EEK - Precipitously demoted to Telestial? One step from OD?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Who Knows wrote:I actually agree as well. I mean, if you have a critic getting his butt kicked in the celestial forum, then all he has to do is drop a few f-bombs, and get the thread moved to the telestial forum, where he knows the TBM won't go. And that's all she wrote.

The reverse is true as well. What about threeads where apologists are getting their hinnies handed to them, someone drops the f-bomb? You end up with the apologists claiming the thread is some how invalid, no matter if the cricics were making a more persuasive arguement, simplely because of a style-over-substance fallacy. Last time I checked, dropping the vulgarities were not a form of debate fallacy.

All that does is force the critic/apologist to have to restate their entire case and the issue basically never gets resovled.

Best bet is to grow some thicker skin and realize that "dirty words" does not equal poor intelligence, nor does it negate debate points.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Alter Idem wrote:Shades, if, rather than requiring the participants respect the board rules, you move a thread when it gets out of hand, you really aren't being fair to the thread originator. Maybe you could allow the Thread originator to have some say in the decision.

I totally agree with that. If no one complains, however, I have no choice but to assume the thread originator is willing to leave it in my hands.

If Nightingale wanted a respectful dialogue on this topic, it would have been nice to give her the option of allowing the mods to remove explicit temple content and profanity so that the thread could stay in Terrestrial or Celestial.

That sounds reasonable. But in such a case, it would be best if she PMed me her concerns so I know what to remove. Otherwise I'm flying more or less blind.

If she didn't care, then fine--let a thread move to Telestial. But I should point out that to be fair to the thread originators who do care, I hope that bumping threads won't become the routine way to handle forum violations. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

You definitely have a point. But then the potential for another problem rears its ugly head: If lots of people are participating in a thread in their own, uh, unique way, does it become censorship if I start deleting and splitting posts off merely because the originating poster wants things to be just so? How much ownership does any thread originator really have, if the idea behind this message board is that everyone has a voice and all are both welcome and equal?

So, that's the balance I have to strike. I really and truly wish to allow everyone a free voice, but at the same time I want to give participants what they ask for, which in our case has been the ability to choose their own comfort level.

But, for the time being, I think things are running okay. Sure, there have been a few thread moves here and there, but I don't think it's become epidemic yet (knock on wood).

who knows wrote:I actually agree as well. I mean, if you have a critic getting his butt kicked in the celestial forum, then all he has to do is drop a few f-bombs, and get the thread moved to the telestial forum, where he knows the TBM won't go. And that's all she wrote.

You're absolutely right. I've already thought of that, and I hope it doesn't happen. So far we've been lucky.

What about just moving inappropriate posts to a different forum?

I've done it once or twice, but it's rather difficult if all the offending posts are nevertheless on-topic. In such a case, a new thread pops up in a different forum with all posts totally out of context.

Or copying the thread in its entirety to another forum, and deleting the innapropriate posts from the celestial forum?

I'm afraid with this board's software it's impossible to clone a thread. The whole thing either moves or stays; it doesn't copy.

At any rate, I realize it's impossible to please all the people all the time. The best I can do is try to make as many people happy as much of the time as possible. At the very least, I hope everyone agrees that I'm far, far better than the MA&D moderators.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Nightingale
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightingale »

Thanks, Alter Idem. I appreciate your comments. One slight correction, though. I was not the thread originator of the "suicide" thread. I did post the mom's RfM post and tried to sort out some of the apparent misunderstandings about the situation (as I understand them myself, my only knowledge being from what I read on the RfM thread).

When I did start a thread (this one) to ask about the other thread being moved to a "lower" forum, that was my main purpose - just to get information about how the board works and also what it was about that thread that needed to be moved (I hadn't followed the graphic descriptions or tied them into temple activities or seen/noted any profanity at that point). I was surprised because I didn't know that a thread would be moved like that and I can see problems with that, given the mixed group of participants here. I wasn't thinking about myself so much re which forum a thread or post gets into but more about LDS posters, and others, who would choose not to read or post in Telestial but could find their thread or post over there without warning. If that would startle me, when it's not a matter of my religious faith which forum I'm in (generally speaking) I can see how undesirable it could be to some/all people who are in that group. If you want to attract posters across such a diverse spectrum and you set up the board so that there are rooms for various tastes, it seems that it is very important to preserve the separations between the rooms and the choice posters make about where they wish to participate.

I saw Dr. Shades' comment that the three levels aren't meant to be higher or lower than each other but the fact is, they are visualized that way, both in the theology from which they are drawn and by their nature here on this board, depending on your point of view. If as an LDS participant (or one any faith) you wish to read and post here, only in certain rooms, but depending on replies to your thread or on any thread in which you are posting, your post can move "up" or "down" without warning between the different levels that seems to me to be significant and possibly a reason why some people would decide they couldn't participate here after all.

As Dr. Shades has asked for input, I'll say that I think the best practice would be to consider the original poster and their post, if it meets the guidelines for the chosen forum, as the immovable unit and all the replies have to be subject to the rules in the forum in which the OP chose to post their thread. Rather than moving the entire thread if some unacceptable replies are received (thereby signifying that the OP has no control over their own thread's placement) wouldn't it be better to preserve an opening post and all acceptable replies and get rid of any offending ones? (Offending meaning not suitable for that forum or not suitable for the board - if there is such a beast!)

I realize there are board moderation issues there, if it becomes a lot of work to edit replies that don't follow forum guidelines. Maybe that highlights how tough it is, really, to have "no moderation" or total "free speech" but it would seem a necessary burden if it's accepted that a thread originator should be allowed to remain in the forum they chose, not subject to whatever replies may invade their thread.

I agree with the poster who said that moving threads opens the way to manipulation too. What a fun little game (to some) to try and get threads moved (maybe especially threads originated by TBMs who choose not to post in Telestial).

Maybe the only solution is that if a reply violates guidelines it has to get zapped, preserving the thread and its acceptable replies in the original forum. That is more work for mods but preserves the users' choice about where to place their thread. I guess you have to find a balance between conflicting priorities on that?

Dr. Shades wrote:
Alter Idem wrote:
If Nightingale wanted a respectful dialogue on this topic, it would have been nice to give her the option of allowing the mods to remove explicit temple content and profanity so that the thread could stay in Terrestrial or Celestial.

Ack, I messed up the quote but Dr. S basically said if I have a problem PM him. I didn't specifically question Admin as I didn't have a personal issue about that specific thread being moved. But the idea of it, in general, I'm not in favour of, as explained above.

Maybe there could be an understanding, or a guideline, that if a thread topic is clearly labelled "Temple Content", LDS participants could choose not to open it, of course, and then the discussion just develops as it will. And if someone originates one in Telestial, well then it's every person for themselves! I don't think you could expect to have a temple content thread in any forum except Celestial that would NOT be potentially offensive to LDS readers/posters. With that as a given, it shouldn't be necessary to edit a thread that contains "temple content" to try and make it acceptable to TBMs when that is likely a fruitless endeavour.

Shades: "If lots of people are participating in a thread in their own, uh, unique way, does it become censorship if I start deleting and splitting posts off merely because the originating poster wants things to be just so? How much ownership does any thread originator really have, if the idea behind this message board is that everyone has a voice and all are both welcome and equal?"

It's very difficult to find that balance, as you say. That's where the primary ideals must be clearly outlined and against those these questions are measured and the answer is easier to see. For instance, is "no censorship" the primary ideal or is it "not too much work for the mods" or "thread originators get to choose their own forum" or ??? Whichever ideal is higher in priority offers the answer as each issue arises.

I, for one, do not think that a thread originator "owns" anything other than their own originating post and the choice of venue for it. In the interest of free discussion (my preference) anything goes after that in terms of which piece of the OP someone wishes to answer (but still must stay within forum guidelines for content and style). In other words, at FAIR (not sure about MADB) there was a lot of emphasis on what constituted a "tangent" from the OP. Also, the OP seemed to be given special "control" over how they wanted their thread to go. That approach stifled discussion, in my opinion. Some topics create natural tangents and those can be fascinating and related to the OP. Trying to micromanage that kind of thing must be very difficult on mods as well as thread participants.

To achieve the ideal stated by Shades (all are welcome and equal) it would seem you must preserve the definition of each forum, within IT, and not by having to move threads out of one and into another (unless the OP chose the wrong forum to start with in which case it's an understandable - and maybe helpful - move). The "everyone welcome" part is achieved by there being clearly defined separate areas. The "everyone equal" part is that people choose where to start threads and where to post replies and all are expected to respect the guidelines for each area. If they do not, that damages the board for every participant and their posts being zapped or moved is NOT censorship, injustice or inequality, it's just mods helping the board run smoothly.

The more clearly you state your ideals (board purpose and approach) and the more objective you make the modding decisions (not 100% possible) the less you have to agonize over subjectivity and "censorship". So instead of the ideal of having a completely mod-free, free-speech board (not usually possible!) the ideal is that within these simple parameters you want to make everyone feel welcome and equal. The mods are tasked with protecting that and the posters, in that sense, actually come second to the smooth running of the board for the benefit of the majority. Managing that while catering to a diverse group is quite an achievement.

Shades: "I really and truly wish to allow everyone a free voice, but at the same time I want to give participants what they ask for, which in our case has been the ability to choose their own comfort level."

Exactly. But a big part of that "comfort level" is choosing which forum they want, right? So if you move someone from Celestial or Terrestrial (two areas where LDS/others may feel comfortable enough) to the Telestial (where they may choose never to read or post) you are not allowing them to choose their own level, literally.

Shades: "Sure, there have been a few thread moves here and there, but I don't think it's become epidemic yet".

But it could be, if someone decides to try manipulating things.

Shades: "I hope everyone agrees that I'm far, far better than the MA&D moderators."

Given how a majority here feels about the MAD mods, are you sure that's the yardstick you want to use in determining your own level of mod madness? [smiley]
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Guys and girls, I knew the thread was going to undergo Forum Shift as soon as I saw the temple content in it. I made the thread even worse by flying my B1 mouth in and dropping some heavy ordinance.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

What about just moving inappropriate posts to a different forum? Or copying the thread in its entirety to another forum, and deleting the innapropriate posts from the celestial forum?

How about if we, as posters, do a better job of keeping to the rules of each forum? Shades shouldn't have to police us; we should stay true to the concept of the individual forums, and do our best to stay within the guidelines. There shouldn't be any threads ever moved to a different forum, because we should be adult enough to abide by the few rules that Shades gives us to follow. I mean, geez... it's not like we're kids and need a rating system.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

harmony wrote:How about if we, as posters, do a better job of keeping to the rules of each forum? Shades shouldn't have to police us; we should stay true to the concept of the individual forums, and do our best to stay within the guidelines. There shouldn't be any threads ever moved to a different forum, because we should be adult enough to abide by the few rules that Shades gives us to follow. I mean, geez... it's not like we're kids and need a rating system.

THANK YOU, Harmony!! I love you. I really, really love you. After all the latest goings-on, your post was like a breath of much-needed fresh air. Like a glass of icewater to a dying man in the desert.

Take note, everyone, and please heed Harmony's words, if for no other reason than to preserve the sanity of your overstressed moderators!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

VegasRefugee wrote:Guys and girls, I knew the thread was going to undergo Forum Shift as soon as I saw the temple content in it. I made the thread even worse by flying my B1 mouth in and dropping some heavy ordinance.

ROFL. This is an incredibly funny post. Does anybody else see what I'm getting at here? :-)
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Sethbag wrote:
VegasRefugee wrote:Guys and girls, I knew the thread was going to undergo Forum Shift as soon as I saw the temple content in it. I made the thread even worse by flying my B1 mouth in and dropping some heavy ordinance.

ROFL. This is an incredibly funny post. Does anybody else see what I'm getting at here? :-)

Nobody? Come on, this was one of the best puns I've seen on any of these boards in a good long while. Humor me, someone!
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Sethbag wrote:
Sethbag wrote:

Nobody? Come on, this was one of the best puns I've seen on any of these boards in a good long while. Humor me, someone!

I tried man - i really did. But i don't see it.

(although i'm not the best at picking up these types of things)
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Sethbag wrote:
Sethbag wrote:

He dropped an F-bomb (as opposed to an A-bomb)? I think it's slightly humorous, but I don't see a pun.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO