Reason, Reason, Reason.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

rcrocket wrote: I see very little correlation between quality of speech on this forum and credentials.

rcrocket

How about an inverse correlation then?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

rcrocket wrote:Nehor is a wolf in sheeps' clothing. Outwardly saying nice things.

rcrocket

As opposed to a sheep in sheep's clothing bad mouthing others while inwardly thinking themself to be angelic? Baaaaahhh!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

rcrocket wrote:Nehor is a wolf in sheeps' clothing. Outwardly saying nice things.

rcrocket

Bob, you completely lost me with this comment. Are you serious?
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

rcrocket wrote:
guy sajer wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you think that your mentor (that would be JC himself) would approve of all your tactics in promoting his mission (you know, the insults, the slander, the rudeness, the belittling, etc.)?

Are you kidding? Of course not! I have never claimed to perfection. But, you're right, the insults, slander, rudeness and belittling should stop, but then all my favored foils on this Board would have nothing to say.

Nehor is a wolf in sheeps' clothing. Outwardly saying nice things.

rcrocket

Is he a member of the pack here, or the herd?
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Unbelievable.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

rcrocket wrote:
guy sajer wrote:
Out of curiosity, do you think that your mentor (that would be JC himself) would approve of all your tactics in promoting his mission (you know, the insults, the slander, the rudeness, the belittling, etc.)?

Are you kidding? Of course not! I have never claimed to perfection. But, you're right, the insults, slander, rudeness and belittling should stop, but then all my favored foils on this Board would have nothing to say.

Nehor is a wolf in sheeps' clothing. Outwardly saying nice things.

rcrocket

Huh????

I always fancied myself more a Sperm Whale in an albatross's clothing.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Q.E.D.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Sure, as soon as you tell me who all the "other folks" are....

I already made clear my meaning about that and reconstructed the sentence in question to reflect that.

Keep up the pose...
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

rcrocket wrote:
guy sajer wrote:Yes, without knowing better, one would conclude, using this reasoning, that rcrocket is the most credentialed person here.

Thanks! Finally we can speak as friends. I appreciate the compliment! Yes, I am highly credentialed: I work my motorcycle at over 130 mph and can run 50 miles on a hilly trail without stopping in under 9 1/2 hours. That makes me qualified, on this board, to say what I choose.

If you can run 50 hilly miles in under 9 1/2 hours, then you, my friend, are better than credentialed, you are a stud.

I'm training for a marathon, and I'll be happy if I can finish and maintain a 10-minute/mile pace the entire time.

This certainly buys you some street cred in my book.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_JAK
_Emeritus

Re: Reason, Reason, Reason.

Post by _JAK »

Tommy wrote:To which I say, Faith, Faith, and more Faith. Unless a man have faith, he is nothing. I've noticed a number of posts recently where critics of the Lord's work unleash their anger at the annointed. They demand reason. They demand evidence. They bellow and they argue. They rant and the rave. They gnash their teeth at those who consecrate themselves to the Kingdom.

Brothers and sisters, be ye not dismayed. Be ye not deceived. Do not let doubting thoughts erode the foundation of your faith. Do not succumb to the false teachings of science.

The computer and the Internet, for instance, are examples of how faith blesses our lives. There was no "science" and "skeptical review" or "burdens of proof" being met with the invention of these tools. Emperical evidence had nothing to do with them. Man knows about computing technology because God revealed it. God gave us the computer and the Internet in order to speed up the work of genealogy.

I was not with Joseph in the Sacred Grove, but I believe him. As should all of you.

I say these things in Christ's name, Amen.

Tommy stated:
Reason, Reason, Reason.
To which I say, Faith, Faith, and more Faith. Unless a man have faith, he is nothing.

Faith is irrelevant. Beliefs contrary to fact and evidence are irrelevant. Information is relevant.

Tommy stated:
I've noticed a number of posts recently where critics of the Lord's work unleash their anger at the annointed (anointed). They demand reason. They demand evidence. They bellow and they argue. They rant and the rave. They gnash their teeth at those who consecrate themselves to the Kingdom.

Vague, meaningless self aggrandizement. Religious mythologies are fiction, Tommy. There are many of them. They don’t agree with one another. They are self-contradictory in their own dogmas. And they substitute doctrine for discovery.

Tommy stated:
Brothers and sisters, be ye not dismayed. Be ye not deceived. Do not let doubting thoughts erode the foundation of your faith. Do not succumb to the false teachings of science.

Indeed. Deception lies in the dogma of religious pundits such as yourself. But, you are hardly alone. There are many who would make quite different deceptions/claims than your.

“False teachings of science” are what?

Can you clearly and without ambiguity identify these -- as you claim?

Contrary to any evidence which you can set forward, computer technology is a product of applied science. AND, it is reliable applied science, generally. If you can read this as we could read your topic, the applied science was reliable. “Faith” is irrelevant. God notions are irrelevant as well. Genuine discovery is a product of intellectually honest exploration and discovery.

There is overwhelming evidence for how and why science is reliable and works (as it works in this bb). But it works throughout our reliance on invention and discovery added to discovery over thousands of years in that honest intellectual pursuit of reliable conclusion. “Faith” is irrelevant. God notions are irrelevant.

You present nothing which supports your various flawed claims.

Tommy stated:
The computer and the Internet, for instance, are examples of how faith blesses our lives. There was no "science" and "skeptical review" or "burdens of proof" being met with the invention of these tools. Emperical evidence had nothing to do with them. Man knows about computing technology because God revealed it. God gave us the computer and the Internet in order to speed up the work of genealogy.

You have presented no evidence for your God claim. You have presented no evidence, therefore, that any particular of human discovery or invention can be attributed to your God claim.

What you do is make false claim and immediately make additional false claim as you ASSUME absent evidence that your God claim had been established. No God claim has been established by you.

Repetition of God did it fails as support for your claim(s), Tommy.

However, ample evidence can be traced historically and factually regarding the discoveries made by humans regarding physics. The evolution of accumulated information is a process which has developed over hundreds of centuries. And the past century alone has seen enormous discovery after tens of thousands of years of human evolution.

See documentation:

Understanding Evolution

Talk Orgins

A List of Websites on Human Evolution

As we can see from these and many other websites, your position is not supported, and in fact, demonstrates ignorance.

Keep in mind that just since the beginning of the Protestant Reformation (1517), more than 1,000 denominations, sects, and cults have emerged including LDS which has a very short history by comparison with Roman Catholic, Lutheran, or more comprehensively, All of These

Keep in mind as well that LDS and RLDS are but two organizations which make religious pontification. Even they don’t agree with one another. God notions are irrelevant, Tommy. As a group, religious organizations are products of fiction, doctrine, and dogma which have undergone doctrinal shifts over time.

That is documented in the websites listed above. But it is documented historically in any objective study of Comparative Religions which one might undertake in a university setting (not connected directly with any one of these partisan, self-serving religious groups).

JAK