An Anniversary: Revisiting a Mopologetic Milestone

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

In all fairness to the Stake President, who didn't even know that Dr. Quinn lived in his Stake, how could he have initiated the mentioning of any homosexuality? That said, I am curious if this friend happened to work with that small clipping service committee and was merely exchanging a helpful heads up to Dr. Quinn's Stake President, about stuff that all Mormon Studies people knew by some means. Perhaps Dr. Quinn had expressed a fondness for Judy Garland records or something.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_rcrocket

Re: An Anniversary: Revisiting a Mopologetic Milestone

Post by _rcrocket »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Thanks for the stroll down memory land, Scratch!
SatanWasSetUp wrote:I wonder if Rollo cares that Daniel rebuked him.

Not at all. I found DCP's 'over-the-top' reaction quite humorous. I honestly believe the way DCP and his "circles" gossiped about Quinn's private life was abhorrent.

How was it gossip if Quinn was telling his collegues well before this so-called DCP incident that he was gay, and Quinn was advertising the fact by holding hands with his partner in public? Really, now. I was there. This was no "private" matter; Quinn wanted it known to all of his professional collegues and was making a statement.

Moreover, in retrospect, he certainly does not deny he was gay, or that he left his family and children, or that he violated the conditions of his employment.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Thanks for the stroll down memory land, Scratch!
SatanWasSetUp wrote:I wonder if Rollo cares that Daniel rebuked him.

Not at all. I found DCP's 'over-the-top' reaction quite humorous. I honestly believe the way DCP and his "circles" gossiped about Quinn's private life was abhorrent.

Hey, Rollo, what have you been up to? Long ago we were kind of the dynamic duo on FAIR. Ah, well. Their loss, anyway.

I hope all is well with you. We need to get together and have a cup of api or something.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I actually just read the thread over at MAD....quite a good and lengthy summary Scratch (PS: Blog Hall of Fame #3 I think).

It is really quite interesting to see this type of petty minded crap (gossiping about sexual orientation...honestly what are these guys, 7th graders). In my younger years I thought people who wrote books and had Ph.Ds would be above this small stuff...but I've been mistaken.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I HAVE A DIFFERENT TAKE:

I'm sorry, folks, but I have an alternate take on this whole thing.

Sure, Rollo may have been right about the strict, dictionary definition of "gossip," but in my world, gossip is not that big of a sin.

Now, I quite enjoy listening to gossip. I find it very entertaining. I'm not very fond of repeating gossip, mind you, but I enjoy hearing it all the same.

It's been repeated that Quinn's homosexuality was made obvious by Quinn himself thanks to that Mormon History Association symposium (or whatever) incident. In my opinion, that made him "fair game" for talk to commence. Let's face it, open homoerotic displays are quite rare--and therefore noteworthy--in the LDS metacommunity.

Talk is cheap, and I think the only thing objectionable was when DCP's colleague told the tale to Quinn's Stake President. That's because up to that time, nobody could directly punish Quinn in any way, but telling the Stake President opened the door to punitive action, so the colleague--not DCP himself--should've kept his mouth shut in the presence of the Stake President (but not necessarily anyone else).

I know what you're thinking--"But a person's sexual preference is a personal and private matter and no one else's business, Shades!" I agree, and think that anything that an individual has taken pains to keep quiet shouldn't be repeated. But when a person openly displays an otherwise private matter for all the world to see, then all bets are off.

So, in my opinion, the person who ratted on Quinn to the Stake President is wholly at fault here, not the person he heard it from.

In other words, I think DCP is essentially innocent.

Now let the flaming begin (no pun intended).
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

rcrocket wrote:How was it gossip if Quinn was telling his collegues well before this so-called DCP incident that he was gay ...

Who did he tell? I know of no one claiming Quinn told him/her of his homosexuality. References?

... and Quinn was advertising the fact by holding hands with his partner in public? Really, now. I was there.

