Porter Rockwell: heroic saint or destroying angel?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:Whoa. I'm really bad at envisioning people. I thought Mr. Coffee would be old and haggard looking. Quite possibly with a mullet. Woops.

Only on days that I wake up with a massive hangover... And that only lasts untill after morning PT and a mug of coffee.

Also, Mullets are right out. Besides looking completely stupid they're also unsat according to the regs (yeah, I still maintain USMC standards for personal grooming. I haven't worn a beard since I was in high school...).

Okay, I get it now. Military guy. Sorry. :)

I was a military brat, should have picked up on it sooner. Need some coffee myself.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Re: Man of God / Son of Thunder

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Blixa wrote:[...]
Doesn't Schlinder also feel the Bogg's assasination attempt is inconclusive?
[...]

Given recent evidence showing that I have a propensity for incorrect recollection, take this for what it's worth:

Yes (as far as I remember).

I've been re-reading this book. Schindler does indeed conclude that the evidence is inconclusive. There are a few key things he notes.

1) Alludes to evidence that Rockwell was in Nauvoo the day after the attempt (300 miles).

2) Rockwell never lied (one of his few good qualities).

3) (Refer to #2) Rockwell never denied shooting Boggs. He only denied that Joseph had ordered (and/or asked) him to do such.

When I'm done with this book, I'll probably re-read Dewey's and try to report back on what Dewey's evidence was.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Thanks for the update, Steuss!
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Thanks for the update, Steuss!

You're welcome. I just noticed something about my previous post though. In it I said:

"...conclude that the evidence is inconclusive."

So, I guess that would make it an inconclusive conclusion. Or would it be concluding that conclusions will be inconclusively concluded?

The mind boggles (see what happens when you become anti-pharmaceutical and brave the voices unaided).
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

A few more thoughts on this.

As I’ve continued reading, I’m beginning to wonder if perhaps Rockwell isn’t an example of implications of violent sociological development.

To be witness to and a victim of such violence and events that permeated the Big Blue could not be healthy for a young and impressionable teenage mind. Maybe he was just as much a victim as criminal.