"True" Churches

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Sam Harris
_Emeritus

"True" Churches

Post by _Sam Harris »

One thing I have never understood is man's need to pervert what is good within faith by creating dogmatic divisions. The need to be "God's chosen", or be right, is the root of evil in the name of religion, in my opinion.

Why is it that people focus more on being right in relation to others than they do on being right within? Why is it that we need name-brand religion in the form of true churches and christian country clubs? Are human being so insecure?

I'm hoping that those who feel the need to be spiritually above others will cease to preach and just simply answer the question of why they feel the need to be right, so that others may understand.

I'm also hoping that this thread will get a few replies from various types of beliefs here. To me, they're all valuable.
Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances. -Ghandi
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Because of true doctrine GIMR. Because of a need to know what is right.

How do you know what to improve withen until you know whos teachign Gods truth. And since it is generally understood that as a Christian baptism is a requirement, then who has the authority to perform the ordiance? (Romans 1:1)

Prophets didn't travel around telling people "Way to go, believe what you want", they set right false beliefs and tore down false Gods.

D&C 1:15-16
15 For they have strayed from mine ordinances, and have broken mine everlasting covenant;
16 They seek not the Lord to establish his righteousness, but every man walketh in his own way, and after the image of his own god, whose image is in the likeness of the world, and whose substance is that of an idol, which waxeth old and shall perish in Babylon, even Babylon the great, which shall fall.

Do you really mean to tell me all those different christian churchs are doing just fine? All of them offer salvation?

Is God a God of order, or a God of confusion?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

I just want to know how long Adam and Eve's children had to practice incest.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

I just want to know how long Adam and Eve's children had to practice incest.

Until they had you, at which point they discovered the serious genetic problems associated with recessive genes piling up in a small kin related population.

Basic biology really.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

What is true doctrine? I used to think the LDS Church had it all but as I found it was a moving target like all others I figured that there is truth to be found in many places.

How do you know what to improve withen until you know whos teachign Gods truth. And since it is generally understood that as a Christian baptism is a requirement, then who has the authority to perform the ordiance? (Romans 1:1)

There are many Christian sects who do not believe baptism is a requirement. And why does God need us dipped in water anyway? Why can't he accept us based on our hearts?

Prophets didn't travel around telling people "Way to go, believe what you want", they set right false beliefs and tore down false Gods.

Maybe the prophets were wrong. They were dogmatic Hebrew prophets who believed Israel was the chosen group.

Is God a God of order, or a God of confusion

Based on all the myriad of religions out there claiming to be Gods, I would say he is a God of confusion.
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hi Gaz...

First, I hope you are not suggesting the LDS church has "true" doctrine. (smile) No one seems to even know what the doctrine is and even then it is changing all the time. Doctrine (in the LDS church) does not equal "true." It equals, "current teachings."

How do you know what to improve withen until you know whos teachign Gods truth.

You listen to your heart. You quite your mind and see how your life is bringing forth peace and goodness.

And since it is generally understood that as a Christian baptism is a requirement, then who has the authority to perform the ordiance? (Romans 1:1)

Why in the world would a God of the universe require "authority"... I mean seriously. This whole idea is a result of some Semetic, nomadic tribal groups who wanted power!

Correct... they killed those who they thought believed in false ideas. Children, babies, young boys, mothers, fathers, grandparents... slaughtered them all with knives in a bloody masacre. Kept the young virgin girls for themselves! Yeah... they set the false teaching right! :-(

Do you really mean to tell me all those different christian churchs are doing just fine? All of them offer salvation?

I don't see any difference between the LDS church and all the other churches of the world... (generally speaking).

Is God a God of order, or a God of confusion
?

You have got to be kidding?! There is no church on the planet more confusing than the LDS church.

Now, personally, I think the universe is not one of confusion at all but the God of religion? Confusing as it comes.

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Gazelam wrote: Is God a God of order, or a God of confusion?

He's a god of your imagination.
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Jason

Post by _Gazelam »

Back in December in the Celestial forum I posted a thread called "Whats in a Name?"

Please give my opening post a once over and see if that helps answer your question concerning baptism.

Here: http://mormondiscussions.com/discuss/viewtopic.php?t=273

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Dancer

Post by _Gazelam »

Could you please cite examples of confusing doctrine.

Thanks

Gaz
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Some Schmo wrote:
Gazelam wrote: Is God a God of order, or a God of confusion?

He's a god of your imagination.

That too, it's amazing what he can do. He causes me to come up with all kinds of creative ideas :)
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo