Most fascinating thing Helen Whitney learned about Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

It was a common one, back in my day. I heard it several time in my ward, everyone I went to Jr. High and High School with was familiar with it too. I think its provenance exceeded the Millcreek/Holladay area as well, as later in college I had friends from many areas in the Salt Lake valley who had been exposed to it. Beyond, that I cannot say.

I should check with siog and ask her about it. I'm sure she knows it, but I'd like to know if she heard it before she moved to SLC...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Blixa wrote:It was a common one, back in my day. I heard it several time in my ward, everyone I went to Jr. High and High School with was familiar with it too. I think its provenance exceeded the Millcreek/Holladay area as well, as later in college I had friends from many areas in the Salt Lake valley who had been exposed to it. Beyond, that I cannot say.

I should check with siog and ask her about it. I'm sure she knows it, but I'd like to know if she heard it before she moved to SLC...

Horrible.

At the end of my mission, I had two companions, both of whom were from the same ward in Millcreek. That's the only connection I have to that place.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Well you might remember wings and I had a long discussion on RfM about the "uniqueness" (or not?) of our original stomping grounds. In some ways it was a very typical middle-class suburban american neighborhood, in other ways it epitomized the "peculiar" aspects of Mormon culture all too well. Either way, an astonishing number of "interesting" types hail from my old neighborhood and immediate environs. If you don't remember the series of "memoirs" I posted, I'll be happy to email them to you.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

Blixa wrote:It was during two MIA meetings: one where my teacher lectured on the evils of feminism, and another where she repeated the oft-told Faith-Promoting Rumor about the couple whose temple marriage is interrupted when the officiator "has a feeling" that the marriage should not happen, an event which prompts one of the two to break down and "admit" they have "black blood" in them.

Oh, my! I've never heard this, either from years in the church or from more years of reading Mormon boards, and that's a whole lot of years. There were two things that gave me a sick feeling as a teenager, 1) that Mormonism didn't oppose Nazism in Germany, and 2) that it was better to die than lose one's virtue in case of rape. But I was so in love with the church then that the queasiness was consciously ignored, although I did worry for a long time about the possibility of a man overcoming me by force and not offering to kill me, should I kill myself? I worried about that until it actually happened, and it was a difficult experience in many ways, of course, but I never felt the least condemnation from God. That was what finally opened up the way out of the church for me.

If I had been a clear-thinking 14-yr-old instead of an emotional little train wreck, I would run have the the other way the first time I was invited to Mutual and memorized the scripture of the year, "I will go and do the thing which the Lord hath commanded ..." I joined up and spent 22 years as a Mormon because the people in that first little ward were loving and supportive of me and I needed that then. That's why, now, I get a sick feeling when I hear "the church is perfect but the people are not." in my opinion, the people are mostly wonderful but the religion sucks.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Lucretia MacEvil wrote:There were two things that gave me a sick feeling as a teenager, 1) that Mormonism didn't oppose Nazism in Germany, and 2) that it was better to die than lose one's virtue in case of rape.

That was quite common, as well. I should have mentioned it before, because it was also a really "bad feeling" moment for me, too.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Blixa wrote:If you don't remember the series of "memoirs" I posted, I'll be happy to email them to you.

Why not start a new thread and post them here so we can all enjoy them?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Blixa wrote:If you don't remember the series of "memoirs" I posted, I'll be happy to email them to you.

I don't remember the memoirs and would love to hear them.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Runtu wrote:I don't remember the memoirs and would love to hear them.

There were several RfM posters who came from the same neighborhood that produced Diaper Man, whom Blixa saved from certain death. I can't believe you don't know those stories, Runtu!

I was there at Exmo conference when Blixa met Wings for the first time since Wings was Blixa's babysitter. That was a lot of fun.

KA
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

KimberlyAnn wrote:There were several RfM posters who came from the same neighborhood that produced Diaper Man, whom Blixa saved from certain death. I can't believe you don't know those stories, Runtu!

I was there at Exmo conference when Blixa met Wings for the first time since Wings was Blixa's babysitter. That was a lot of fun.

KA

I remember the Diaper Man story. And by the way, I mentioned your party in my top ten list.
Runtu's Rincón

_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

Runtu wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:

I don't remember the memoirs and would love to hear them.

I know it's a cyber-crime to reproduce a post and just add "me too," but ... me too.