Because I'm in the mood: Parody

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

dartagnan wrote:== That may be true in one respect, but I think it would only become problamatic were I to get so desparate for company that I imagine myself having conversations with people who for nearly a year now no longer wish to interact with me, and then try to disguise that desparation by calling it a "parody".

If you think this parody was an attempt to have a conversation with him, you’re dumber than I thought. Incidentally, DCP has mentioned me on numerous occasions since I was banned from that forum. In fact he just mentioned me yesterday. He has sent me emails out of the blue, even after saying he doesn’t want to debate me, and recently he decided to make his first appearance on Kerry’s blog, only because I was there.

It seems he is just as interested in taking pot shots at me, but the difference is I will face him in any forum, on any day, while he is duplicitous in claiming he doesn’t want anything to do with me, while bringing me up all the time.

Liz, this is one of those frequent instances where you just have to let wade be wade. Stump dumb to the end.

Of course I didn't think your parody was an attempt to have a converation with DCP. One would have to be ironically "stump dumb" and humor impaired to think that I had--if not prone to unwitting self-parody. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Did anyone catch the unintended self-parody in Wade's post? Oh man, it's priceless. But I'm not telling you what it is...

Oh yes! But I don't want to be the one to point it out to him; I'd rather one of Wade's friends be the one to do so.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Who Knows wrote:
wenglund wrote:
dartagnan wrote:Stop trying to posture yourself as a man with great insight. Nobody asks you to spill it because nobody cares. I think we all know you're trying to build suspense for something that will be a dumb observation that rests strictly on your own perspective.

It is kinda like wasting your time through a six minute joke just to hear a ridiculous punch line. You feel stupid for even listening.

It really is no great insight. Ironically, the six minute joke, with its dumb observation and ridiculous punch line, had already been told by you in th OP, and it invoked, at least in me, the very outcome you suggested. It, like many of your past posts (as well as the one I am now responding to), have entailed an unintended parody of yourself (out of respect for you I won't go into detail here about what I see as your self-parody--not that you would be open to hearing it anyway). And, I wasn't trying to build suspense so much as I was attempting to avoid being the one to confront you with this reality. I was hoping that one of your friends here, who cares as much if not more about you than I do, but who you might trust and listen to, would speak up for your sake.

Anyway, in a way you are correct, none of this whole parody business deserves anywhere near the attention that it has been given, and so I will just leave it at that.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Did anyone catch the unintended self-parody in Wade's post? Oh man, it's priceless. But I'm not telling you what it is...

Since I, unlike some, am able to take a joke as well as give them, and I can even joke about myself, I did catch the unintended self-parody. But, you don't need to tell me what it is because I already know that to your way of thinking it invariably has something to do with condescension. ;-)

Besides, I think you also provided a hint by mimicking me. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

While I confess I missed all this wonderful self-parody, I did catch the absolute zenith (or nadir, depending on which way you swing) of self-parody in the Westboro Baptist Church's announcement that the will be picketing Rev. Falwell's funeral.

Soon Fred Phelps is going to be reduced to picketing himself. Who else is left?

(Anybody ever see the WBC close-up in action? I did as part of a counter picket at one of their strange, strange events. Phelp's definition of "gay" is so broad as to include some forms of "hazing." He and his church/family showed up to picket a Long Island High School that had expelled some football team members for a hazing incident which included clumsy and homophobic humiliations. Somehow in Phelps's mind this constituted endorsement of "f***". Go figure.)
Last edited by Ahoody on Fri May 18, 2007 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

wenglund wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Did anyone catch the unintended self-parody in Wade's post? Oh man, it's priceless. But I'm not telling you what it is...

Since I, unlike some, am able to take a joke as well as give them, and I can even joke about myself, I did catch the unintended self-parody. But, you don't need to tell me what it is because I already know that to your way of thinking it invariably has something to do with condescension. ;-)

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Sorry, nope, you still didn't get it.

Ah man, it's so funny. I can't believe it.

And I'm still not going to tell you.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Who Knows wrote:
wenglund wrote:
Who Knows wrote:Did anyone catch the unintended self-parody in Wade's post? Oh man, it's priceless. But I'm not telling you what it is...

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Sorry, nope, you still didn't get it.

Ah man, it's so funny. I can't believe it.

And I'm still not going to tell you.

Whew...I'm glad to learn that at least you didn't think it was about condescension. I was beginning to think your penchant for mis-interpreting most everything I say in that way, was even worse than I thought.

I am also pleased, though, to see you now getting so much fun out of what I have said. It makes it all worth it.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I think I once read something about "turning the other cheek," which I interpreted as meaning letting go of a stupid argument before its run into the ground...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

wenglund wrote:Whew...I'm glad to learn that at least you didn't think it was about condescension.

Fortunately, unlike you, I can tell what is, and isn't, condescension.

If you still need help with that, let me know.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Blixa wrote:I think I once read something about "turning the other cheek," which I interpreted as meaning letting go of a stupid argument before its run into the ground...

Again, point well taken.

It is edifying reminders like this that make you such a great asset to this board. [Insert "thumbs up" icon here]

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

Did anyone notice the meta-parody subtext metaphor underlying message going on in this thread, or is it just me? Check under the bottle cap of your next Coke for a clue as to what it is.

This reminds me of an artist who throws paint at a canvass and then claims it's up to the observer to interpret it, then validates the first thing that comes into any observer's mind. "Oh yeah, that's what I meant all along. See how deep and cerebral I am?" Except in this case, it’s the observer making more of it than the artist.

Only an egotistical fool would think the clouds forming pictures was intentional on the part of the clouds and for the observer's benefit. But wait! It wasn't intentional! It was unintended self parody!
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.