DCP responds to the "gossipmongering" accusations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Dr. Shades wrote:I guess the only question remaining is whether Boyd K. Packer told Stake President Hanks what, specifically, to excommunicate Quinn for, or whether Elder Packer let Hanks choose whatever charge he wanted.

Actually, I feel that another question is equally key. Both DCP and Opie have stated that someone "ratted out" Quinn to Hanks. Who was this person, I wonder?
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

As harmony pointed out: If Boyd K. Packer had it in for Quinn, why did he wait 'till Quinn moved back to Utah before dropping the hammer? Aren't the Stake Presidents in California just as loyal as the Stake Presidents in Utah?

Although (with all due respect to you, Rollo) I consider DCP absolved of any guilt, I now have more questions than answers.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

Dr. Shades wrote:Although (with all due respect to you, Rollo) I consider DCP absolved of any guilt, I now have more questions than answers.

Paul Hanks was unique: he was a longtime LDS employee (i.e., a senior CES employee in the Davis County CES office) and would do as he was told. As SP, Hanks reported directly to Loren Dunn (a Seventy and at that time the president of the Utah North Area), who was known as a close associate of BKP. Thus, all the logistical pieces were in place to allow BKP to get rid of Quinn for good.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mister Scratch wrote:Obviously you're not "completely" disassociated, otherwise you would not be here attacking me and defending DCP. By any chance is your name Kevin?

Kevin? Which Kevin?
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

harmony wrote:
Mister Scratch wrote:Obviously you're not "completely" disassociated, otherwise you would not be here attacking me and defending DCP. By any chance is your name Kevin?

Kevin? Which Kevin?

Obviously, not "our" Kevin.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Although (with all due respect to you, Rollo) I consider DCP absolved of any guilt, I now have more questions than answers.

Paul Hanks was unique: he was a longtime LDS employee (I.e., a senior CES employee in the Davis County CES office) and would do as he was told. As SP, Hanks reported directly to Loren Dunn (a Seventy and at that time the president of the Utah North Area), who was known as a close associate of BKP. Thus, all the logistical pieces were in place to allow BKP to get rid of Quinn for good.

So it was just Quinn's bad luck to move into his stake?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

liz3564 wrote:
harmony wrote:

Kevin? Which Kevin?

I've seen at least 4 and maybe 5 Kevin's on LDS boards since I started posting. I'm wondering if Scratch is thinking of any of them. I'm trying to remember if the guy who runs SHIELDS was a Kevin.

Obviously Opie, whoever he is, has been on the boards on the LDS side for quite some time. He wouldn't react to me the way he did, if that was not so.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

harmony wrote:So it was just Quinn's bad luck to move into his stake?

That and timing. Just after moving to SLC Quinn had published an article about LDS women having the priesthood in Nauvoo, as well as making public comments in the press about the lack of academic freedom at BYU. BKP wanted to shut him up (or at least minimize his credibility among LDS) and the opportunity to finally get him presented itself (before returning to SLC, Quinn had lived for a period of time in New Orleans and the Church apparently couldn't find him -- Quinn made no effort to conceal his location once he returned to SLC in 1992).
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

liz3564 wrote:
harmony wrote:

Kevin? Which Kevin?

No, not "our" Kevin. Now, after a bit of research, I think "Opie" is somebody else---somebody who would be extremely embarrassed if it ever came to light what his MAD posting name is.
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Also topping for Tarski.