You've claimed this before, also claiming that it happened at some 1980 or 1981 MHA conference. BS. No one (other than you) has ever claimed to have seen this (to my knowledge), and your timing is way off. If you really did see such an "advertisement" in 1980 or 1981, then I doubt Quinn would have remained a full professor at BYU until 1988 (when he resigned), given the rampant homophobia there. Again, give some collaboration; otherwise, your claim rings hollow.

Moreover, in retrospect, he certainly does not deny he was gay, or that he left his family and children, or that he violated the conditions of his employment.

He didn't 'come out' until 1996, the circumstances of his divorce are between him and his wife (as opposed to your and DCP's "circles"), and his sexual orientation did not "violate conditions of his employment."

I am not surprised at your continued defense of the malicious gossip surrounding Quinn (and I would also not be surprised of your personal involvement therein).
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Dr. Shades wrote:Sure, Rollo may have been right about the strict, dictionary definition of "gossip," but in my world, gossip is not that big of a sin.

My beef was how the gossip was used to destroy a man's career (and continues to this day, in light of the Wall Street Journal article). LDS scholars like DCP want to destroy Quinn because of his controversial writings. Quinn's sexual orientation provided them with the perfect tactic to do this, particularly among homophobic Mormon leaders and members. The gossip in this case was neither harmless nor "entertaining." It was aimed at destroying a man's life ... and, in this case, they succeeded. I see nothing to be "fond" of, Doc.

It's been repeated that Quinn's homosexuality was made obvious by Quinn himself thanks to that Mormon History Association symposium (or whatever) incident. In my opinion, that made him "fair game" for talk to commence. Let's face it, open homoerotic displays are quite rare--and therefore noteworthy--in the LDS metacommunity.

It's been repeated by only one that I know of -- our very own rcrocket. No one else has claimed to have seen this purported "open homoerotic display." And, in my opinion, rcrocket's timing (1980 or 1981 MHA conference) is way off, since Quinn continued at BYU until 1988.

Talk is cheap, and I think the only thing objectionable was when DCP's colleague told the tale to Quinn's Stake President. That's because up to that time, nobody could directly punish Quinn in any way, but telling the Stake President opened the door to punitive action, so the colleague--not DCP himself--should've kept his mouth shut in the presence of the Stake President (but not necessarily anyone else).

I agree, this was a major offense, among many in this matter.

But when a person openly displays an otherwise private matter for all the world to see, then all bets are off.

Again, you're basing this on the claim of just ONE person -- rcrocket. He has yet to provide any collaboration, so I'd take his charge with a grain of salt.

In other words, I think DCP is essentially innocent.

Not me. I think DCP was in the thick of it, just like he was front and center for BYU's threat to pull out of the Yale conference if Quinn were allowed to present a paper.

Now let the flaming begin (no pun intended).

See above.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Runtu wrote:Hey, Rollo, what have you been up to? Long ago we were kind of the dynamic duo on FAIR. Ah, well. Their loss, anyway.

I hope all is well with you. We need to get together and have a cup of api or something.

Hi, good friend. All is well with me. I've been very busy with other things lately, so haven't been around much. Also, I guess I'm kinda burned out on things Mormonism; I'm sure the fire will reignite sometime. I hope all is well with you and yours!

_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Hi, good friend. All is well with me. I've been very busy with other things lately, so haven't been around much. Also, I guess I'm kinda burned out on things Mormonism; I'm sure the fire will reignite sometime. I hope all is well with you and yours!

Life is pretty good. Went out for dinner and beer with an exmo friend last night and had a good time. Things are always up and down at home, but we're surviving. It's OK to walk away when you're burned out. Been there before. I'm glad life is going well.

John
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

I remember the talk surrounding this incident but never really had the details to fully understand what was going on with it. This is a fantastic synopsis, Mr. Scratch, and I really appreciate you putting it together. Fun stuff!

It reminds me of all the fun I used to have calling DCP a dumbass. Man, is he ever... soooo funny.

LOL
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.