Memorial Day

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Memorial Day

Post by _wenglund »

Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties, and also for our forefathers who made it possible for us to have the marvelous quality of life we have been blessed to share. But most of all, I wish to humbly and gratefully remember the exempliary life and redeeming sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties,

Thank you and I concur wholeheartedly. However, just by making the statement you made above, you're going to draw the ire form some here who think the entire things is a plot by Bush to build a Romanesque empire in the Middle East, or who don't believe we're even in a war at all; that the whole enterprise is a creation of the administration for some or the other less than noble reason. 9/11 was one, isolated incident. Move on...nothing to see here. Life goes on. You won't avoid a fruitless discussion with this bunch saying things like this. This is chum.

Thanks for the thought, and God bless our troops.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Re: Memorial Day

Post by _harmony »

wenglund wrote:... I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties, and also for our forefathers who made it possible for us to have the marvelous quality of life we have been blessed to share. But most of all, I wish to humbly and gratefully remember the exempliary life and redeeming sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

To that part, I can say an emphatic "AMEN!"
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

Coggins7 wrote:
Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties,

Thank you and I concur wholeheartedly. However, just by making the statement you made above, you're going to draw the ire form some here who think the entire things is a plot by Bush to build a Romanesque empire in the Middle East, or who don't believe we're even in a war at all; that the whole enterprise is a creation of the administration for some or the other less than noble reason. 9/11 was one, isolated incident. Move on...nothing to see here. Life goes on. You won't avoid a fruitless discussion with this bunch saying things like this. This is chum.

I doubt, though, that any reaction here will compare to the astonishingly vile reaction I got to the same post at CARM--Mormonism (A Calvanist/Reformist discussion board on Mormonism).

Here is the lone response posted just before my thread was deleted:

this post has nothing to do with the fake religion of Mormonism. rest assured, it is, and has been, because of the
faithful young men and women that folks like you, Mormons, have the right to practice your filthy heresy.

i am offended by your attempts to defocus from your false belief system and use both our veterans and contemporary warriors to bear your false testimony. i have requested a moderator to remove this thread. Peace, in His love, joe

Who would have guessed that my well-meaning attempt to honor the sacred memory of our forebearers and recall to mind the redemptive sacrifice of Christ, would engender this kind of response from a so-called "Christian"? Amazing!

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

wenglund wrote:I doubt, though, that any reaction here will compare to the astonishingly vile reaction I got to the same post at CARM--Mormonism (A Calvanist/Reformist discussion board on Mormonism).

this post has nothing to do with the fake religion of Mormonism. rest assured, it is, and has been, because of the
faithful young men and women that folks like you, Mormons, have the right to practice your filthy heresy.

I am offended by your attempts to defocus from your false belief system and use both our veterans and contemporary warriors to bear your false testimony. I have requested a moderator to remove this thread. Peace, in His love, joe

Who would have guessed that my well-meaning attempt to honor the sacred memory of our forebearers and recall to mind the redemptive sacrifice of Christ, would engender this kind of response from a so-called "Christian"? Amazing!

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Wade---

I thought you had intended this to be a nice and reflective reminder of the purpose of Memorial Day? And yet here you are using it as an opportunity to bash critics of the Church? Tsk tsk tsk!
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

wenglund wrote:
Coggins7 wrote:

I doubt, though, that any reaction here will compare to the astonishingly vile reaction I got to the same post at CARM--Mormonism (A Calvanist/Reformist discussion board on Mormonism).

I am offended by your attempts to defocus from your false belief system and use both our veterans and contemporary warriors to bear your false testimony. I have requested a moderator to remove this thread. Peace, in His love, joe

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Good heavens! I thought some of the responses to Falwell's death here were just about as far down the crapper as it could go, but this is nose to nose, I'll admit.

As Droopy used to say, "Frightening, isn't it?."
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Wade---

I thought you had intended this to be a nice and reflective reminder of the purpose of Memorial Day? And yet here you are using it as an opportunity to bash critics of the Church? Tsk tsk tsk!

Move along...nothing to see here...
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

harmony wrote:
wenglund wrote:... I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties, and also for our forefathers who made it possible for us to have the marvelous quality of life we have been blessed to share. But most of all, I wish to humbly and gratefully remember the exempliary life and redeeming sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

To that part, I can say an emphatic "AMEN!"

I appreciate you saying so. It genuinely means alot to me.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I don't think that one can only honor veterans and the military dead by also supporting the battles and wars in which they lost their lives. Memorial Day is an opportunity to respect individuals not foreign and domestic policy.

I think one can sincerely offer thanks to the dead and sympathy to their families, regardless of their ideological bent. And that's why I endorse the call to remembrance Wade made in his original post.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

wenglund wrote:Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties, and also for our forefathers who made it possible for us to have the marvelous quality of life we have been blessed to share. But most of all, I wish to humbly and gratefully remember the exempliary life and redeeming sacrifice of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Having returned from a very moving Memorial service to honor those who sacrificed their lives and service to protect our freedom and the freedom of others, my heart is full today.

I am so grateful that my girls live here in America where they are equal in society and free from fanatical sexist religous laws that are harmful to women. One of the great blessings that will come from a democracy in the Middle East will be freedom of religion in which women will finally have a voice. Regardless of anybody's support or opposition to the reasons for the war, I would hope that everyone could find the good in that.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith