Memorial Day

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

Coggins7 wrote:
Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties,

Thank you and I concur wholeheartedly. However, just by making the statement you made above, you're going to draw the ire form some here who think the entire things is a plot by Bush to build a Romanesque empire in the Middle East, or who don't believe we're even in a war at all; that the whole enterprise is a creation of the administration for some or the other less than noble reason. 9/11 was one, isolated incident. Move on...nothing to see here. Life goes on. You won't avoid a fruitless discussion with this bunch saying things like this. This is chum.

Thanks for the thought, and God bless our troops.

I am not one of those people. Be careful about your assumptions.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Did I say you were?
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

Coggins7 wrote:

Did I say you were?

Not exactly, but my first reaction to reading your post was that the critics on this board would have those extreme anti war political views. I don't doubt that some might, but just wanted to point out that I am a critic of Mormonism and believe that building a democracy in the Middle East is the only way that we can protect our freedom from a fanatical religous movement.

I often feel like we all get labeled with one broad brush by TBMs so it was an overly sensitive comment on my part. My apologies.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

Coggins7 wrote:
Rather than engage in fruitless discussions today, I would just like to express on this Memorial Day my profound gratitude and appreciation for the soldiers who have bravely served to protect our lives and liberties,

Thank you and I concur wholeheartedly. However, just by making the statement you made above, you're going to draw the ire form some here who think the entire things is a plot by Bush to build a Romanesque empire in the Middle East, or who don't believe we're even in a war at all; that the whole enterprise is a creation of the administration for some or the other less than noble reason. 9/11 was one, isolated incident. Move on...nothing to see here. Life goes on. You won't avoid a fruitless discussion with this bunch saying things like this. This is chum.

Thanks for the thought, and God bless our troops.

I don't know the motivation of the Bush Admin for going into Iraq. Perhaps they actually believed that Sadaam had WMDs and posed a legit threat. Or perhaps they had some other reason valid in their eyes. I don't know.

That said, I would further say that the war IS a creation of the Bush Administration. No Bush, no war in Iraq. I think it's really that simple. I also think that this will go down as one of the biggest foreign policy blunders of our times. So, I do not support the war, not one iota. But I do support the troops and wish them all success and safe return from this God-awful mess Bush and his cronies have gotten them in to.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_wenglund
_Emeritus

Post by _wenglund »

My gratitude to all those who joined me in this memorial observance and for your inspiring thoughts.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

wenglund wrote:Who would have guessed that my well-meaning attempt to honor the sacred memory of our forebearers and recall to mind the redemptive sacrifice of Christ, would engender this kind of response from a so-called "Christian"? Amazing!

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

I wouldn't have guessed it because I've never been to that board, but you must have known exactly what would happen to your post or you wouldn't have posted it.

We live in a world of egos -- theirs, yours and mine (not to mention the Iraquis), and so we will have war until we transcend the need to attack/defend ego forms like religion and control of oil wells. Until then, I also am grateful to live in America and for the troops who are willing to fight for our protection. I also acknowledge that to be a purely selfish motive on my part.