A good quote from the Ensign. Really!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

A good quote from the Ensign. Really!

Post by _Who Knows »

My wife read this quote to me, and I actually think it's quite good. I'm going off memory here, so hopefully I don't botch it:

Don't let something you don't know, shake your faith in what you do know.

I guess my wife didn't see the irony when she read it to me.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share, because I actually think it's pretty good advice.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

If I have knowledge, I don't need faith. Therefore nothing can shake the faith of what I know simply because I have no faith when I have knowledge. I could swear that I learned this in Alma 32 and also in Ether about Brother of Jared having "faith no longer" (Ether 3:19).

That's the problem with faith and knowledge as used in the church. The terms are imprecise and thus often used in equivocation.

I will certainly allow revising my opinion on what I think I know. If I did not, how could I have ever come to a knowledge of the true church if I were born into a circumstance where I thought I knew that the Book of Mormon or even Christianity as a whole was not true. I've never regretted reading proofs and changing my mind in mathematics, so why should I use a different approach for religion?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Lucretia MacEvil
_Emeritus

Re: A good quote from the Ensign. Really!

Post by _Lucretia MacEvil »

Who Knows wrote:Don't let something you don't know, shake your faith in what you do know.

Enlightenment is knowing that we don't know.