Reply to Aquinas's disproof of Mormonism

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

Re: Reply to Aquinas's disproof of Mormonism

Post by _Aquinas »

After reading your responses, it seems that we need to get some terms straight. Most of what Thomas Aquinas proves in this portion of the Summa is greatly reliant on former proofs he had already demonstrated earlier in the Summa. For example, he at this point has already demonstrated proof that 1) a Necessary being exists 2) a first mover exists 3) a first cause of all existing things exists 4) The greatest of all things exists 5) A supreme intelligence governs all natural things. This being is later proven to be one (see the argument I posted in this “what would it take to leave Mormonism?” thread) and properly called God (see The Summa Theologica Prima Pars Question 2 Article 3). I suppose if you were going to argue that the Mormon god exists, but is not any of these things, then you would avoid this philosophical problem of God’s oneness. You would, however, have an even greater problem, as the “god” of Mormonism would clearly be an infinitely lesser god than the one Thomas Aquinas describes in his proof, as he too would owe his existence to God (as God is the first cause of all existing things and governs all natural things). To keep our terms clear, I will refer to the god described by Mormonism as “Heavenly Father” while I will refer to the God described in Aquinas’ argument as “The First Mover.”

Aquinas wrote:I answer that, It can be shown from these three sources that God is one.
First from His simplicity. For it is manifest that the reason why any singular thing is "this particular thing" is because it cannot be communicated to many: since that whereby Socrates is a man, can be communicated to many; whereas, what makes him this particular man, is only communicable to one. Therefore, if Socrates were a man by what makes him to be this particular man, as there cannot be many Socrates, so there could not in that way be many men. Now this belongs to God alone; for God Himself is His own nature, as was shown above (3, 3). Therefore, in the very same way God is God, and He is this God. Impossible is it therefore that many Gods should exist.

...even the Bible proves that there are other beings called god ...Try... 2 Cor. 4:4 "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them." You don't believe that Heavenly Father and Satan are the same god do you?

Yes, indeed scripture uses the word “god” (lowercase “g” in English translations) to describe a number of things; here it is used to describe Satan. In the Old Testament it was used to describe the idols pagans worshiped, hence the first commandment “I am the LORD your God, you shall not put other gods before me.” Also, Psalm 83:6-7 reads “I said ‘you are “gods” you are all sons of the Most High, But you will die like mere men, you will fall like every other ruler.” NIV scholars indicated that the word “god” used here can be understood to mean judges or rulers of God’s people. Lowercase g “god” in our English is derived from the Hebrew “elohim” in the Old Testament, which is not synonymous with the Hebrew Yaweh, or “LORD” in the English version. I am not familiar with the New Testament Greek words, but the fact that there is a distinction in the English of lower and uppercase “G’s” indicates that the words are not the same in the Greek either. I am unable to give an entire defense for the teachings in the Bible, but it should be clear for anyone who studies scripture that Yaweh is the same as the First Mover Aquinas proves exists (see above reference for the entire argument). We need not, however, rely on any scripture to be able to accept Aquinas’ arguments that 1) God (the First Mover) exists 2) He is his own nature and 3) He is one. These are philosophical, not theological proofs. He does not appeal to any scripture in his actual arguments, only in the objections he anticipates (which would most likely have come from other Christians or Heretics at the time).

Furthermore we learn that we are to be one with Jesus as He is one with the Father: "And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" (John 17:22)

The verse you quote here is more appropriately understood to mean that the believers are to be one with all other believers, not one with Jesus as the first part of your sentence claims. The oneness Jesus shares with the Father is the comparison Jesus illustrates to show what kind of oneness he prays for the believers to have with each other. Thus, given this verse, it would have no impact on God’s oneness that Aquinas proves. Also, this prayer could be understood to mean a mystical oneness, as in being one in mission, rather than a substantial oneness, as in one being, the later sense of oneness is what Aquinas’ argument deals with, while the former is one way this scripture can be interpreted.

"Mr. President" (the president of the United States of America) is a particular man (George W. Bush) and the only president of the US with whom we have to do. However, there have been many Mr. Presidents (of the USA) in the past and there will almost certainly be more in the future.

This is the only part of your response that addresses the first part of Aquinas’ argument for God’s oneness. You neglected to see that Aquinas explicitly dealt with this (in his Socrates example); indicating that unlike Socrates (or any other person) God is his own nature. Thus if GWB was his own presidential nature, He would not only be GWB, he would be presidency itself, and clearly (in such a bizarre example) no one else could be president, as GWB and presidency would be the same substance. God is unique from creation in that He is His own nature. Lucky for you (lol) Aquinas also has a proof for God (The First Mover) being his own nature (see Summa, Prima Pars, Question 3 Article 3, here is the link for the internet: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1003.htm).

Aquinas wrote:Secondly, this is proved from the infinity of His perfection. For it was shown above (4, 2) that God comprehends in Himself the whole perfection of being. If then many gods existed, they would necessarily differ from each other. Something therefore would belong to one which did not belong to another. And if this were a privation, one of them would not be absolutely perfect; but if a perfection, one of them would be without it. So it is impossible for many gods to exist. Hence also the ancient philosophers, constrained as it were by truth, when they asserted an infinite principle, asserted likewise that there was only one such principle.

What if they differ from each other only in location or their favorite color or some other trival matter? Do the differences have to be in perfection or privation? One can be distinguished by trivial differences (in my opinion that trivial difference would be location). Look, when we look at the atomic world, each electron is more or less indistinguishable from another other than properties such as present energy and spin. Yet each of those electrons are perfectly capable of changing their energy, spin or other properties. As far as being an electron goes, they do not lack any perfection of another. They are, in an important sense, equal.

Yes, indeed things (like electrons) can differ from each other in “trivial” matters, such as location. Aristotle would call these “accidental” differences. However, God’s infinite perfections, which are what Thomas Aquinas is addressing, are not aksidental (sorry for the funky spelling, wouldn't let me post the real spelling for some reason) but rather substantial differences because they are infinite perfections.
An aksidental characteristic of mine is that I have brown hair. If I had another hair color, my essence wouldn’t change at all, because hair color has nothing to do with who or what I am. A substantial characteristic, however, is like the three sided-ness of a triangle. A triangle cannot be thought of in any other terms than a shape that has three sides, if it had four sides it would no longer be a triangle. Such is God. His perfections are infinite, thus his power (one of the many perfections of his) is infinite, and being infinite means there can only be one, making this characteristic also substantial, as it is only appropriately attributed to God.
Take two kings for example, one rules over a kingdom called “Mars” the other rules over a kingdom called “Earth.” Each king governs his own kingdom and has power over all things in his own kingdom, but would necessarily lack the power over the other kingdom. If one of the kings did have power over the other kingdom, there would only be, properly speaking, one king, as he would have power over both kingdoms. If however, you say both kings have equally infinite power over both kingdoms, they just choose to cooperated together, this is an impossibility, as neither king would have power over the other king, thus limiting both of their power. Now power is only one infinite characteristic of the First Mover, so this is also true of all other infinite characteristics of the First Mover, like knowledge, goodness, beauty, etc.

This from a world-renowned philosopher/theologian?

This is just an ignorant statement for two reasons, first you have not seen all the previous arguments he made up to this point, and do not understand that anything you could possibly think of as an objection, he probably already has. I had a philosophy instructor who had a class on Aquinas at Boston College and the only assignment for the entire semester was to create an objection to one of Aquinas’ arguments that was better than an objection Aquinas already pointed out himself. No one in the class was successful.
The second is that Aquinas’ writings have been around for centuries and his five proofs for the existence of God are still studied in most, if not all, philosophy programs. Do you think anything you have written or will ever write will be around even 10 years after you die? Spare us of your ignorance by not insulting great thinkers like Aquinas. Your arguments are decent, but not in the same league as his (neither are mine by the way, not even close. I too am an amateur, but I admit it).

Aquinas wrote:Thirdly, this is shown from the unity of the world. For all things that exist are seen to be ordered to each other since some serve others. But things that are diverse do not harmonize in the same order, unless they are ordered thereto by one. For many are reduced into one order by one better than by many: because one is the "per se" cause of one, and many are only the al cause of one, inasmuch as they are in some way one. Since therefore what is first is most perfect, and is so "per se" and not ally, it must be that the first which reduces all into one order should be only one. And this one is God.

First off, not everything needs to be ordered by something greater. I have a dual-core (multiprocessor) computer at home. Both cores are equal to each other--neither one orders the other around. Instead they communicate and cooridinate actions with each other through use of shared memory and concepts such as spinlocks, semaphores, mutexes, and the like. Now you may counter that they are following human instructions to coordinate their behavior and it is true. However, the humans that designed them also largely operate separately and equally, but coordinate their efforts through email, meetings, testing, and so on. But then perhaps you'll claim that there is a boss who has the final word. I disagree. The market has the final word. There is more than one OS maker and more than one CPU maker. The market choses who made the best decision by purchasing their products. The free market itself is an inherently distrubited decission making agent guided by nothing more than the "invisible hand".

You’ve just demonstrated by starting with the dual-core processor, that it can be traced back to be caused by something greater, which would be human instructions, which consists of a team of particular humans, of which there is a boss, and the boss is ultimately ordered by the market. You need not stop there though, for greater things still exist. The market consists of humans as well who, ultimately, are given motion (because all people have bodies) by the First Mover, which is one of Aquinas’ proofs for the existence of God, and of which there can only be one (as he is proving here). Thus, your first sentence “not everything needs to be ordered by something greater” you have already demonstrated half of the argument against that claim, I just finished it up for you. The “invisible hand” could be thought of as God, the cause of the desires within humanity that drive the market.

But, you will claim, everything that exists has a cause. Well, welcome to the 21st century. Have you ever heard of quantum mechanics? It appearst that many events do not really have a cause. They just happen. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_fluctuation

I went to the URL you cited, and I’ll be honest, I am neither a mathematician nor a physicist and I am not sure I understood all of it. From what I gathered, there seems to exist very brief (less than a second) fluctuations in energy that seem to violate the conservation of energy law in physics. Also, from what I gathered, conservation of energy means that energy remains constant, although the form may change (like from friction to kinetic; the example they gave). My guess is this is what you mean when you say many events do not really have a cause.

One explanation for such phenomena, which is at least in the realm of possibility, is that science is unable to determine a cause, at this time, for such occurrences. To argue inductively, since many other events can be shown to have a cause (the earth’s rotation is caused by the gravitational pull of the sun, a pool ball moves, the cause is the pool stick striking the ball, I cause light to enter a room by turning on a light switch, etc, etc, etc) it is highly likely that quantum fluctuation also has a cause. Likewise, many events (like the sun’s rising in the morning) were at one time in human history thought to have a cause different from the actual cause, only to be understood at a later time in history. In the sun example, the rising was attributed to a pagan god flying through the sky. Later, the cause was proven to be something else entirely, the earth rotating on its axis. Thus, it is likely, given the skepticism of modern science, that if an event did not seem to have a scientific causal explanation, no cause would be attributed to the event at all.

Secondly, modern thinking leads us to believe that only one (or at most two) causes exist for each event. Aristotle (who happened to be probably the most influential philosopher for Aquinas) and Aquinas had a much richer understanding of cause. There are four categories of causes that can be attributed to each event; material, efficient, essential and final. Very briefly, a material cause is used to explain an event’s matter, thus the cause of my body would be growth from a fetus to a body. An efficient cause would be the chain of events that caused me to be; thus all my ancestors who procreated throughout millions of years lead to the point of my conception. An essential cause explains what I am; I am human, I come from the form “humanness,” thus humanness explains my essence. Final cause (the most magnificent of all in my opinion) would explain my purpose, thus my purpose as a human being is to accept God and live the life he planned for me and also to use reason to understand the natural world, as humans are rational animals. In our modern world we have reduced causality only to the material and efficient cause of things, which is clear if you reflect on the way modern philosophers and scientist think and argue. This all may seem off the point, but I want to stress the importance of understanding that “causality” was much more richly understood by the ancient philosophers, and it is hard to make comparisons of causality to what modern science tells us, because they have reduced causality to only two of its four elements. This is not to say modern science is worthless and cannot demonstrate truth, in fact science has done just the opposite, but to think scientifically, we need not to reduce the meaning of causality, the way modern thinking tends to do. It is a fallacy to think that just because something is newer (modern thinking) it is more accurate or more truthful.

Finally there need not be a first God. Tell me what the smallest positive rational number is. By the way, I'm not saying that I know for certain that there was a God before our Heavenly Father. I'm just criticising your proof of one God.

Of course, there is no smallest rational number, nor a largest. But when Aquinas argues that God is infinite, he is not talking about numerically infinite, nor even quantatively infinite (as is obvious, since he is arguing that God (the first mover) is one). He is talking about infinite in power, goodness, beauty, etc, etc. “Infinite” is thus used in an entirely different sense than the example you gave. The meaning of infinite, in the sense Aquinas is arguing, is something that in no way is finite; and to be finite means to be limited. Thus, when we say God is infinite, it means he is not limited in any way (I used this definition from a former philosophy instructor of mine, who shall remain anonymous for privacy reasons).

Again, good post Asbestosman, I hope you give my responses due consideration. I can see you are indeed a lover of logic, and logic is a vehicle to truth and truth comes only from God.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Just wanted to tell you I haven't forgotten your response. I will reply in a bit, but I wanted to give it due consideration.

I apologize for seeming arrogant. I am under no delusion that I'm gonig to be remembered much past my death. I am no John von Neuman, Alan Turing, Edwin Dijkstra, Isaac Newton, nor anything of the sort. Even so, I think these men can make great mistakes. Isaac Newton was into alchemy. Roger Penrose's use of Godel's Theorem to prove A.I. is impossible is unconvincing. My object was mostly to express my utter surprise at something that seems so weak on the face of it--much as I would do for brilliant men such as Penrose and Newton.

I have one more example of a brilliant man who made a silly error: CS Lewis. Lewis was a very gifted thinker and writer. However, in Mere Christianity he argues that Jesus couldn't logically only be considered to be a great teacher but not divine. He argued that either Jesus was Lord, Liar, or Lunatic. While I agree that Jesus was Lord and certainly not Liar nor Lunatic, there are other possible points of view for people who do not share my belief. Some might suppose that Jesus was a great moral teacher, but that His disciples were liars or lunatics (Jesus did not write down His own words). One might suppose that Jesus was a lunatic and yet a great moral teacher. They are not contradictory. John Nash was a great mathematician, but he was also insane--schizophrenic. Despite his mental illness, he made great contributions to mathematics. While I agree with Lewis that one should avoid the patronizing idea of calling Jesus a great moral teacher but rejecting His divinity, I think Lewis's argument for that was fatally flawed. And this despite the fact that Lewis is almost certainly many times more brilliant than I can ever hope to be.

Anyhow, a better reply will be comming.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Aquinas
_Emeritus

Post by _Aquinas »

asbestosman wrote:Just wanted to tell you I haven't forgotten your response. I will reply in a bit, but I wanted to give it due consideration.

I anxiously await the response, thank you.

I have one more example of a brilliant man who made a silly error: CS Lewis. Lewis was a very gifted thinker and writer. However, in Mere Christianity he argues that Jesus couldn't logically only be considered to be a great teacher but not divine. He argued that either Jesus was Lord, Liar, or Lunatic.

Again, I wouldn't be so quick to call things like these "silly errors." If anything, CS Lewis just lacked further explaination into this claim. I for one find his argument very compelling (and by the way, I believe this argument was orginally G.K. Chesterton's, another Christian author whom C.S. Lewis greatly admired... but there is a chance I am wrong about that...). I am sorry if I offended you by stating your comment was ignorant, that was more of a reaction to the commonly held (and very modern) attitude that new is better.
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Aquinas wrote:After reading your responses, it seems that we need to get

some terms straight. Most of what Thomas Aquinas proves in this portion of

the Summa is greatly reliant on former proofs he had already demonstrated

earlier in the Summa. For example, he at this point has already

demonstrated proof that 1) a Necessary being exists 2) a first mover exists

3) a first cause of all existing things exists 4) The greatest of all

things exists 5) A supreme intelligence governs all natural things.

Sorry, but I just don't accept those things as logical necessities.

Hopefully it will become clear as to why that is later in the discussion.

Aquinas wrote:I suppose if you were going to argue that the Mormon god

exists, but is not any of these things, then you would avoid this

philosophical problem of God’s oneness.

Indeed I leave that a possibility.

Aquinas wrote:You would, however, have an even greater problem, as the

“god” of Mormonism would clearly be an infinitely lesser god than the one

Thomas Aquinas describes in his proof, as he too would owe his existence to

God (as God is the first cause of all existing things and governs all

natural things). To keep our terms clear, I will refer to the god described

by Mormonism as “Heavenly Father” while I will refer to the God described

in Aquinas’ argument as “The First Mover.”

Nope. There need not be a first mover. It could go back for eternity. But,

you will way, this still implies that any god who created "Heavenly Father"

is necessarily greater than He is. I disagree. For one, I think it possible

that there is an infinite chain of god which loops back on itself. Think of

it like a circle with an infinite radius. In complex analysis we have a

concept of something called a Riemann Sphere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rieman_sphere

It allows one to speak of infinities which yet loop back onto themselves.

The functional chain of gods might work that way. Before you claim that's

absurd, let me just remind you that I don't think the Trinity makes all

much sense either.

I do not necessarily say that Heavenly Father had a prior Father. If that

is the case, then there is no problem assuming that our Heavenly Father

will rule all and is the greatest, but that He will allow us stewardship in

the eternities much as He allows us to raise children now on Earth. Then

the only lesser Gods would be us, not our Heavenly Father and there is

thereby no contradiction.

Also, for the sake of argument, assuming there was a god before Heavenly

Father and that There is a First Mover God, then yes, one could say that

The First Mover is greater in some sense. However, in what sense is that?

Only in the sense of being there previously. Heavenly Father could now be

equal in all other attributes with the First Mover. I find no logical

contradiction in this. However, there is a problem I can see from scripture

namely Exodus 18:11 "Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods: for

in the thing wherein they dealt proudly he was above them."
However this clearly refers to pagan gods which the Bible states do not

exist--at least not in the sense our Heavenly Father does.

There is also scripture which tells us that Heavenly Father is the "most

high God". (Gen 14:18-20)
If there's only One God, then saying He's the highest God makes as much

sense as saying He's the lowest God. Again, highest in what sense? I think

it refers rather to Heavenly Father's qualities love, wisdom, and power

over us and things which we see and interact with. See for example Isa.

55:9 "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher

than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

There are no thoughts higher than Heavenly Father's thoughts. He is the

Highest.

Aquinas wrote:Yes, indeed scripture uses the word “god” (lowercase “g”

in English translations) to describe a number of things; here it is used to

describe Satan.

Right. I'm not implying that proves there are other gods, only that we

should be careful about quoting "Hear oh Israel, thy God is one" as

necessarily referring to quantity.
Aquinas wrote:We need not, however, rely on any scripture to be able to

accept Aquinas’ arguments that 1) God (the First Mover) exists 2) He is his

own nature and 3) He is one. These are philosophical, not theological

proofs. He does not appeal to any scripture in his actual arguments, only

in the objections he anticipates (which would most likely have come from

other Christians or Heretics at the time).

Fair enough. I do not think he relies on the Bible (much if at all) for his

argument. My reliance on it has more to do with showing how I can believe

in the Bible and yet reject Aquinas.

Aquinas wrote:
Furthermore we learn that we are to be one with

Jesus as He is one with the Father: "And the glory which thou gavest me I

have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:" (John 17:22)

The verse you quote here is more appropriately understood to mean that the

believers are to be one with all other believers, not one with Jesus as the

first part of your sentence claims. The oneness Jesus shares with the

Father is the comparison Jesus illustrates to show what kind of oneness he

prays for the believers to have with each other. Thus, given this verse, it

would have no impact on God’s oneness that Aquinas proves. Also, this

prayer could be understood to mean a mystical oneness, as in being one in

mission, rather than a substantial oneness, as in one being, the later

sense of oneness is what Aquinas’ argument deals with, while the former is

one way this scripture can be interpreted.

Right about believers. If Aquinas doesn't rely on the Bible to prove God's

oneness then it indeed has no impact, but then let's not use the scripture,

"Hear oh Israel they God is one" as necessarily referring to quantity. It

could be referring to unity as is done in John 17. It might also refer to

our Heavenly Father's stewardship over us (as opposed to someone else).

Aquinas wrote:
"Mr. President" (the president of the United States

of America) is a particular man (George W. Bush) and the only president of

the US with whom we have to do. However, there have been many Mr.

Presidents (of the USA) in the past and there will almost certainly be more

in the future.

This is the only part of your response that addresses the first part of

Aquinas’ argument for God’s oneness. You neglected to see that Aquinas

explicitly dealt with this (in his Socrates example); indicating that

unlike Socrates (or any other person) God is his own nature. Thus if GWB

was his own presidential nature, He would not only be GWB, he would be

presidency itself, and clearly (in such a bizarre example) no one else

could be president, as GWB and presidency would be the same substance. God

is unique from creation in that He is His own nature. Lucky for you (lol)

Aquinas also has a proof for God (The First Mover) being his own nature

(see Summa, Prima Pars, Question 3 Article 3, here is the link for the

internet: http://www.newadvent.org/summa/1003.htm).

I disagree. God (whether Heavenly Father or any other) is not His own

nature. Mormons believe that while God is (has) a spirit, He also has a

physical body. Furthermore we believe that spirit is not immaterial but

rather is composed of highly refined matter. " 7 There is no such thing as

immaterial matter. All spirit is matter, but it is more fine or pure, and

can only be discerned by purer eyes;
8 We cannot see it; but when our bodies are purified we shall see that it

is all matter." (D&C 131 http://scriptures.lds.org/en/dc/131 )

Aquinas wrote:Yes, indeed things (like electrons) can differ from each

other in “trivial” matters, such as location. Aristotle would call these

“accidental” differences. However, God’s infinite perfections, which are

what Thomas Aquinas is addressing, are not aksidental (sorry for the funky

spelling, wouldn't let me post the real spelling for some reason) but

rather substantial differences because they are infinite perfections.
An aksidental characteristic of mine is that I have brown hair. If I had

another hair color, my essence wouldn’t change at all, because hair color

has nothing to do with who or what I am. A substantial characteristic,

however, is like the three sided-ness of a triangle. A triangle cannot be

thought of in any other terms than a shape that has three sides, if it had

four sides it would no longer be a triangle. Such is God.

We agree except where it concerns infinite power. I do not believe that God

has the power to sin, for example. That is to say that the LDS believe that

God must obey eternal laws "or He would cease to be God"

(http://scriptures.lds.org/en/alma/42/13,22,25#13) However, we need not

fear that He might cease to be God because if He could, He wouldn't be God

in the first place.

Aquinas wrote: His perfections are infinite, thus his power (one of the

many perfections of his) is infinite, and being infinite means there can

only be one, making this characteristic also substantial, as it is only

appropriately attributed to God.
Take two kings for example, one rules over a kingdom called “Mars” the

other rules over a kingdom called “Earth.” Each king governs his own

kingdom and has power over all things in his own kingdom, but would

necessarily lack the power over the other kingdom. If one of the kings did

have power over the other kingdom, there would only be, properly speaking,

one king, as he would have power over both kingdoms. If however, you say

both kings have equally infinite power over both kingdoms, they just choose

to cooperated together, this is an impossibility, as neither king would

have power over the other king, thus limiting both of their power. Now

power is only one infinite characteristic of the First Mover, so this is

also true of all other infinite characteristics of the First Mover, like

knowledge, goodness, beauty, etc.

I believe that no God has power over any other. That this limits their

power may be logically so in some degree, but not in any practical sense of

the term. I agree that God's power is ultimate, but in precisely what sense

I do not know. That is to say I leave open the possibility for equally

powerful gods in their own dominion who yet all cooperate for the same

purpose.

Aquinas wrote:
This from a world-renowned philosopher/theologian?

This is just an ignorant statement for two reasons, first you have not seen

all the previous arguments he made up to this point, and do not understand

that anything you could possibly think of as an objection, he probably

already has. I had a philosophy instructor who had a class on Aquinas at

Boston College and the only assignment for the entire semester was to

create an objection to one of Aquinas’ arguments that was better than an

objection Aquinas already pointed out himself. No one in the class was

successful.

I'm not surprised that nobody did in the same sense that I wouldn't

surprised if nobody created a successful objection to fundamental teachings

of L. Ron Hubbard to a Scientologist professor. On the other hand, I would

bet that an atheist professor would gladly accept arguments similar to

mine, ya know?

Aquinas wrote:The second is that Aquinas’ writings have been around for

centuries and his five proofs for the existence of God are still studied in

most, if not all, philosophy programs. Do you think anything you have

written or will ever write will be around even 10 years after you die?

Spare us of your ignorance by not insulting great thinkers like Aquinas.

Your arguments are decent, but not in the same league as his (neither are

mine by the way, not even close. I too am an amateur, but I admit it).

So what? I may not be a genius, but I think I can still point out problems

geniuses have. See my previous post where I speak of CS Lewis.

In any case I apologize and will speak more respectfully of a man you and

many others admire for his philosophical and theological arguments. I still

find him interesting and worthwhile, just not as convincing as you do.

Aquinas wrote:You’ve just demonstrated by starting with the dual-core

processor, that it can be traced back to be caused by something greater,

which would be human instructions, which consists of a team of particular

humans, of which there is a boss, and the boss is ultimately ordered by the

market. You need not stop there though, for greater things still exist. The

market consists of humans as well who, ultimately, are given motion

(because all people have bodies) by the First Mover, which is one of

Aquinas’ proofs for the existence of God, and of which there can only be

one (as he is proving here). Thus, your first sentence “not everything

needs to be ordered by something greater” you have already demonstrated

half of the argument against that claim, I just finished it up for you. The

“invisible hand” could be thought of as God, the cause of the desires

within humanity that drive the market.

Since I don't accept that there must be a First Mover, this counts as

begging the question. You may be correct that God designed it and is

therefore responsible for the distributed decision making of the open

market, but many people will dispute your claim that this is necessarily

so. I think the open market is sufficient evidence against your claim that

there must be a First Mover and that One must be the ultimate decision-

maker. I have demonstrated that distributed decision making is plausible.

Even if it doesn't exist in our world, it might exist in some other

possible world.

Aquinas wrote:
But, you will claim, everything that exists has a

cause. Well, welcome to the 21st century. Have you ever heard of quantum

mechanics? It appears that many events do not really have a cause. They

just happen. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_fluctuation

I went to the URL you cited, and I’ll be honest, I am neither a

mathematician nor a physicist and I am not sure I understood all of it.

From what I gathered, there seems to exist very brief (less than a second)

fluctuations in energy that seem to violate the conservation of energy law

in physics. Also, from what I gathered, conservation of energy means that

energy remains constant, although the form may change (like from friction

to kinetic; the example they gave). My guess is this is what you mean when

you say many events do not really have a cause.

That sounds about right. I'm not a physicist either and more of an amateur

mathematician. I'm an engineer by profession.

Aquinas wrote:One explanation for such phenomena, which is at least in

the realm of possibility, is that science is unable to determine a cause,

at this time, for such occurrences.

Yes, but that still doesn't demonstrate that these events do have a cause.

Aquinas wrote:To argue inductively, since many other events can be shown

to have a cause (the earth’s rotation is caused by the gravitational pull

of the sun, a pool ball moves, the cause is the pool stick striking the

ball, I cause light to enter a room by turning on a light switch, etc, etc,

etc) it is highly likely that quantum fluctuation also has a cause.

Highly likely? That's your prejudice. In any case "highly likely" is still

not a logical proof. Even if I have thrown a little doubt on the idea that

all things have a cause, I have shown that such a though is not necessarily

true in all possible worlds. To continue to claim that all things must be

caused is to beg the question. Go ahead and believe that it's highly likely

in your opinion. I have no problem with that. I only disagree that you have

proved it to be so.
Aquinas wrote:Likewise, many events (like the sun’s rising in the

morning) were at one time in human history thought to have a cause

different from the actual cause, only to be understood at a later time in

history. In the sun example, the rising was attributed to a pagan god

flying through the sky. Later, the cause was proven to be something else

entirely, the earth rotating on its axis. Thus, it is likely, given the

skepticism of modern science, that if an event did not seem to have a

scientific causal explanation, no cause would be attributed to the event at

all.

I still think that's making an assumption based on our experience of the

macro world. The quantum world is rather unique. There is no reason to

suppose there must be a cause for quantum behavior--not even an

indiscoverable cause.

There are several interpretations of quantum behavior. Briefly, in the

quantum world we often have particles which are in a supposition of states

in something called a wave function. Schroedinger's cat can be both alive

and dead according to the right wave function. When one measures the wave

it collapses into a particular state (called an eigenstate). Schroedinger's

cat has the eigenstates of "alive" or "dead". When we open the box it is one

or the other. There is no reason to suppose this is deterministic at the

quantum level (although at the macro level of cats and people it is indeed

absurd).

So how is this wave function collapse interpreted? Well, one way is that

all possible eigenstates are realized, but it happens in parallel

universes. Other scientists suppose that it is truly random. I forget the

other interpretations, but it is not silly to suppose it could be

completely random instead of caused. It is plausible for some possible

world even if it isn't the case in our world. That's enough to disarm the

proof that there must be a first cause.

Aquinas wrote:
Finally there need not be a first God. Tell me what

the smallest positive rational number is. By the way, I'm not saying that I

know for certain that there was a God before our Heavenly Father. I'm just

criticizing your proof of one God.

Of course, there is no smallest rational number, nor a largest. But when

Aquinas argues that God is infinite, he is not talking about numerically

infinite, nor even quantatively infinite (as is obvious, since he is

arguing that God (the first mover) is one).

Yes, but I was talking about quantitive infinite as in an infinite line of

gods back to infinity. Hence why I said "need not be a first God".

Aquinas wrote:He is talking about infinite in power, goodness, beauty,

etc, etc. “Infinite” is thus used in an entirely different sense than the

example you gave. The meaning of infinite, in the sense Aquinas is arguing,

is something that in no way is finite; and to be finite means to be

limited.

And I grant that God may be limited in some respects. After all, why go

through the whole painful messy atonement instead of just forgiving us

outright? Why have to forgive us instead of creating us perfectly to begin

with? Why create vessels of wrath fit for destruction? I think the problem

of evil is a limit on God's power in some sense.

Aquinas wrote:Again, good post Asbestosman, I hope you give my responses

due consideration. I can see you are indeed a lover of logic, and logic is

a vehicle to truth and truth comes only from God.
'
Well, it's been fun in some sense. I kinda wish I had some of the more philosophically inclined Mormons to help me out on thinking through Aquinas, but this has mostly been an informal thing anyhow.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

Nope. There need not be a first mover. It could go back for eternity. But,

you will way, this still implies that any god who created "Heavenly Father"

is necessarily greater than He is. I disagree. For one, I think it possible

that there is an infinite chain of god which loops back on itself.

Okay. But no that is not really possible, given ordinal logics.

You need to rethink Turing's "universal machine." There is no discretely-available state of mental affairs (read: the binarily-derived state of any "universal machine" functioning with prescience of L-derived algorithms consistent with its originary rules), such that an uncomputable state is necessarily inevitable. Turing has already disproven this line of thought, to my satisfaction, at any rate. Goedel cannot help here, either, I wouldn't think.

Best.

CKS
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

cksalmon wrote:Okay. But no that is not really possible, given ordinal logics.

You need to rethink Turing's "universal machine." There is no discretely-available state of mental affairs (read: the binarily-derived state of any "universal machine" functioning with prescience of L-derived algorithms consistent with its originary rules), such that an uncomputable state is necessarily inevitable. Turing has already disproven this line of thought, to my satisfaction, at any rate. Goedel cannot help here, either, I wouldn't think.

I'll be honest. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say (because indeed I'm not as familiar with Turing and Goedel as master logicians are). Are you saying that God wouldn't be omniscient in my scenario? I'm not quite sure why the mental affairs of God would need to be discrete states. Nor do I think God must necessarily be omniscient. I also think it possible that He knows all possibilities and can plan for them like a master chess player, but with far greater skill. Furthermore I believe God's superior knowledge (knowledge of all that is knowable by Him if not actual omniscience) may come in part due to an Oracle namely the Urim and Thumim.

I'm also unsure why A begets B begets C begets A is not possible. Isn't time relative? I think it is a logical possibility for space-time to loop back on itself.

Anyhow, I'll grant that I may be wrong about an infinite loop backwards or even an infinite non-looping chain. If I am, I just think it means that God greatest in a certain sense and that having a god conceive Him does not make Him any less able to aid us in becoming perfect even as He is. That would certainly be a way we differ in our conceptions of God, but I don't see why it's illogical. Maybe God isn't the greatest in a chronological and functional sense, but if so, I don't think it matters. Of course I expect you to disagree, but I don't see how it could possibly count as a logical proof against Mormonism--at least as long as I need not accept your premise that God is chronologically and funcionally superior to any possible being.

Of course, now that I think about it, Muslims used to tell me, when I was a missionarry, that Christianity was wrong because God is not begotten neither does He beget. It does bring up an interesting question to my mind. Is the Father superior to the Son and how do they relate functionally to the Holy Ghost? Furthermore wouldn't a God who wasn't composed of 1 instead of 3 personas/people (I don't know the correct term) be superior to the Trinity? I'm almost certain you have an answer to that, but it is not obvious to me what it should be nor how it would resolve the functional problem while yet leaveing Mormonism with a severe logical/theological problem.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_cksalmon
_Emeritus

Post by _cksalmon »

asbestosman wrote:I'll be honest. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say

Me neither, A-man. I think I was just blowing smoke. I would like to comment on the actual infinite bit, but I've got to run now. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to look back in this afternoon.

Best.

CKS