A defense of Islam

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_rcrocket

Post by _rcrocket »

Coggins7 wrote:First of all, there is no "occupation" of Palestine by Israel in the sense of outright theft or expropriation. The occupation was necessitated by the incessant attacks of genocidal barbarians that begin as soon as the state of Israel was created and proceeded continuously until the Yom Kipper War and the Six Day War, at which point the Golan Heights and other captured territories (the spoils of endless wars of annihilation began, in each case, by the Islamic states) were retained as a buffer between Israel and there implacable enemies.

Second, there is no such thing as any definable people known as "The Palestinians" who ever occupied this land in historic times. The Jews, as an identifiable people, have a continuous presence in this region for upwards of 3,000 years.

You're just begging the question by saying there is no such thing as "Palestinians." There were 700,000 Arabs forced out of their homes and into refugee camps. Before the Balfour declaration the Jewish presence had been nominal or non-existent for 2000 years.

"Genocidal barbarians that begin as soon as the state of Israel was created . . . ." OK. I live in California. One day, I'm forced out of my home at gunpoint by Russians. The next day a Russian is living in my home.

Who is in the right if I attempt to retake my home?

I don' t think you or Kevin Graham can really talk about this dispassionately. The first attack out of the box from Graham attacks my credentials. I am not an Islamic historian but I have an extensive personal library and read history.

It seems to me that the true Christian disciple should embrace the Arab and the Jews as brothers, and avoid taking any side in the conflict. We should not get in the business of race-baiting. A true follower of the Mormon faith should stay out of the rhetoric of hatred and leave the dispute to God.

The 9/11 attack was not instigated by the Arabs of Iraq, or the Iranis. Yet, we have waged genocidal war on the one and threaten to do so on the other.

rcrocket
Last edited by _rcrocket on Tue May 29, 2007 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Are you unable to respond without ad hominems?

I'm perfectly capable. I'll try my best, but won't make any promises. After all, I have been rougher on those who haven't repeatedly called me a coward.

Besides, I think you know I have an emotional nerve attached to this subject, and were probably expecting an argument.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

rcrocket The 9/11 attack was not instigated by the Arabs of Iraq, or the Iranis. Yet, we have waged genocidal war on the one and threaten to do so on the other.
It’s Al Qaeda that has deliberately targeting kids receiving candy from soldiers for car bombs. And Iran’s leader has made comments like this:
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad called Israel a "permanent threat" to the Middle East that will "soon" be liberated. He also appeared to again question whether the Holocaust really happened.
"Like it or not, the Zionist regime is heading toward annihilation," Ahmadinejad said at the opening of a conference in support of the Palestinians. "The Zionist regime is a rotten, dried tree that will be eliminated by one storm."
Ahmadinejad provoked a world outcry in October when he said Israel should be "wiped off the map."
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id ... _article=1

He’s clearly a Hitler wannabe and is the one who is threatening genocide.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

You're just begging the question by saying there is no such thing as "Palestinians." There were 700,000 Arabs forced out of their homes and into refugee camps. Before the Balfour declaration the Jewish presence had been nominal or non-existent for 2000 years.

For heaven's sake rc, this was 1917. The refugee problem was not created by Balfour, but by the Arabs after the creation of the state of Israel. I don't know where your getting this idea that the Jews hadn't been in Palestine for 2,000 years. Good heavens this sounds like Hamas propaganda. The Jews have been an identifiable prsense in Palestine and Jerusalem for the last 3,300 years. Israel became a identifiable nation around 1312 B.C., and the Jews have been there-with various groups of Palestinian Arabs, ever since. However, there was never any such thing as a identifiable "Palestinian people" or nation, at least, not until it appeared in 1967 out of historical whole cloth. The land you are speaking of was never a Palestinian homeland at all. It was occupied for thousands of years by various Arab groups, but that's another thing entirely, this was not a homogeneous people or a nation state.

2. Arab refugees in Israel began identifying themselves as part of a Palestinian people in 1967, two decades after the establishment of the modern State of Israel.

3. Since the Jewish conquest in 1272 B.C., the Jews have had dominion over the land for 1,000 years with a continuous presence in the land for the past

"Genocidal barbarians that begin as soon as the state of Israel was created . . . ." OK. I live in California. One day, I'm forced out of my home at gunpoint by Russians. The next day a Russian is living in my home. Who is in the right if I attempt to retake my home?

Did you read my post even at all? You are apparently emotionally or psychologically closed to the simple historical facts here. There was never any such thing as a Palestinian homeland to begin with. There was never a nation state, and never a definable people or body politic. Further rc, as I pointed out, it was not the Jews who through the Palestinian Arabs out of there homes and lands, but the other Arabs around them, including Egypt, who created the Gaza camps. Israel would have allowed these Arabs to return and resettle their lands and return to their homes, but the Arab states had other plans for them. Many Arabs indeed, moved to Israel for the jobs and democratic freedoms it offered. Many others have been trapped in the Arab created "occupied territories" since then.

You have utterly failed to engage a main point here that the refugee problem was created by some 25 years of genocidal Arab aggression, not by Israel's to keep itself from obliteration.

I don' t think you or Kevin Graham can really talk about this dispassionately. The first attack out of the box from Graham attacks my credentials. I am not an Islamic historian but I have an extensive personal library and read history.

So do I, and so does Robert Spencer, Danial Pipes, Steve Emerson, and many others.

It seems to me that the true Christian disciple should embrace the Arab and the Jews as brothers, and avoid taking any side in the conflict. We should not get in the business of race-baiting. A true follower of the Mormon faith should stay out of the rhetoric of hatred and leave the dispute to God.

The present world wide struggle against political Islam has nothing whatsoever to do with race, and everything to do with culture and religion. From their perspective, this is an apocalyptic war with the entire infidel world, in which only one side can reign supreme. That is their ideology. If we, as Americans, do not take sides against those who wish to do the same to us as they wish to do to the Jews, we may very well lose this war.

What you are counseling here, wrapped in the folds of LDS doctrine, is moral and intellectual,indifference, if not worse, in the face of what could be cataclysmic consequences to the asendency of Islamic Jihadism.

The 9/11 attack was not instigated by the Arabs of Iraq, or the Iranis. Yet, we have waged genocidal war on the one and threaten to do so on the other.

No one ever said the Iraqis or Iranians had anything to do with 9/11 (although, its perfectly plausible that they may have, on the periphery, and we know Saddam had a number of high level contacts with Al Quada going back at least into the early Nineties). I'm going to ignore your hysterical use of the term "genocidal" to describe either our motives in the present war or our half baked attempts at winning it, and just point out that regime change in Iraq was on the U.N. and Clinton administration table years before George Bush ever took office.

After 9/11, we needed to get Saddam out of the way so we could get on with other things, as well as take care of the Taliban. We had already been in a continual war with Iraq for the prior ten years, and Clinton had already threatened Saddam with forcible removal years before the Twin Towers. We are at war, from our enemies perspective, with the entire Islamic world. We are therefore, at war with each and every Islamist group which supports the subjugation of the world to Sharia. Iran has threatened to use nuclear weapons to wipe Israel off the map.

No, there's no war going on here...move along...
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

It appears that rc has been spending far to much time at Moveon.org or on Cindy Sheehan's homepage, then with serious history.

I cannot believe some of the stuff I'm seeing here. I'd expect it from Vegas, or Coffee, or Scratch, or Michael Moore, but not from rc.
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

I think that Mormons and Evangelicals tend to think and say vicious things against People of the Book without understanding them.

People of what book? “People of the Book” is a phrase Muslims use in reference to Jews and Christians. They would be insulted if we called them that.

The State of Israel was born in 1948 and, instantly, 700,000 Muslims living in Palestine became homeless.

Wow, that’s some history. One is almost compelled to assume nothing took place in between the “birth of Israel” and Palestinians becoming “homeless.” That is because we are not reading history in this opening post; we are reading propaganda that neglects to share uncomfortable historical facts that undermine an agenda. For example, the fact that most Arabs fled the scene in anticipation of war; their neighboring Arab countries would come in and drive the Jews into the sea. As was always the case in Islam, they absolutely refused to live under a Jewish majority (so much for Islamic pluralism). War is what was expected. The Arabs did invade as expected but the outcome wasn’t as the Palestinian Arabs had hoped. Israel won the war. So then there was the weird situation of allowing people who wanted you dead, back into the neighborhood.

Muslims or their predecessor Arabs or other Semitic peoples had been living there since the fall of Jerusalem around 70 A.D. when the Romans sent punitive forces into Palestine. Before that time, Jews and the nation of Israel occupied Palestine for 1,300 years. In terms of total recent occupation of the region, who has the better claims?

There has always been a Jewish presence in Palestine and the Arabs who lived there had a tendency to migrate elsewhere. Palestine was always a stopping point for the desert nomads, which is why it remained a neglected, underdeveloped region for so long. Nobody ever stuck around to develop it. Now all of the sudden they act like it is their long lost homeland that was “stolen” from them. In March of 1918, Sherif Hussein, the guardian of the Islamic Holy Places in Arabia said:

“The resources of the country (Palestine) are still virgin soil and will be developed by the Jewish immigrants. One of the most amazing things until recent times was that the Palestinian used to leave his country, wandering over the high seas in every direction. His native soil could not retain a hold on him, though his ancestors had lived on it for 1000 years. At the same time we have seen the Jews from foreign countries streaming to Palestine from Russia, Germany, Austria, Spain, America. The cause of causes could not escape those who had a gift of deeper insight. They knew that the country was for its original sons, for all their differences, a sacred and beloved homeland. The return of these exiles to their homeland will prove materially and spiritually [to be] an experimental school for their brethren who are with them in the fields, factories, trades and in all things connected with toil and labor.”

It is a common misperception that the Romans had driven them all out 1800 years ago. The Palestinians were considered the mongrels of the desert, having contributed virtually nothing to its growth. For example, as late as 1880, the American consul in Jerusalem reported the area was continuing its historic decline. "The population and wealth of Palestine has not increased during the last forty years," he said.

The Jews were responsible for all that was good in that area. The Report of the Palestine Royal Commission quotes an account of the Maritime Plain in 1913:

“The road leading from Gaza to the north was only a summer track suitable for transport by camels and carts...no orange groves, orchards or vineyards were to be seen until one reached [the Jewish village of] Yabna....Houses were all of mud. No windows were anywhere to be seen....The ploughs used were of wood....The yields were very poor....The sanitary conditions in the village were horrible. Schools did not exist....The western part, towards the sea, was almost a desert....The villages in this area were few and thinly populated. Many ruins of villages were scattered over the area, as owing to the prevalence of malaria, many villages were deserted by their inhabitants.”

Gee, sounds worse than the conditions at current refugee camps. In the same report Lewis French, the British Director of Development wrote of Palestine:

“We found it inhabited by fellahin who lived in mud hovels and suffered severely from the prevalent malaria....Large areas...were uncultivated....The fellahin, if not themselves cattle thieves, were always ready to harbor these and other criminals. The individual plots...changed hands annually. There was little public security, and the fellahin's lot was an alternation of pillage and blackmail by their neighbors, the Bedouin.”

In 1914 Dawood Barakat, editor of the Egyptian paper Al-Ahram, wrote: "It is absolutely necessary that an entente be made between the Zionists and Arabs, because the war of words can only do evil. The Zionists are necessary for the country: The money which they will bring, their knowledge and intelligence, and the industriousness which characterizes them will contribute without doubt to the regeneration of the country."
Eventually, the State of Israel granted suffrage rights to those Palestinians, but not to any Palestinian who entered to country thereafter.

The refugees had been given an opportunity to stay in their homes and be a part of the new state and about 160,000 chose to do so. The rest decided to flee the region in hopes that Israel would be blown off the map. Israel’s foreign minister said it would have been “suicidal folly” to allow them back in. Who could argue otherwise? This would be like granting the entire Taliban organization US citizenship. It doesn’t matter where you are born. No country is obligated to allow people who seek its destruction, within their borders.

The State of Israel receives more U.S. foreign aid than any other country in the world.

And Arab nations as a group receive almost the same amount, as they are being bribed not to wage war on Israel again. Israel was originally funded so it could protect itself against numerous aggressive nations which they face at every corner of their borders.

Their defense industry is almost entirely propped up by the U.S. Department of Defense, with technology transfers, plans for fighter planes and other conventional weapons. Yet, the state of Israel sends spies to the U.S. to steal defense secrets.

Oh good grief, could your agenda be any more transparent than this? And Egypt is emphatically anti-American outwardly, yet receives roughly 2-3 billion a year as a bribe. Palestine receives aid from various sources yet it declares an agenda to have Israel literally DESTROYED. That is its ultimate goal and it has never floundered on this point.

Although Mohamed seized Palestine and all of North Africa by force in the eight century, Christians retaliated with force with multiple unsuccessful crusades.

The Byzantine Empire decided to finally fight back after watching two-thirds of its territory being taken by force by Islamic forces. It requested the help of the Pope, who called for volunteers to reclaim Jerusalem and ease the oppression that the Muslims had been inflicting on the Christians there. The Crusades were defensive in every sense of the term.

Frustrated by their lack of success in the Levant, the crusaders turned against Jews and dissident Christians, as well as Byzantium.

These were isolated events by renegade groups which had nothing to do with a frustration with failure. Where the hell do you get this crap anyway?

In terms of who has the higher moral ground for occupation of Palestine, it is impossible to say, but certainly Muslim occupation for 1200 of the most recent years, Arab occupation of the most recent 2000 years, should say something about the moral right to occupy.

No it doesn’t. That is a stupid argument to make and I am literally shocked to see someone of your stature make it. Aren’t you supposed to be a worthy nemesis to Bagley? This kind of ahistorical rant isn’t doing you any favors.

Muslims are said to be the mortal enemies of the United States.

By whom? Mostly by Muslims themselves.

But, who is propping up the occupier of their homeland?

It isn’t their land.

The destruction of Iraq was probably the worst thing that could happen to the security of the United States. Iraq and Iran kept each other at bay for years in a bitter feud; Muslim against Muslim, but Arab and Iranians. With Saddam gone, and when the United States leaves, the Iranians will simply fill the vacuum. Israel will be forced to strike against nuclear facilities (it has done so in the past), and where are we?

Wow, Iraq has been destroyed? When did this happen? A nuclear-free Iran is always a good thing. But please don’t try to tell us you thought of this little theory all on your own. I have heard this nonsense from more journalists than you can shake a stick at. It has been popular theory since before the invasion.

Before the crusades, Christians could come and go in relative peace to Jerusalem to make pilgrimages. Yes, they were subject to banditry, but so were Muslim pilgrims.

No, that is not true. You’re simply regurgitating the usual polemic. Muslims were not submitted to banditry like the Christians. Muslims were the privileged and Jews/Christians were second class citizens whose rights always hung in the balance and were dependant on their willingness to suffer institutionalized humiliation that is sanctioned in the Quran.

Yes, Christian residents were discriminated against in Palestine in terms of taxation, and had difficulty building churches as freely as desired, and saw their sacred places appropriated, but they could still come and go.

Wow, you almost made that sound as pleasant and lovely as Dan Peterson once tried to do.

Finally, nobody cares less about the Palestinians than Muslims in the Middle-East. Palestinians were rejected citizenship in every country except Jordan. The Palestinian situation has been used as a political tool to award Arab nations billions upon billions in bribes. When Saudi Arabia had a labor shortage in the late 70’s, they refused to use the struggling Palestinians, and instead imported workers from Asia. They care no more about the Palestinians than they care about the Muslims who suffered during the various genocides in Mogadishu, Sudan and Rwanda. Far more Muslims have been killed in Africa by governments far more ruthless than ours, but crying about those grievances doesn’t win them bribe money. So the Palestinians will continue to win the spotlight on magazine covers while producing ignorant political extremists like the author of this thread.

The biggest mystery is how you think any of this tripe is a “defense of Islam”? As if sympathy for the Palestinian plight, and the defense of Islam go hand in hand. Islam is by definition the most intolerant religion the world has known. This is established fact that I can and have demonstrated. It isn't about what muslims have done by contrast with what Christians have done (although Christians come out on top in that comparision too). It is about what Islamic law entails. It is about what the Quran entails and how the legal schools of Islam interpret and have practiced it in history. Trying to highlight the few instances when Christianity engaged in defensive wars as a means to say “Look, all religions can be bad sometimes,” amounts to religious relativism.

By the way, I would have more sympathy for the Palestinians if they were killing themselves instead of killing their own children by using them to kill other Israeli children. Their admitted goal to destroy Israel doesn’t invoke much sympathy either. They do not want to live in harmony with Israel, and they never did. All they are doing is proving Israel is right to reject their citizenship. If Israel truly just went about expelling Arabs indiscriminately, then how do you explain the fact that nearly 200,000 Arabs were not expelled from Israel and that is why Muslims represent a significant portion of the population today?
Last edited by Guest on Tue May 29, 2007 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
“All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it...Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality." - Albert Einstein
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

There's enough blame for both sides. I know a man who conducted tours in Israel before the current conflict. He always asked every Islamic and Jewish religious leader what they would do to amicably settle the conflict if they had carte blache to do whatever they wanted. Most said they had no solution. Only one gave one:

"There will be no resolution until both sides turn to their God and remember that Ishmael and Isaac amicably met to bury their father together."
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_dartagnan
_Emeritus

Post by _dartagnan »

Contrary to popular myth, Muhammed never believed the Jews worshipped the same God as the Muslims. Once when Muhammed thought his little army was about to be destroyed, he cried out to God and said that if he let all the Muslims die, that he would be worshipped no more. This means the Jews and Christians didn't really worship God in Muhammed's view.

Much is made of the "people of the book" phrase as if that is some sign or respect towards Jews and Christians. What people like rcrocket don't tell you is how the Quran mandated Muslims to fight against all infidels, "even the people of the book."