I quit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

I quit

Post by _Runtu »

I finally realized that it really doesn't help to nag people about being nice, so I'm just going to put on my own mental filters and let you all have at it. I think we do much better when we treat each other with kindness, avoid personal attacks and insults, and avoid vulgarity and profanity.

But I realize that you are not me, and vice versa. I like all of you and hope we can be civil. But I have decided to quit nagging about it.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Re: I quit

Post by _Yoda »

Runtu wrote:I finally realized that it really doesn't help to nag people about being nice, so I'm just going to put on my own mental filters and let you all have at it. I think we do much better when we treat each other with kindness, avoid personal attacks and insults, and avoid vulgarity and profanity.

But I realize that you are not me, and vice versa. I like all of you and hope we can be civil. But I have decided to quit nagging about it.

You gave me heart failure! When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were leaving us. You're NOT leaving us, right?

As far as nagging goes....I promise to try not to nag quite so much about being civil, but I can't promise anything. There's too much Mom in me. LOL ;)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

liz3564 wrote:You gave me heart failure! When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were leaving us. You're NOT leaving us, right?

As far as nagging goes....I promise to try not to nag quite so much about being civil, but I can't promise anything. There's too much Mom in me. LOL ;)

No, I'm not going anywhere. For whatever reason, I was thinking this morning that maybe Juliann was right and I shouldn't be a scold and a nanny. It doesn't really accomplish anything (unless you're a mod, and who wants to do that? *shudder*).
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Runtu wrote:
liz3564 wrote:You gave me heart failure! When I saw the title of the thread, I thought you were leaving us. You're NOT leaving us, right?

No, I'm not going anywhere. For whatever reason, I was thinking this morning that maybe Juliann was right and I shouldn't be a scold and a nanny. It doesn't really accomplish anything (unless you're a mod, and who wants to do that? *shudder*).

I suppose I'm a glutton for punishment. ;)

Actually, when I wear my "Mod hat", I try to be neutral.

It's when I wear my "Liz poster hat" that I nag about being nice. LOL
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

For the record, I've never viewed you as a scold or nag. Maybe I'm reading the wrong threads. ;)
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I think it helps when posters step up and help try to maintain decorum on the forums. For instance, if Runtu could help wrestle VegasRefugee, Polygamy Porter and Coggins to the ground and have Liz pummel them a few times when they get out of line, it would be swell.

I know that being a moderator for some of the Mormon forums at Beliefnet, I would truly appreciate someone like Runtu helping maintain order. What I sometimes get however is one of the more conservative Mormon posters wanting me to eject someone for not being Mormon enough. I have to remind them that nobody can forsee which way our future pathways will go and that besides, I have no way to check their Temple recommends. Oy!

When Runtu feels fiesty again, I would recommend he resume his advocacy for respectful behavior.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_grayskull
_Emeritus

Dealing with Evil Organizations

Post by _grayskull »

For those who like a fight, they know who they are and how to get results. For those who want peace with the opposition, or to work under the radar of the oposition, consider an example. The IRS. We all know the IRS is corrupt and evil. More evil than FAIR probably, and more evil than FAIR's official website MAD, whose participants' opinions I take as officially representing what FAIR believes and endorses as an organization.

There are two ways to cheat the IRS, looking at it from their perspective. From a taxpayers perspective, there are two ways to keep the IRS from stealing from you. In either case, there are two ways by which you can operate within what you believe is the fair interpretation of the rules as opposed to what they believe is the fair interpretation of their rules.

Method 1)

Take your income and your side businesses and all that, and come up with what you think is a fair tax. Something somewhat, or even substantially less than what the IRS might think they deserve. Now report your income such that the tax works out to be what you think you should owe. Don't mess around with a lot of deductions and extra worksheets. Pick a number, pay the whole tax on that number.

Method 2)

Take all your income sources, report everything. Stick to the letter of the law as you understand it. Now, go through and dream up every deduction that you might possibly be entitled to. Call them on every possible technicality. Make your processor weed through worksheet after worksheet and crunch numbers down to the cent. Report every pen and paper clip that you might have used for your business, or front business, and multiply its cost by the percentage of use you think it fulfilled in your business verses personal affairs. Make it clear that you're going to beat them at their own game.

Now, there are never any guarantees, but which method do you think works best? I happen to know the answer because I know people, who know people, who aren't great taxpayers or even stellar Americans, yet who never seem to get in trouble. And then there are the moralistic and self-righteous small business owners who get screwed all the time in audits.

I also happen to know, as one who posted on MAD/FAIR for a very long time with the explicit intent of ridiculing church doctrine, attacking most of the powers that be there (except DCP), including Juliann, regularily, and glorying in the work of the devil, that it's possible to say what you have to say. As I never got queued, suspended, banned, and I think only once or twice warned. I also never received a single angry PM or email from an LDS mod or poster there. And there's at least one other participant there who's still carrying on the work who knows this game I'd say even better than I do.