Colbert: quasi-retraction of "Mope" claim

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Colbert: quasi-retraction of "Mope" claim

Post by _Mephitus »

For those that arent following it. On the colbert report, he called BKP the Mormon pope, or "Mope". And he just did a fix on that, heres a quote from the show.

"Before we start tonight, a rare correction is in order. On Thursday I identified Boyd K Packer as the President of the Mormon Church... or as I call him, the Mormon Pope, or 'Mope'. He is not. He is the current Acting President of the Council of Twelve Apostles of the Mormon Church. That would make him something like a Mormon Cardinal... or Mardinal. Apparently the real Mope is 'Gordon B Hinckley'. Got the job in 1995, but he can't be doing all that great of a job if I don't know who he is. So time for Hinckley to go! See, rather than retract my statement misidentifying Boyd K Packer, I'm calling on the Mormon Church to issue a correction by making Boyd K Packer the Mope. [cheering in audience] And make Packer's Mopeship retroactive as of last Thursday. That shouldn't be a problem for you Mormons. If you can retroactively baptise George Washington, you can retroactively make me look right!"

I thought this was too funny not to post. Besides, he does have a point, hehe.
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

That is funny. I'll bet some TBM out there is already whining about persecution.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Re: Colbert: quasi-retraction of "Mope" claim

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Sono_hito wrote:For those that arent following it. On the colbert report, he called BKP the Mormon pope, or "Mope". And he just did a fix on that, heres a quote from the show.

"Before we start tonight, a rare correction is in order. On Thursday I identified Boyd K Packer as the President of the Mormon Church... or as I call him, the Mormon Pope, or 'Mope'. He is not. He is the current Acting President of the Council of Twelve Apostles of the Mormon Church. That would make him something like a Mormon Cardinal... or Mardinal. Apparently the real Mope is 'Gordon B Hinckley'. Got the job in 1995, but he can't be doing all that great of a job if I don't know who he is. So time for Hinckley to go! See, rather than retract my statement misidentifying Boyd K Packer, I'm calling on the Mormon Church to issue a correction by making Boyd K Packer the Mope. [cheering in audience] And make Packer's Mopeship retroactive as of last Thursday. That shouldn't be a problem for you Mormons. If you can retroactively baptise George Washington, you can retroactively make me look right!"

At the end of this "correction," over Colbert's shoulder, was a big picture of GBH with an "X" over it, with a big pic of BKP to the side (without the "X," of course). Great stuff!
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

RFOL -- a great laugh to start my day. Colbert is awesome.

I hope the LDS have a sense of humor and don't go jihad on us unbelievers.
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond
_SatanWasSetUp
_Emeritus

Re: Colbert: quasi-retraction of "Mope" claim

Post by _SatanWasSetUp »

Apparently the real Mope is 'Gordon B Hinckley'. Got the job in 1995, but he can't be doing all that great of a job if I don't know who he is.

LOL. As Homer Simpson would say, it's funny cuz it's true. Hinckley is about as relevant to the world as Buck F. Johnson, this one guy I know.
"We of this Church do not rely on any man-made statement concerning the nature of Deity. Our knowledge comes directly from the personal experience of Joseph Smith." - Gordon B. Hinckley

"It's wrong to criticize leaders of the Mormon Church even if the criticism is true." - Dallin H. Oaks
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

I love Colberrrr! I have a fantasy of watching TV with my TBM sister, he comes on, I say, "that guy is a Mormon returned missionary conservative republican," and see how long it takes her to figure it out, if ever. But it won't happen because I never watch TV with my sister. Oh, well.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

That is pretty funny. I laughed.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato