Creating a library to make Odin jealous

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Bond...James Bond wrote:Lady Chatterley's Lover by Joyce

Blixa wrote:For shame, Bond. Let me tell you the ghost of D.H. Lawrence isn't too happy with you right now! And you know he's in good with The Plumed Serpent...

Watch yer back, buddy-boy.

*sigh* Thanks for pointing this out, Blixa. OK, Bond...time for the shock collar treatment again.

;)
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

And a few more:

The Mormons, or, The Latter-day Saints in the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, John W. Gunnison

History of Utah, 1540-1886, Hubert Howe Bancroft,

Reminiscences of Early Utah, Robert N. Baskin

Early Utah Journalism: A Half Century of Forensic Warfare Waged by the West's Most Militant Press, Cecil J. Alter

Shot in the Heart, Mikal Gilmore (One of my all time favorite books)
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

liz3564 wrote:

Blixa wrote:For shame, Bond. Let me tell you the ghost of D.H. Lawrence isn't too happy with you right now! And you know he's in good with The Plumed Serpent...

*sigh* Thanks for pointing this out, Blixa. OK, Bond...time for the shock collar treatment again.

;)

Oh crap...sorry about that...I was thinking Ulysses. Here's hoping the Literature gods forgive me. Bond prays:

"Hail Larry, player of bass, may Fiction be with thee; blessed art thou among readers, and blessed is the fruit of thy typewriter, Reader's Digest.
Holy Larry, Brother of God, spellcheck for us sinners, now and at the hour of our deadline. Amen."
Last edited by QuestionEverything on Fri May 18, 2007 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

liz3564 wrote:

;)

Why do you persist in rewarding him?

Jersey Girl
;-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

And another:

The City of the Saints --- Sir Richard Burton. If ever a man was both completely of his time and counter to it, it would be Burton. He's such a fascinating character to me. Anywho, this book is worth reading, if a bit picaresque. Its also got some nice pen and ink sketches he drew around SLC, including a sketch of Black Rock. His account of swimming in tne Great Salt Lake is amusing, too. Idiot couldn't really believe the salinity claim, so dunked his head under and came up blind. Yuk, yuk. Also I think his vanity (and he was prodigously vain) accounts for the relatively free ride he gives BY. He's overly impressed that Brigham can point to the general area on a map where Burton last traveled. An unintentionally fun section of the book is Burton's Cliff Notes rendering, chapter by chapter, of the Book of Mormon. Too bad Mark Twain didn't read that!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Blixa

Post by _Gazelam »

I'll have to look that Book up, that sounds really good!

His account of swimming in tne Great Salt Lake is amusing, too. Idiot couldn't really believe the salinity claim, so dunked his head under and came up blind. Yuk, yuk.

That line reminded me of the movie Salt Lake City Punk where the kids steal a car for a joyride, then try to sink it in the lake to hide the evidence, they shove it in and it just floats away on top of the water. Very funny.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I must say, though, Gaz it does drag at times. Burton has to give a lot of "scientific information" about every plant and tree he sees, etc. But it does have its moments even if its not one of his best adventures (certainly not on par with sneaking into the Ka'ba on a Haj).

I'm not a fan of SLC Punk. I think its a sad distortion of "the scene," or maybe its just that "the scene" degenerated into that. If so, its not worth celebrating. Worse still is the film's absolute incomprehension of the terrible beauty of the Great Salt Lake and the salt flats. That landscape is such part of my soul that I feel homesick each day I live in exile from it...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Oh I just saw the movie once years ago and that scene made me laugh.

You have an interesting set of books you recommend. Have you read alot of the journals from the early saints? I know that whenever I hear Truman Madsen speaks, he always gives the early journals alot of praise as being real treasures.

Also, why do you say your in exile? Is it because of your teaching job and your having to be away for bussiness reasons? I've grown up in Las Vegas, and wish every day I had the financial ability to get away from here.

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I haven't read any original pioneer journals or diaries, Gaz. I actually plan to do so soonish (at least during the next five months of so) both in the LDS Church archives, Marriot and SUSC libraries and the Huntington in California. I'm also interested in the journals of one of the army officers who was in Utah during the "Utah War" but fortunately his are right here in the New York Public Library (and he wrote a lot! Only 4 journals of 35 are about his time in Utah).

I'm interested in this for a scholarly project, but alot of early Utah history is pretty interesting to me in its own right. I can't recommend the Utah historian Dale Morgan enough.

I've also found out that a lot of the history of the American West is more interesting than I had previously assumed, so I'm catching up with that. And I've needed to learn Native American history for some time now, so I'm picking up bits of that here and there.

I say "exile" half jokingly. I grew up in SLC and although I loved the area, absolutely loved the mountains, desert and lake, I had a hard time with the church, its cutlure and its dominance. And I also had a curiousity about other places and wanted to travel, see and live outside Utah for that reason, too. Now I'm kind of "stuck" since I have tenure, jobs in my field are very hard to get (the job I have now had 1400 applicants 10 years ago---I'm sure it would be more now) and since I'm interested in and write about contemporary art I pretty much have to be in NYC.

I've only recently, in the last 5 years, started visiting Utah again after nearly 20 years absence. And I'm overwhelmed with how attached I am (and always have been. There's a certain landscape feature in the Great Salt Lake that I dream about at least 4 times a week---I have all my life).

I don't know if I could ever live there again, though for many reasons, not all having to do with "the church" as you can see.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Truman Madsen lifts alot from various personal journals and testimonies in his Church history Books and talks. Heres some that might interest you:

This one is both on CD and in Book form. Theres alot of interesting tidbits scattered about. Like when the members of the church were told to join either the republican or democratic party instead of the churchs party. They went door to dooor down every street and went "your republican" next house "your democrat". He did one talk for each president of the church. I loved them, would listen to one every day going to and from work.

also

Both of these have plenty of journal references and delve into the history of the church. Not as much into the Salt Lake years obviously.
If the early days really interest you, he also did a collection of DVDs where he walks through all of the early church sitres and discusses what went on there.

It sounds to me like the Presidents one would be of the most interst to you, since you seem to really enjoy the Salt Lake era best. It really gives a cultural feel.

Gaz