The Angel Moroni Can't Drink Coffee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

that's just it, that isnt a depiction of something evil, its a spoof, a satire, its comedy. Its taking a public well known figure/icon of the area and poking a bit of fun at it. I see no real harm done.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Whatever. People say much worse on this board and other boards about Mormonism, and you never say they deserve to be curb-stomped. Would you curb-stomp someone? Could you curb-stomp someone?

Depends on if my wife is there or not. The other day at target we came out and someone had a sign on their back window in big white letters "www.F*ckyoutshirts.com" I grabbed the Tire Iron out of the back of the car and was gonna smash it, but she stopped me and told me it wasn't worth having the cops called.

Live and let live is all fine and good, but where do you draw the line? At what point do we begin to make a stand for good principles? How tolerant do we have to be? At what point are we doormats for those who just want to "express themselves"?

I should have just smashed that window on that car and took the consequences.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Gazelam wrote:What kind of buttwipes go into a Mormon community and produce a shirt like that?

Would it be "going into" the community if they had lived there the whole time? You know, there's a lot of Mormons in Utah, no doubt about it, but not everybody is a Mormon.
Would you go to India and sell shirts of a guy butchering a cow? Go to Iran and sell shirts of Mohammad smokeing your favorite brand of Hookah? These guys are mocking a religion and are damn lucky they havent been drug out into the street and curb-stomped.

Thank God the USA has a more refined sense of personal liberty and religious freedom than India and Iran, eh?
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

How about you draw the line at not smashing peoples' windows? I understand that it's tough luck that we can't control what everyone out there thinks, but that's the way it is. It's life, and you should get used to it. You're free to think those people are just as dumb as they think you are. As long as nobody goes for the tire iron, it more or less works. To be honest, I'm wicked glad that we don't live in Iran or Saudi Arabia, or Afghanistan under the Taliban.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Gazelam wrote:I should have just smashed that window on that car and took the consequences.

Here's a scenario for you, Gazelam:

A Latter-day Saint has an etching on her rear windshield that says, "RULDS2?" She parks her car somewhere in the Vatican.

Now, what would you say to a passing priest who said, "I should have just smashed that window on that car and took the consequences!"?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Seth

Post by _Gazelam »

Lets say the guy who's car I mentioned lived next to you and parked his car in his driveway where everyday your kids rode their bikes, and played in the yard, and had to see that large sign in his window everyday.

Now the kids come in and want you to explain to them what the sign means. "Daddy, what does F*Celestial Kingdom mean?"

And the big sign next door isnt going to go away, because when you knock on his door and ask him to remove it, he just tells you to take the sign to heart and "F*Celestial Kingdom off"

Now what. How far does your tolerance level go?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Shades

Post by _Gazelam »

Whats the LDS doing at the Vatican?

I think a sign in the car that expresses a religious view is one thing. A six inch by four foot "F*Celestial Kingdom you" sign in a rear window is something completely different.

And a store printing anti Mormon shirts in a Mormon community is different as well.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Gazelam wrote:Depends on if my wife is there or not. The other day at target we came out and someone had a sign on their back window in big white letters "www.F*ckyoutshirts.com" I grabbed the Tire Iron out of the back of the car and was gonna smash it, but she stopped me and told me it wasn't worth having the cops called.

It sure wasn't. You should really examine your ability to control your anger if you even thought about using a tire iron. What if the guy had been standing there next to his car and your wife hadn't been there?

Live and let live is all fine and good, but where do you draw the line? At what point do we begin to make a stand for good principles? How tolerant do we have to be? At what point are we doormats for those who just want to "express themselves"?

I should have just smashed that window on that car and took the consequences.

You definitely draw the line at destroying private property. Perhaps confronting the guy and saying you disagree with his sign is alright, but going for the violent choice first (or second, or third, or fourth...) is not the way to solve issues.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Look. Expressing a view via a bumper sticker for or against abortion is one thing. that's expressing opinion.

BUSH SUCKS on a window is an expression of opinion.

Six inch by Four foot socially accepted foul language scrawled across a rear window is another thing entirely. that's begging for it. that's an open challenge to a fight.

Bond, how would you deal with the above scenario I posed to Seth?
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Gazelam wrote:Look. Expressing a view via a bumper sticker for or against abortion is one thing. that's expressing opinion.

BUSH SUCKS on a window is an expression of opinion.

Six inch by Four foot socially accepted foul language scrawled across a rear window is another thing entirely. that's begging for it. that's an open challenge to a fight.

Bond, how would you deal with the above scenario I posed to Seth?

I had a long response written out and I hit the wrong button. I'll redo it tomorrow. Night
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07