I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Sai

Post by _harmony »

JAK wrote:Money speaks a loudly in religion as anywhere else. And make no mistake, religion is a business. Generally, membership in the club requires financial payment of dues characterized in some fashion. [/color]

JAK

Of course religion is a business. And a club with membership dues. What annoys some of us so much is that the money we give to the LDS church is not accounted for. We expect to pay. It's part of our budget. But some of us at least would like to see where the money goes.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Everybody run! "Gojira's" panties are in a bunch!

Someone said this is really Vegas. I'm still not sure. The style is Coffee.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

It's Vegas. Trust me.

I hope you don't object to the "Gojira" part. Cog. I've always thought of it as Zilla's pet name. Also there is a very good and fun novel about Godzilla's life and times called Gojiro.

A description of the novel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gojiro
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_JAK
_Emeritus

Post by _JAK »

harmony wrote:
JAK wrote:Money speaks a loudly in religion as anywhere else. And make no mistake, religion is a business. Generally, membership in the club requires financial payment of dues characterized in some fashion. [/color]

JAK

Of course religion is a business. And a club with membership dues. What annoys some of us so much is that the money we give to the LDS church is not accounted for. We expect to pay. It's part of our budget. But some of us at least would like to see where the money goes.

It seems reasonable that if one pays any money to any person, group, or charity, one has a claim on knowing how the money was used.

If one does not know that or cannot find it out, it seems foolish for such a person to pay into a shadowy abyss.

JAK
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

JAK wrote:It seems reasonable that if one pays any money to any person, group, or charity, one has a claim on knowing how the money was used.

If one does not know that or cannot find it out, it seems foolish for such a person to pay into a shadowy abyss.

JAK

I think it's hilarious how you always expect people to be reasonable, JAK. Maybe in the Utopia where you live, everyone acts reasonably, but in the real world where I live, people are often unreasonable.

To me, the expectation should be the other way around: it should be reasonable for the recipient to provide that documentation. Personally, I think it should be the law that any entity that accepts donations should be required to show where the money goes. If they don't provide that voluntarily, it should be required by law (kinda like consumer protection laws).
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

I've heard people say they "belong to a...."certain church'". I don't read anymore into it....perhaps you read into it if you hear a Mormon say it because you think the LDS church is a tad more oppressive/clanish/cultish than the mainstream.

Personally I worship at the altar of Ron Burgundy....and I got Jack Johnson and Tom O'Leary waiting for you if you got a problem with that. :-)
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07