What if you ask and the anwer is.....

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: What if you ask and the anwer is.....

Post by _Jason Bourne »

To Kimberly Ann and MG, thanks for your kind words.

MG, I think I on on the path that you trod. Sounds very much like what I am experiencing. Thanks for sharing.
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Sono_hito wrote:yup, in fact if a couple divorces, the man has full right to be sealed to any new wife he gets. While the woman must ask permission from the ex-husband to be sealed to any new husband. The church can deny your sealing if the 1st husband says no.

The opposite is true as well.

I am married to a Mormon woman who was sealed to her 1st husband.

So, as a non-mormon myself, I guess I won't see her in the afterlife, as she'll be back with him, even though she left him in this life, obviously indicating that she did not want to be with him.

What sort of compassionate god would force someone to go back with someone against their will? I thought we all had free will.

Doesn't make sense to me.
"What does God need with a starship?" - Captain James T. Kirk

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Re: What if you ask and the anwer is.....

Post by _ozemc »

Runtu wrote:
KimberlyAnn wrote:And for Runtu - you know how I feel about attending the Mormon church as a non-believer. It's not something to be admired, in my opinion.

KA

Let me clarify. I don't think anyone here is attending as a nonbeliever. Some people have been able to maintain belief while jettisoning the bad aspects of the church. I think that's admirable. I couldn't do it, but some people can.

I do go to sacrament meetings to support my wife and her son. I then leave and go to my church, which she sometimes attends as well, provided the 2nd and 3rd hour at the ward are not something she wants to hear.

But, everyone there knows that I am not a member, and have no intention of ever becoming one.

Most people would like to be delivered from temptation but would like it to keep in touch. - Robert Orben
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Sono_hito wrote:yup, in fact if a couple divorces, the man has full right to be sealed to any new wife he gets. While the woman must ask permission from the ex-husband to be sealed to any new husband. The church can deny your sealing if the 1st husband says no.

Well not quite right. The husband needs a sealing clearence if he was sealed before, The women needs a cancellation.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Ozemc

Post by _Gazelam »

If you would bother to read the questions at hand, Jason has expressed the prcise point where his belief is in question. I was responding to his exact question.

Please pay attention before spewing your bile.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

reply to Jason Bourne

Post by _Aquinas »

I can assure you I have little pride or hubirs left in me. I have much less then when I tought I knew it all. I am beat down and very discouraged about all of this. I will grant I really do not know what you know or what anyone knows. But when we say we know in what the snese of knowing means, I never really knew like I know the apple will hit the ground when I drop it. Spiritual witnesses lack empirical evidence and thus are not perfect knowledge.

God bless you Jason. You are an honest man, and your humility before truth is inspiring. Do not be discouraged by those around you. Aristotle was a student of Plato's. He understood Plato's metaphysics very well, but disagreed with most of it. Before writing one of his greatest books that clearly flew in the face of Platonic philosophy, Aristotle wrote: "Plato is dear to me, but dearer still is truth." It is a difficult road to travel, the reality is that most people don't like the truth. That is why Socrates was put to deafth and why mankind crucified Jesus.

I encourage you to not be discouraged to the point of thinking that all Christianity, likewise, bases belief on the principle of blind faith. Here is the way the Catholic church views truth:

1. If God is the source of truth, then all truth leads to God
2. God is the source of truth
3. Therefore, all truth leads to God

There are plenty of logical arguments as well as historical evidence to support claims for Christianity, please give that due consideration before discounting a Christian church as a possibility for refuge. That is all I will say.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

ozemc wrote:

So, as a non-mormon myself, I guess I won't see her in the afterlife, as she'll be back with him, even though she left him in this life, obviously indicating that she did not want to be with him.

What sort of compassionate god would force someone to go back with someone against their will? I thought we all had free will.

you know that's wierd. My mother remarried 4 years ago and this issue came up for her and not for my biological father. He got sealed to his new wife and there was a short battle over my mother getting my fathers permission for sealing to her new husband.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Re: Ozemc

Post by _ozemc »

Gazelam wrote:If you would bother to read the questions at hand, Jason has expressed the prcise point where his belief is in question. I was responding to his exact question.

Please pay attention before spewing your bile.

Bile? And what bile would that be, Gaz? That the Book of Abraham has been proven to be something different than what it is claimed to be?

I responded as well.

I do think that your response is very canned TBM material.

It could actually be from any fundamentalist-type religion.

The answer is always that same: "You just need to <pray more, read the scriptures, etc>".

What if that is not the answer for that person? They've done all that, and still the answer is no?

What do they do then?

You know, faith without reason can be a very comforting thing, I guess, to some people.

I actually had someone once tell me that dinosaur bones were put there by the devil to confuse us.

_ozemc
_Emeritus

Post by _ozemc »

Sono_hito wrote:
ozemc wrote:

you know that's wierd. My mother remarried 4 years ago and this issue came up for her and not for my biological father. He got sealed to his new wife and there was a short battle over my mother getting my fathers permission for sealing to her new husband.

My wife has some issues with it, but I do think she's just kind of let it go, and doesn't really think about it.