THE TRIBULATION AND HOW TO SURVIVE IT

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Re: THE TRIBULATION AND HOW TO SURVIVE IT

Post by _grampa75 »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
grampa75 wrote:It is not my intention to discuss all the prophecies concerning the Tribulation period which lasts for about one year because it seems that most people are tired of hearing the dread, and dying that is prophecied to come. However, I will say that it will not come until the year of 2405.

If anyone is interested or not interested let me know. We might have to communicate through the e-Mail for both the pros and the cons to be comfortable with it.
grampa75

I don't surely don't want to discuss the dread and dying, but would you be willing to discuss this? Where do you get the information about 2405, do you have information that GBH doesn't have, and if so why, and if he does have that information, why would you suppose he isn't sharing it?

Anything I have come to understand is through the Holy Spirit confluenced with our scriptures. The very year that the tribulation is going to begin is stated in the Bible but very subtle. You would have to be very familiar with all of our scriptures in order to ever find that question, but it is worth studing to find out for yourself as the Lord told us that we should not put our trust in the arm of flesh because as Moroni tells us that by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things, and 1 John informs us that WE DO NOT NEED ANY MAN TO TEACH US.

I hope that helps you but I would just like to make one more point; I don't know the time when the Savior is supposed to come but I can most certainly guess at the period of time.

grampa75
There is an LDS song that goes; "What more can HE say to you other than what HE has said."

I think that explains it all. I study the scriptures about five times a year in search for questions. There are no answers in the Bible or Book of Mormon or any other scripture that would enlighten us. Once we are lucky enough to find a question, we can ask God to explain that question to us and what it may mean. And, sure enough, GOD will yield an answer for us. Simple as that. We're told with the combination of St. John 8: 31-32 and then the D & C 93:24 that we are supposed to know all truth, future, past, and present.

But back to what you asked; no I cannot prophesy unless I am just prophesying for my own family's concerns.

Would you mind telling me why you would NOT want to know the future down to the very last day of its existence as an earth. However, I suppose you have already answered me in saying; "No, I would not like to discuss it." I let it go at that.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_grampa75
_Emeritus

dancer

Post by _grampa75 »

truth dancer wrote:I always thought the scriptures stated no one knowns when the second coming will be. I guess I misinterpreted in my desire to be obedient and trust the leaders/prophets.

Oh well... ;-)

Actually though, it would be quite something if, after two thousand years of prophetic predictions someone right here knows when the second coming will be. I mean that would be cool!

:-)

~dancer~

I wrote this all out and then lost it somehow so I take it that the Lord does NOT want me to go into great detail other than say that I was not speaking for the prophet when speaking of anything I received from scripture, which a prophet wrote, hummmmmmm confusing.

I believe nearly everything that our apostles and prophets have provided for us but I will say that I have discovered some mistakes, as man is not infallible. I do not know, nor will I ever know, the very day that our Lord will return to earth. I didn't even claim I did. I did make the claim that I know the day when the tribulation will begin. It is a very sutle teaching in our scriptures.

However, I would say that 99.99999% of the time their teachings for our salvation is true. There are only a few incidents where they seem to have been erroneous in their interpretation of some certain scriptures. But it does not make the teaching totally wrong. It is up to the members of the Church to search for truth not the apostles.

It is not up to the apostles or prophet to teach us the meaning of scripture, it is our own responsibility. Here is where that teaching is provided for us;

Pg. 2 of Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, "If the MEMBERS of the Church do not come to understand the scriptures that have been afforded them, the CHURCH may yet fail."

I hope that helps assure you that I am not as puffed up in myself as sometimes I appear to be. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ with all my heart and pray that we may really begin to understand what we have been given and understand what we have been given. Two different meanings.

grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

grampa75,

I almost regret asking this as I type but...what Bible references would you give to demonstrate the Tribulation as a future event?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: THE TRIBULATION AND HOW TO SURVIVE IT

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

grampa75 wrote:
Lucretia MacEvil wrote:
grampa75 wrote:It is not my intention to discuss all the prophecies concerning the Tribulation period which lasts for about one year because it seems that most people are tired of hearing the dread, and dying that is prophecied to come. However, I will say that it will not come until the year of 2405.

If anyone is interested or not interested let me know. We might have to communicate through the e-Mail for both the pros and the cons to be comfortable with it.
grampa75

I don't surely don't want to discuss the dread and dying, but would you be willing to discuss this? Where do you get the information about 2405, do you have information that GBH doesn't have, and if so why, and if he does have that information, why would you suppose he isn't sharing it?

Anything I have come to understand is through the Holy Spirit confluenced with our scriptures. The very year that the tribulation is going to begin is stated in the Bible but very subtle. You would have to be very familiar with all of our scriptures in order to ever find that question, but it is worth studing to find out for yourself as the Lord told us that we should not put our trust in the arm of flesh because as Moroni tells us that by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things, and 1 John informs us that WE DO NOT NEED ANY MAN TO TEACH US.

I hope that helps you but I would just like to make one more point; I don't know the time when the Savior is supposed to come but I can most certainly guess at the period of time.

grampa75
There is an LDS song that goes; "What more can HE say to you other than what HE has said."

I think that explains it all. I study the scriptures about five times a year in search for questions. There are no answers in the Bible or Book of Mormon or any other scripture that would enlighten us. Once we are lucky enough to find a question, we can ask God to explain that question to us and what it may mean. And, sure enough, GOD will yield an answer for us. Simple as that. We're told with the combination of St. John 8: 31-32 and then the D & C 93:24 that we are supposed to know all truth, future, past, and present.

But back to what you asked; no I cannot prophesy unless I am just prophesying for my own family's concerns.

Would you mind telling me why you would NOT want to know the future down to the very last day of its existence as an earth. However, I suppose you have already answered me in saying; "No, I would not like to discuss it." I let it go at that.

grampa75

I only said I don't wish to discuss dread and dying, as you suggested some of us might not. Thanks for the answers you gave, as far as they went, though, I must admit I'm skeptical of people who isolate a "subtle" scripture and develop a major belief from it. Too often, they end up founding another religion, and that's the last thing we need!! Actually, I have a simple rule for whether something is of God or not, and that is if it is fear-based it is not of God. That takes out probably 95% or so of the scriptures, tribulation and all.

May I suggest a question for you to study? "Would you rather be right or happy?"
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:by the way: I'll be 420 in 2405, so does that mean I can survive simply by smoking some of gramps' special herbs?

Only if you don't bogart that joint, my friend....

I am always willing to share and have never, never been known as a bogart.

Do you prefer an indica or sativa or a nice hybrid of the two?
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

gramps wrote:
Mr. Coffee wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:by the way: I'll be 420 in 2405, so does that mean I can survive simply by smoking some of gramps' special herbs?

Only if you don't bogart that joint, my friend....

I am always willing to share and have never, never been known as a bogart.

Do you prefer an indica or sativa or a nice hybrid of the two?

Suprise me, bro... I'll open my sack and match ya.

Edit: Can't believe no one's picked up on the Easy Rider reference....
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Grampa...

The one and only reason I can envision why we might be concerned would be for our future families who are directly related to us.
grampa75

Why don't you care about people who are not directly related to you?

You seem to feel that the HG speaks to you or provides you with information that is true and correct and perhaps even more accurate or right, than prophets.

You also seem to suggest everyone (or maybe just members of the church) is entitled to similar knowledge from the HG.

How do you account for those who believe they have the truth from the HG/God but whose ideas differ from yours?

Why do you think YOUR personal "revelation" is better than those all over the world who believe, equally strongly, that THEY are receiving truth from God? In other words, why do you think YOU are entitled to the real truth but others who claim to be receiving knowledge from God are not?

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_grampa75
_Emeritus

Post by _grampa75 »

Bryan Inks wrote:
truth dancer wrote:I always thought the scriptures stated no one knowns when the second coming will be. I guess I misinterpreted in my desire to be obedient and trust the leaders/prophets.

Oh well... ;-)

Actually though, it would be quite something if, after two thousand years of prophetic predictions someone right here knows when the second coming will be. I mean that would be cool!

:-)

~dancer~

We know that at least one man knows the exact time, because Joseph Smith had a revelation that placed the Second Coming in the early 1890s.

Oh, wait.

It seems that everyone here, except for a few, has designs to cause the unlearned to obstair from reading our scriptures for themselfs because of the evil designs of men makes it impossible to understand as it did in the days of Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith did NOT say that the Lord will come in the year 1890, but said instead that if Joseph Smith lived to 1890 he would see the coming of the Savior. It is my opinion that the Lord did not want to inform Joseph Smith that he was going to be killed at the age of 39 in 1844.

If anyone wishes to discuss teachings or doctrine of the Mormon Church I would like very much to be engaged in it, but not the heresay bablings of people who don't know what ther're talking about.
grampa75
Paul W. Burt
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

It seems that everyone here, except for a few, has designs to cause the unlearned to obstair from reading our scriptures for themselfs because of the evil designs of men makes it impossible to understand as it did in the days of Joseph Smith.

I think most folks here are very familiar with the scriptures and have read them over and over and over again... even prayed and fasted as they have plead for understanding, and pondered them in the temple.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj