Mainstreaming the Church

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Mainstreaming the Church

Post by _Jersey Girl »

For those of you who have a lifetime of active and firsthand experience with the LDS Church.

1. Do you think it's becoming more "mainstream"
2. What are the signs that this is developing?
3. Why might it be developing?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_truth dancer
_Emeritus

Post by _truth dancer »

Hey Jersey Girl...

1. Absolutely!

2. Trying to portray the image of mainstream Christianity by changing the church logo, changing the temple rites and ceremony, downplaying differences (GBH's couplet idea), etc. etc.

3. To appear less odd and fit in better with mainstream society.

:-)

~dancer~
"The search for reality is the most dangerous of all undertakings for it destroys the world in which you live." Nisargadatta Maharaj
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

truth dancer wrote:Hey Jersey Girl...

1. Absolutely!

2. Trying to portray the image of mainstream Christianity by changing the church logo, changing the temple rites and ceremony, downplaying differences (GBH's couplet idea), etc. etc.

~dancer~

Ditto....except install ~Bond~ in place of ~dancer~.

An addition to #3. It should probably say mainstream Christian society because (sometimes sadly) Christian society is mainstream.
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

1. Absolutely!

~dancer~

Hi td!

How did the church logo change, and when did that happen?

Jersey Girl
(Formerly known as "the other dancer" :-)
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Jersey Girl wrote:

1. Absolutely!

~dancer~

Hi td!

How did the church logo change, and when did that happen?

Jersey Girl
(Formerly known as "the other dancer" :-)

I think it happened in '95. The logo was changed so the words fit more neatly and the words "Jesus Christ" in the Church's name were increased in size.

I can't find an online pic of the old logo but it didn't look very good at all. I am glad for the change.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Re: Mainstreaming the Church

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Jersey Girl wrote:For those of you who have a lifetime of active and firsthand experience with the LDS Church.

1. Do you think it's becoming more "mainstream"
2. What are the signs that this is developing?
3. Why might it be developing?

Jersey Girl

Yes but as Armund Mauss notes the Church will alway try to balance the tension between being too much mainstream but different enough to be "unique." In this process it will lose members that are either to conservative or too liberal.