Poll: Is the LDS church evil?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Is the LDS church evil?

Total votes: 0

_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Merely because so many have deluded themselves into believing that the church is evil, does not make it so.

We have been blessed in our lifetimes to have the fullness of the gospel restored to the earth, with all of its blessings and ordinances and knowledge available to us. This is Christs Church, and He guides and directs it as he sees fit.

If He has hurt your feelings, that's your problem, not His.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

Gazelam wrote:Merely because so many have deluded themselves into believing that the church is evil, does not make it so.

Merely because so many have deluded themselves into believing that the church is good, does not make it so.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_mentalgymnast

Re: Poll: Is the LDS church evil?

Post by _mentalgymnast »

Runtu wrote:I hear people saying this from time to time, and I thought I'd see where we are as a group. What do you think about the LDS church as a whole and its influence on the world?

I'll start this out by voting that on balance, it does more harm than good. I recognize that it does good in the world, but from personal experience, it is a manipulative and rather soul-damaging religion (but I have no strong opinions about this. LOL).

MG: I can only speak from personal experience, not that of others. In my life the church itself has not been anything but a positive influence...that is, until my eyes were opened and I saw through the eyes of others that the church was anywhere from an unholy alliance with dark forces, to an organization run by crackpots who really had no right to tell me how to live my life.

So how do I feel now that I've been on both sides of the tracks? I think overall the church in and of itself is a positive influence in the world...but perceptions can and will vary.

Why? I can think of a few reasons...

Personal preferences/practices in regards to morality/sex. Personal preferences/practices in regards to the word of wisdom. Personal issues in regards to how one has been conditioned to respond to authority. Personal preferences in the way one prioritizes secular knowledge vs. spiritual knowledge. Personal preferences in regards to assimilating to the culture at large vs. a culture that requires/expects obedience, sacrifice, service, long-suffering, mercy, forgiveness, repentance, faith, prayer, fasting, sabbath keeping, etc., etc.

Any one or more of these can and very possibly will influence our thinking/perception in regards to the organization and leadership of the LDS church. At least IMHO.

Regards,
MG
Last edited by _mentalgymnast on Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

I voted "does more harm than good."

That's my opinion of religion in general. We would all be better off if people could just get over their adherence to superstitious belief systems, including -- but not limited to -- religion. For example, I would answer the same if the question was about Marxism.