Creating a library to make Odin jealous

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I'm working on preparing a talk for my son to read in primaryand came across the source material Madsen used in his famous lecture series on Joseph Smith. heres what he says:(All Sku's listed are for Deseret Book)

The book Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, (SKU 1786830 ) compiled by Joseph Fielding Smith, has long been a convenient source of doctrinal teachings of Joseph Smith contained in History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (SKU 2086357 ) and other early Church publications. For the life and teachings of Joseph Smith newer tools also are now available to the casual reader as well as to the analytic student. Every document written in Joseph Smith's own hand is now collected in The Personal Writings of Joseph Smith, (SKU 3993879 ) edited by Dean C. Jesse. All of the Prophet's Nauvoo discources, in their original form as recorded, have been gathered and interelated in The Words of Joseph Smith, (see below #1 ) edited by Andrew F. Ehat and Lydon W. Cook. Every doctrinal statement of the Prophet contained in the four books named above has been included, along with its immediate text, in Concordance of Doctrinal Statements of Joseph Smith, (see below #2) edited by Truman G. Madsen. Digests of three thousand diaries and journals of early Mormons, many of whom knew Joseph Smith, have been annotated in Davis Bitton's Guide to Mormon Diaries and Autobiographies. (see below #3) The new LDS edition of the Bible presents the most important changes in the Joseph Smith Translation of the scriptures, with useful footnotes and a comprehensive Topical Index.

(1) Words of Joseph Smith on Amazon:
Product Details

Hardcover
Publisher: Grandin Book Co (June 1991)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0910523398
ISBN-13: 978-0910523394
Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 6.3 x 1.6 inches
Average Customer Review: based on 3 reviews. (Write a review.)
Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,898,170 in Books (See Bestsellers in Books)

(2) THE CONCORDANCE OF THE DOCTRINAL STATEMENTS OF JOSEPH SMITH on E-bay

Author/Artists: Madsen, Truman G. (editor)
ISBN or UPC of the item:
Condition: Used - Very Good-
Binding or Media: Softcover
Notes: Blue Soft cover Book. Minor edge and corner wear. Previous owners name stamp inside front cover. No noticed markings to text. ; Limited to only 2000 copies, extremely rare and difficult to find. ; 8.5" x 11"; 455 pages
Publisher/Manufacturer: I. E. S. Publishing
Edition: First Edition
Year Published or Produced: 1985
Seller Item ID: 26257
Price: 137.50,

http://www.confettiantiques.com/ebay/26257.jpg

(3) On auction here: http://deseretbook.com/auctions/show-auction?auction_id=432017
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for the suggestions, Gaz. Some of them may in fact be of interest. I have a lot of reading to do, but that's not as hard as writing, I find. That's always the most difficult thing.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I'm reading through some Dale Morgan/stuff on Dale Morgan today and I looked up the URL for the online material at Signature Books.

Dale Morgan on Early Mormonism: Correspondence and a New History is available in its entirety. It includes the extant chapters of Morgan's unfinished history of Mormonism as well as a good selection of his letters to other people working in the area of Mormon/western history.

Bill Mulder's Preface begins with a good summary of Morgan's worth:

"The publication of a selection of Dale L. Morgan's correspondence and chapters from his unfinished history of Mormonism is a happy event. Dale has put every researcher and writer on both the Mormons and the Far West since him in his debt because of his wide-ranging industry and his fabled generosity. The industry and generosity went together, with Dale modestly disclaiming that whatever grist he was grinding for others also fed his own mill. 'Any problem existing for anybody, in Mormon research,' he wrote to fledgling Mormon historian Juanita Brooks in April 1942, 'was a problem also for me.... In answering their limited needs, I answer larger needs of my own.... All these individual things are parts of an infinitely complex organism that I am trying to see whole.'"

http://www.signaturebookslibrary.org/dalemorgan/daletitle.htm
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

The Prince, my Machiavelli.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Mercury wrote:The Prince, my Machiavelli.

Hey, he's my Machiavelli, too!
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Signiture Books

Post by _Gazelam »

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato