The Angel Moroni Can't Drink Coffee

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Bryan Inks
_Emeritus

Post by _Bryan Inks »

skippy the dead wrote:Okay, so I've done some searches on the US Patent and Trademark site, and I don't see the church or its IP holding company "Intellectual Reserves" having any trademark for anything to do with Moroni. I don't see any references to Moroni in the PTO databases, either. So where's the "registered trademark" that these guys are violating.

I figure that the almighty would be doing poor ol' Moroni a favor - if you had to stand on top of a freakin' building in the cold of a Utah winter, wouldn't you want a hot cuppa joe? I sure would.

by the way - I have to give props to Loquacious Lurker in the thread over on another board, who pointed out this lovely item:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index. ... 1208147936

For some reason, when I was in Rome, these were the funniest things I saw. I bought one for a friend. And now I wish I'd bought one for myself. It just struck my funny bone.

You know, for some reason this doesn't suprise me. The owners of the coffee shop clearly stated in an interview that if the LDS Church could prove their claims, then they would desist.

The fact that we haven't heard anything about proof. . .
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Gazelam wrote:
Whatever. People say much worse on this board and other boards about Mormonism, and you never say they deserve to be curb-stomped. Would you curb-stomp someone? Could you curb-stomp someone?

Depends on if my wife is there or not. The other day at target we came out and someone had a sign on their back window in big white letters "www.F*ckyoutshirts.com" I grabbed the Tire Iron out of the back of the car and was gonna smash it, but she stopped me and told me it wasn't worth having the cops called.

Live and let live is all fine and good, but where do you draw the line? At what point do we begin to make a stand for good principles? How tolerant do we have to be? At what point are we doormats for those who just want to "express themselves"?

I should have just smashed that window on that car and took the consequences.

your attitude in that situation was uncalled for. Do you suggest the use of violence to get your way always?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Gazelam wrote:Six inch by Four foot socially accepted foul language scrawled across a rear window is another thing entirely. that's begging for it.

No it isn't. It's freedom of speech. It sucks sometimes.

that's an open challenge to a fight.

No it isn't. It's his freedom of speech if he isn't breaking any laws.

Bond, how would you deal with the above scenario I posed to Seth?

If the guy isn't willing to take the sign down after a polite asking, I'd see if his sign violating any homeowner rules (if a homeowning association exists). I would also look into the official zoning laws concerning the sign being offensive. If such a law exists, it could get taken down that way. If not, you could always go to the City Council/local Legislative body and attempt to get a law of some sort passed specifically dealing with the guys sign. In the mean time, I would also start a petition in the neighborhood for the person to take the sign down (peer pressure may do the trick). That's a few options.

As to my (theoretical) child asking about F*Celestial Kingdom: I would explain that it's a bad word that shouldn't be used at all.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

Not being sentimental, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to poke fun at us. Some would claim such puts us in a bad light and I would certainly agree. But that's just the nature of the parable of the sower.
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

You know, as a recognizable symbol out in the hinterland away from the Jell-O belt, the label from Polygamy Porter beer may get more hits from non-mormons than the Angel Moroni.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_twinkie
_Emeritus

Re: Seth

Post by _twinkie »

Gazelam wrote:Lets say the guy who's car I mentioned lived next to you and parked his car in his driveway where everyday your kids rode their bikes, and played in the yard, and had to see that large sign in his window everyday.

Now the kids come in and want you to explain to them what the sign means. "Daddy, what does F*Celestial Kingdom mean?"

And the big sign next door isn't going to go away, because when you knock on his door and ask him to remove it, he just tells you to take the sign to heart and "F*Celestial Kingdom off"

Now what. How far does your tolerance level go?

That's a good question. My son has been coming home from preschool saying some pretty off the wall things- apparently he is learning them from another kid in the class. My DH wanted to make them put our son in another class away from the other boy. I said, "No, he is ALWAYS going to be exposed to kids like that. I think it is better to teach him that WE don't say that." The sad fact is, they are going to hear this stuff from someone, somewhere. We can't force other people to act a certain way.
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Well, as far as the "Copywrite" goes, the CotLDS is about to find itself in a VERY actionable position. And not one in their favor.

See, what that coffee shop did is this thing called "Parody", and guess what... They have every bit the same right to use the image of some imaginary sky pixie in parody as Larry Flint had when he parodied REAL PEOPLE and REAL COPYWRITED/TRADEMARKED PRODUCTS.

If I was the Manager of that coffee shop I'd tell the legal reps of the LDS to blow me and introduce them to my lawyer. He's a former Marine Corps JAG Corps lawyer. Which means 1. He's a Marine, so he doesn't know how to loose, and 2. He's capible of killing your lawyers. In fact, I wouldn't put it past Mike to "settle out of court" like that, as he's a devious SOB and one of the few people on this planet that actually scare me.

Anyways, the LDS is barking up the wrong tree and if they don't cease and desist, they'll be owing a signifigant fraction of that $6billion/year income to some guy that sells products banned by their church.

As an asside, you Moromon need to seriously figure out what a sense of humor is and how to laugh...
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_twinkie
_Emeritus

Post by _twinkie »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Well, as far as the "Copywrite" goes, the CotLDS is about to find itself in a VERY actionable position. And not one in their favor.

See, what that coffee shop did is this thing called "Parody", and guess what... They have every bit the same right to use the image of some imaginary sky pixie in parody as Larry Flint had when he parodied REAL PEOPLE and REAL COPYWRITED/TRADEMARKED PRODUCTS.

If I was the Manager of that coffee shop I'd tell the legal reps of the LDS to blow me and introduce them to my lawyer. He's a former Marine Corps JAG Corps lawyer. Which means 1. He's a Marine, so he doesn't know how to loose, and 2. He's capible of killing your lawyers. In fact, I wouldn't put it past Mike to "settle out of court" like that, as he's a devious SOB and one of the few people on this planet that actually scare me.

Anyways, the LDS is barking up the wrong tree and if they don't cease and desist, they'll be owing a signifigant fraction of that $6billion/year income to some guy that sells products banned by their church.

As an asside, you Moromon need to seriously figure out what a sense of humor is and how to laugh...

Well, oo-rah to that!
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Situations like this was why Porter Rockwell was a handy guy to have around.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Gazelam wrote:Situations like this was why Porter Rockwell was a handy guy to have around.

I wonder if nowadays the Uzi would be his gun of choice?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace