Dr. Peterson Weighs in on Self-Abuse

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Some Schmo wrote:
Runtu wrote: Yes, we are far from the OP, aren't we? I still find the obsession with masturbation to be just a little creepy and disturbing. All that senseless guilt. But then I guess I'm one of those "progressives" Dr. Peterson warns about.

Yeah, I think there are about a billion things in the world more worthy of concern than masturbation, given that it's a normal, natural thing.

You mean like... poverty? crime? starving people? the homeless? materialism? racism? sexism? bigotry? war?

No no no! God is most concerned with the huge global problem of self-gratification, I guess.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

harmony wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:
Runtu wrote: Yes, we are far from the OP, aren't we? I still find the obsession with masturbation to be just a little creepy and disturbing. All that senseless guilt. But then I guess I'm one of those "progressives" Dr. Peterson warns about.

Yeah, I think there are about a billion things in the world more worthy of concern than masturbation, given that it's a normal, natural thing.

You mean like... poverty? crime? starving people? the homeless? materialism? racism? sexism? bigotry? war?

No no no! God is most concerned with the huge global problem of self-gratification, I guess.

Why was I thinking of earrings and teased hair?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Harmony wrote:I see this as one more example of the church's need to control the members. They control what we eat, what we drink, what we wear, what we do, how we pray, who we associate with, what we do with our money... they control every aspect of our lives. The sad part is that so few of us see it for what it really is.

But it is possible not to succomb to that control. It is possible to think for yourself, and do things that are in the best interest for you and your family. Sometimes, that will involve following the Church's guidance. Sometimes it won't.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Runtu wrote:
harmony wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:

Why was I thinking of earrings and teased hair?

Those are catastrophic issues, for sure. And didn't we have a talk not long ago about breast implants? That one made lots of sense to me and the sisters in my rural ward. We're very worried about perkiness here.
_The Dude
_Emeritus

Post by _The Dude »

beastie wrote:I interpreted the dude's remarks are rather tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps I misinterpreted them. His comments reminded me of a HBO documentary (those can get a bit racy) about "sex dolls" that a specialized company makes for masturbatory purposes. Kind of like a very, very, very expensive form of a blow up doll.

A joke, yes, but not about blowup dolls.

"That guy [Jackie Treehorn] treats objects like women, man."
"And yet another little spot is smoothed out of the echo chamber wall..." Bond