Question regarding name resignation

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Question regarding name resignation

Post by _Trinity »

I have been thinking about turning in the resignation for my family; my husband, myself and our children. I understand that the church communicates that all ordinances will be dissolved. I was on the church genealogical site the other day and noticed the ordinance areas. When an individual resigns from the church, are all the ordinances removed from these genealogical records? If that is the case, is it feasible that a person who had deliberately resigned from the church would have their ordinance work re-done for them by family members after their death?
"I think one of the great mysteries of the gospel is that anyone still believes it." Sethbag, MADB, Feb 22 2008
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Question regarding name resignation

Post by _Who Knows »

Trinity wrote:I have been thinking about turning in the resignation for my family; my husband, myself and our children. I understand that the church communicates that all ordinances will be dissolved. I was on the church genealogical site the other day and noticed the ordinance areas. When an individual resigns from the church, are all the ordinances removed from these genealogical records? If that is the case, is it feasible that a person who had deliberately resigned from the church would have their ordinance work re-done for them by family members after their death?

Of course!

My GG Grandfather left the church, and after his death the church 're-instated' him, and buried him in his temple get-up.

That was a while ago though, maybe they don't do that any more.

You could always try putting something in your will.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Trinity, why would you care? If you believe it's all bunk, then someone might perform a bunk ordinance in your name after you die, but since you already know it's bunk, how does this harm you?
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Post by _Trinity »

I don't acknowledge the ordinances, Sethbag. I wanted to know about the technicalities from the church's end. I have a family that has done a ton of genealogy, and I'm thinking that even if the church went into their records and removed these line-item ordinances, that wouldn't remove it from my great-aunt Sally's book book in her den...so if she noticed it missing from the church records, she'd go put them back on.

It seems like it would be a difficult thing for the church to remove an ordinance from their records and have it stick.
"I think one of the great mysteries of the gospel is that anyone still believes it." Sethbag, MADB, Feb 22 2008
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Re: Question regarding name resignation

Post by _Trinity »

Who Knows wrote:
Trinity wrote:I have been thinking about turning in the resignation for my family; my husband, myself and our children. I understand that the church communicates that all ordinances will be dissolved. I was on the church genealogical site the other day and noticed the ordinance areas. When an individual resigns from the church, are all the ordinances removed from these genealogical records? If that is the case, is it feasible that a person who had deliberately resigned from the church would have their ordinance work re-done for them by family members after their death?

Of course!

My GG Grandfather left the church, and after his death the church 're-instated' him, and buried him in his temple get-up.

That was a while ago though, maybe they don't do that any more.

You could always try putting something in your will.

Interesting story about your GGGrandfather. I think it would be more efficient to have a checkmark included in these records that would notate a name removal. Born-check. Baptized-check. Sealed-check. Chucked the whole thing-check. Of course, if there was a data field in these records documenting name removal, we'd then be able to run numbers on it. And that would be bad from the church's point of view.
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Again, since you don't believe in the Church or the ordinances, why do you care if Aunt Sally has ordinances reperformed for you after you are dead? I just don't understand why it's an issue.

But hey, it's an issue for you, so I'll just back off and say I don't know the answer to your question.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Trinity
_Emeritus

Post by _Trinity »

Dude Mr. Sethbag,

I think I must be too vague with my question. I do not care who baptizes whom. It is a simple question of clerical processes I am asking about. If the church removes the resigner from their church database, is it also removed from the genealogical database? If it is, how does the church ensure it is kept that way during not only the life of the resigner, but also after death? If those ordinances are not removed from the genealogical database, wouldn't the church be lying in saying the ordinances had been cancelled?

Is there anyone on this board who has resigned from the church and followed up on the genealogical website to see how their records may have changed?
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

heh, i *just* found out that im not even on record on familysearch.org

no clue if this is due to resignation or that they where never entered.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew