An Anniversary: Revisiting a Mopologetic Milestone

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
moksha wrote:Except that it was California rather than Utah, and Midgley would have needed to fly down there. Perhaps Bond could do a Rube Goldberg diagram for us to better understand the chain of events.

Actually, no. Quinn was ratted out after he moved to SLC (from California). The SP in question was Paul Hanks, a senior CES employee in the Utah-Davis area office at the time. An easy drive for Lou ....

Wow... Great call, Rollo! And you know, the inclusion of Lou Midgley in this scenario is very suspicious. I think that you are probably right that it was him, and let's face it, he definitely seems himself as a kind of "crusader" for the Church, as evidenced by that story about him getting thrown out of the Tanner's bookstore. It seems that he was perhaps even more guilty of a smear campaign than DCP!
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Mister Scratch wrote:Wow... Great call, Rollo! And you know, the inclusion of Lou Midgley in this scenario is very suspicious. I think that you are probably right that it was him, and let's face it, he definitely seems himself as a kind of "crusader" for the Church, as evidenced by that story about him getting thrown out of the Tanner's bookstore. It seems that he was perhaps even more guilty of a smear campaign than DCP!

I hesitate to point this out, but all we're really doing is speculating without a lot of knowledge, and I'm not sure that's much better than DCP's possible "smear campaign."
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Mister Scratch wrote:Wow... Great call, Rollo! And you know, the inclusion of Lou Midgley in this scenario is very suspicious. I think that you are probably right that it was him, and let's face it, he definitely seems himself as a kind of "crusader" for the Church, as evidenced by that story about him getting thrown out of the Tanner's bookstore. It seems that he was perhaps even more guilty of a smear campaign than DCP!

Lou was also the guy who trapsed up to a SLC book signing by Grant Palmer, just to heckle him. I don't know that there was a "smear campaign" back in the 80's when rumors were swirling about Quinn's sexual orientation, but I think there was definitely some sort of "campaign" against Quinn after he was ex'ed in 1993, to limit his influence on Mormon history (which is well documented in the Wall Street Journal article).
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Lou was also the guy who trapsed up to a SLC book signing by Grant Palmer, just to heckle him. I don't know that there was a "smear campaign" back in the 80's when rumors were swirling about Quinn's sexual orientation, but I think there was definitely some sort of "campaign" against Quinn after he was ex'ed in 1993, to limit his influence on Mormon history (which is well documented in the Wall Street Journal article).

I agree with that. There's obviously been some coordination to keep Quinn's influence limited. The only thing I know about Midgley is that he penned a ridiculous piece about RfM and those evil exmos not that long ago. Haven't bothered with him since.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:Lou was also the guy who trapsed up to a SLC book signing by Grant Palmer, just to heckle him.

In that case, was he also the one who, during the candlelight vigil for Lynn Kanavel Whitesides during her "court of love," drove around in circles in the parking lot screaming obscenities at the assembly?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:I don't know that any "committee" was involved in the sexual orientation disclosure to the SP, but Quinn believes Loren Dunn and BKP were involved in the apostasy charges. My own belief is that it was just DCP's "friend" (likely Lou Midgely, in my opinion), not a "committee," that approached the SP with the sexual orientation rumors.

Ahh, Louis Midgley. He seems the likeliest candidate to pull such a disgusting stunt.

Judging by what you and Mister Scratch have said, let's see if this is the most likely scenario:

A) Rumors of Quinn's bisexuality swirled among the apologetic intelligentsia for X amount of time. B) It remains unclear who started them or how they began. C) When it was discovered that Quinn had moved back to Utah, one of them jumped at the opportunity to tell Quinn's stake president about it for punitive reasons.

Does that sound about right?

That is the nature of rumor and gossip, though. "Remaining unclear" as to where it starts is of paramount importance. If a person can pin down the person who starts the rumor, it becomes attributable to a single source; gossip and rumor florish when the source is not known. It can become verifiable if it can be pinned down, and that's much less fun.

This is one of those times when the church puts out a contradictory message: do not gossip... except when the gossip is something that might get a member, especially a prominent thorn-in-the-side member, disciplined. Then it's okay to gossip to your priesthood leader. Then they're all ears.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Dr. Shades wrote:In that case, was he also the one who, during the candlelight vigil for Lynn Kanavel Whitesides during her "court of love," drove around in circles in the parking lot screaming obscenities at the assembly?

I don't know, but it sure sounds like something Lou would do -- he had a volatile personality when it came to his brand of apologia.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:In that case, was he also the one who, during the candlelight vigil for Lynn Kanavel Whitesides during her "court of love," drove around in circles in the parking lot screaming obscenities at the assembly?

I don't know, but it sure sounds like something Lou would do -- he had a volatile personality when it came to his brand of apologia.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Bro. Midgley ever posts on the aptly named MAD/FAIRboard?
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Runtu wrote:

I hesitate to point this out, but all we're really doing is speculating without a lot of knowledge, and I'm not sure that's much better than DCP's possible "smear campaign."

Eh, I see your point, but don't think that our remarks have anywhere near the severity or consequence as the DCP-Midgley-SP gossip. Nothing we say is likely to put even a dent in these guys. What they did to Quinn, on the other hand, worked to actually harm his life. Let's face it: DCP knows that, so long as he upholds Church orthodoxy, he will be safe and comfortable in his Ivory Tower sinecure. Thus, he can engage in smear tactics with complete and utter impunity.
Last edited by Physics Guy on Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
_TAK
_Emeritus

Post by _TAK »

Let's face it: DCP knows that, so long as he upholds Church orthodoxy, he will be safe and comfortable in his Ivory Tower sinecure. Thus, he can engage in smear tactics with complete and utter impunity.

don't kid yourself.. the church would throw DCP under the bus in a second if it they thought it advanced thier purpose..