I made it abundantly clear that I was JOKING while at the same time just trying to get to know how the board works. For heaven's sake, I think I am OK with the rep thing - it was an obvious joke.

Thanks for the information, for those who provided it. Now I am better informed than I was. I appreciate that.

As for Inks, nice way to make a newbie feel welcome.

What the hell is the matter with you? I'm grown up just fine thankyouverymuch.

Shades - I think it's great that thread movement is done to accomodate all board visitors. I'm sorry, I guess I didn't read the parts that may have been objectionable. Either that or I'm no longer sensitive to general temple talk? (Maybe never was). I came after the oaths.

Ah - but don't worry. Juliann has your back:

Now they have a poster complaining that she has to go into the sludge folder to stay with the "Celestial" thread.

Never mind that the thread started in Terrestrial, or that there remains a convenient link to the post from the Terrestrial index (so that folks don't need to even open the Telestial folder if they're not so inclined).

Funny, I didn't see an actual complaint from you, though. You don't suppose that juliann is mis-characterizing the situation for sensationalistic value, do you? That couldn't possibly be!
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightingale »

Thanks Skip.

I do seriously worry about people's reading comprehension skills. I didn't see me complaining either. My intent was to ask for and hopefully receive some information about how the board works.

When I said this:

"What if a poster chooses not to participate in that forum? Having a thread moved there makes it look like that's the forum all those previous posters were in when they participated but that is not the case.

I know that to many, that doesn't matter and is perhaps even preferable but to others it actually does matter."...

I was pretty much thinking of Mormon posters. I've read some say that they participate in this forum but not the other one and that's how they are comfortable on this board.

It doesn't really help for other posters to deride people's choices on that. This board specifically invites "all" participants and seems to make quite an effort to accommodate a range of tastes. If that isn't how it really is, or if that isn't how some posters want it to be, how is that any different from the puzzling (to me) situation at FAIR/MADB where "all" participants are invited yet find out, often the hard way, that they aren't really welcome at all?

What is unfortunate is that what started out as a discussion about a depressed man who committed suicide and his grieving mother, left to question why, ended up needing to be moved for profanity (and arguing?) He kind of got lost in the mix there. Maybe that happened to him in life too.

A lot of people really don't enjoy a quarrelsome atmosphere. Then again, looks like some people do and it kind of spills over.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:That message, need you ask was..."Drink your ovaltine!"

Nice... Christmas Story reference FTW!

I imagine Grampa75 may well remember the original Ovaltine commercials, many years before Jean Shepherd's Christmas Story.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

This does lead to a bit of a problem which Juliann pointed out on the Critic thread at MADB and I think she has a valid point.

Shades, if, rather than requiring the participants respect the board rules, you move a thread when it gets out of hand, you really aren't being fair to the thread originator. Maybe you could allow the Thread originator to have some say in the decision. If Nightingale wanted a respectful dialogue on this topic, it would have been nice to give her the option of allowing the mods to remove explicit temple content and profanity so that the thread could stay in Terrestrial or Celestial.

If she didn't care, then fine--let a thread move to Telestial. But I should point out that to be fair to the thread originators who do care, I hope that bumping threads won't become the routine way to handle forum violations. Anyway, just my 2 cents.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Alter Idem wrote:This does lead to a bit of a problem which Juliann pointed out on the Critic thread at MADB and I think she has a valid point.

Shades, if, rather than requiring the participants respect the board rules, you move a thread when it gets out of hand, you really aren't being fair to the thread originator. Maybe you could allow the Thread originator to have some say in the decision. If Nightingale wanted a respectful dialogue on this topic, it would have been nice to give her the option of allowing the mods to remove explicit temple content and profanity so that the thread could stay in Terrestrial or Celestial.

If she didn't care, then fine--let a thread move to Telestial. But I should point out that to be fair to the thread originators who do care, I hope that bumping threads won't become the routine way to handle forum violations. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I actually agree as well. I mean, if you have a critic getting his butt kicked in the celestial forum, then all he has to do is drop a few f-bombs, and get the thread moved to the telestial forum, where he knows the TBM won't go. And that's all she wrote.

What about just moving inappropriate posts to a different forum? Or copying the thread in its entirety to another forum, and deleting the innapropriate posts from the celestial forum?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...