God in school: Mine Okay, yours not okay

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

God in school: Mine Okay, yours not okay

Post by _Dr. Shades »

I read the most mind-numbingly outrageous self-contradictory comment in a news article just now.

To summarize, a woman's fight to keep Harry Potter books out of her school library just ended in defeat, but she's considering taking it up the legal chain. You can read the story here.

Check out her rationale:

At Tuesday's hearing, Mallory argued in part that witchcraft is a religion practiced by some people and, therefore, the books should be banned because reading them in school violates the constitutional separation of church and state.

"I have a dream that God will be welcomed back in our schools again," Mallory said. "I think we need him."

So, what on earth is this scatterbrain's real opinion, anyway? Should the separation between church & state be upheld, or should God be welcomed back into schools?

For the sake of the argument, let's say she's right and that A) witchcraft is a religion, and B) Harry Potter promotes witchcraft. In that case, shouldn't she be glad that witchcraft-related books are on the shelves, since this means that God has, indeed, been welcomed back into our schools?

HOW ON EARTH are some people so utterly blind to their self-contradictory opinions?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

lol. I just got done reading that same article not 5 minutes ago. I thought the exact same thing.

I wonder if she would welcome the Book of Mormon in schools?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Who Knows wrote:lol. I just got done reading that same article not 5 minutes ago. I thought the exact same thing.

I wonder if she would welcome the Book of Mormon in schools?

The other day, my coworker and I were discussing reading with our children. When I mentioned that the Harry Potter books had been a huge hit with my family, he looked as though I had just admitted to killing cats as a Satanic sacrifice. "Oh, we don't allow that kind of material in our home," he said.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Re: God in school: Mine Okay, yours not okay

Post by _asbestosman »

Dr. Shades wrote:So, what on earth is this scatterbrain's real opinion, anyway? Should the separation between church & state be upheld, or should God be welcomed back into schools?

For the sake of the argument, let's say she's right and that A) witchcraft is a religion, and B) Harry Potter promotes witchcraft. In that case, shouldn't she be glad that witchcraft-related books are on the shelves, since this means that God has, indeed, been welcomed back into our schools?

HOW ON EARTH are some people so utterly blind to their self-contradictory opinions?

Maybe she expects to force a change one way or the other instead of initially going for both. In other words, if the government keeps prayer out because of separation, then she will request that they remove witchcraft too. If the government allows witchcraft, then she demands prayer. Either way would at least be a partial victory for her. After that, perhaps she could make a move to get more in her favor too.
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Special people abound.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Mr. Coffee
_Emeritus

Post by _Mr. Coffee »

Dr. Shades wrote:So, what on earth is this scatterbrain's real opinion, anyway?

Typical addle-brained christian fundimentalist with a persecution complex and no education. I mean, for f**k's sake, she thinks a FICTION novel is a religious text. By her idiot definition, then any book that mentions witchcraft or magic at all should be banned from schools. Good bye "The Hobit/Lord of the Rings", good bye "Wizard of Oz", good bye "Beowulf"... Basicly kiss all fantasy liturature good bye.

If this was something along the lines of having actual Wiccan texts, this dingbat might have legs to stand on.

This woman is an idiot and in a just society people like her would be forbidden from breeding.

Dr. Shades wrote:Should the separation between church & state be upheld, or should God be welcomed back into schools?

In the context of publicly-funded schools, yes. In the context that a school mandated "prayer time" should not be allowed in a publically funded school, yes. Both of those are an establishment of religion by a government entity, which is expressly forbidden by the exclusion clause of the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution.

In the context of this idiot woman's ranting? No. A school library is a place to store books, fiction or non-fiction, and is there so that children can go and get a book, read it, and maybe, just maybe, LEARN SOMETHING. I'll also bet money that if the Bible (another work of fiction) was in her library, this retard wouldn't say a word.
On Mathematics: I divided by zero! Oh SHI....
_asbestosman
_Emeritus

Post by _asbestosman »

Mr. Coffee wrote:By her idiot definition, then any book that mentions witchcraft or magic at all should be banned from schools. Good bye "The Hobit/Lord of the Rings", good bye "Wizard of Oz", good bye "Beowulf"... Basicly kiss all fantasy liturature good bye.

Would we also have to remove The Crucible? Macbeth? How about the Bible itself since it too mentions witchcraft? What about the good ol' Narnia books?
That's General Leo. He could be my friend if he weren't my enemy.
eritis sicut dii
I support NCMO
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

I have just this to say briefly in response:

Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White
Little Mermaid
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp (talking dogs, obviously possessed)
101 Dalmations (same thing)
Bambi (same thing)
Pocohantas (talking trees, damn pagans!)
The Wizard of Oz
Frosty the Snowman (tv version)
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (animal with magical powers)
The Night Before Christmas (animal/fat man with magical powers)
The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown (vegetable with suspected powers)
Spiderman (man with supernatural powers)
Superman (same thing)
Batman (same thing)

Well, you get the idea...

Jersey Girl
Last edited by Google Feedfetcher on Tue May 29, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Oh and could someone please send the Tooth Fairy her pink slip? Thanks so ever much.

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Ha ha. That's priceless.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."