A conversation with a gay man

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

A conversation with a gay man

Post by _harmony »

I had lunch with my favorite gay man (okay, so I only know two, but still!) the other day. We were talking about the lack of opportunities for him to find a lifelong companion in our area. I told him that I was sorry, but I only knew one other gay man, and he has a wife and 8 daughters. He looked me straight in the eye, and asked if my friend's name was "X". I said yes it was. He said he knew him, and he felt very sorry for him. That although his own background was tough sometimes (he comes from a Jehovah's Witness family), he felt very badly for any man who is gay and Mormon. He felt it was very sad that our common friend was unable to be who he is, valued for who he is, loved for who he is, simply because he is Mormon and gay. Instead, he must continually wear a mask.

The discussion on the other thread about the man who is probably the most famous gay Mormon man ever reminded me of how tough it must be for any gay Mormon man. The man I had lunch with can at least live who he is, be who he is, and no one judges him, kicks him out of his family or his church, just because he's gay. He's a delightful human being, and I'm so glad I've been able to know him. I feel like I've been given a wonderful opportunity to see life through another's eyes. I just wish that he be able to find a companion that give him the joy we all deserve.