John Dehlin spanks Mitt on Good Morning America!

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Cogg - do you object to Jason going to church because he enjoys it - not necessarily because he believes it?

I made no statement that I objected to Jason going to Church. Where did I imply that? My point is philosophical; I don't think you can separate our plural marriage from the rest of the Gospel. But this is pedestrian, and holds for any fundamental Gospel concept. You couldn't have taken the animal sacrifice out of the Mosaic Gospel and just eaten the shew bread. You accept all of what the Lord reveals, at a given time or place, or you treat it as a cafeteria. The cafeteria is partly your Gospel, and partly the Lord's.

That's how the Great Apostasy began and was maintained until the entire system had been lost. I'm not saying Jason is following such a course, but that is the manner in which it occurred; substituting other concepts for aspects of early Christianity certain people found to have been "a mistake". Certainly, many felt that Peter, James, John, or Paul were acting as prophets when they said such and such, but not when they said this, that, or the other. Macaroni and cheese here, and a little salad on the side there.

And the Church simply fell to pieces when this reached critical mass.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Cogg - do you object to Jason going to church because he enjoys it - not necessarily because he believes it?

I made no statement that I objected to Jason going to Church. Where did I imply that? My point is philosophical; I don't think you can separate our plural marriage from the rest of the Gospel. But this is pedestrian, and holds for any fundamental Gospel concept. You couldn't have taken the animal sacrifice out of the Mosaic Gospel and just eaten the shew bread either. You accept all of what the Lord reveals, at a given time or place, or you treat it as a cafeteria. The cafeteria is partly your Gospel, and partly the Lord's.

That's how the Great Apostasy began and was maintained until the entire system had been lost. I'm not saying Jason is following such a course, but that is the manner in which it occurred; substituting other concepts for aspects of early Christianity certain people found to have been "a mistake". Certainly, many felt that Peter, James, John, or Paul were acting as prophets when they said such and such, but not when they said this, that, or the other. Macaroni and cheese here, and a little salad on the side there.

And the Church simply fell to pieces when this reached critical mass.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Coggins7 wrote:

I made no statement that I objected to Jason going to Church. Where did I imply that?

I didn't. I was just asking you a simple question.

Jeez, why is everyone on edge today? It's friday!
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

This is an "are you still beating your wife" kind of question, which implies what it asks, which is why I responded as I did.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Sweet! I got the sheep dog to bite one of the stray sheep!
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Coggins7 wrote:This is an "are you still beating your wife" kind of question, which implies what it asks, which is why I responded as I did.

Dude, you're paranoid. You're reading way too much into things.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

WK, I responded to your question, which assumed I had said, or implied something about Jason. Who's paranoid here?

- Thomas S. Monson
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Coggins7 wrote:WK, I responded to your question, which assumed I had said, or implied something about Jason. Who's paranoid here?

zomg!!111

Ok. If you wanted to ask me if i had a problem with jason going to church because he enjoys it - not necessarily because he believes it - how would you have asked?

I'm curious man.

Let me try another way.

[serious mode]Mr. Coggins - how do you feel about people going to church simply because they enjoy it? Do you think people should only go to church if they believe the doctrine? Do you feel like it's ok for people to go to church for purely social reasons?[/serious mode]

How was that? ...i tried my best - i never took a 'asking questions the proper way' course in college or anything.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Mr. Coggins - how do you feel about people going to church simply because they enjoy it? Do you think people should only go to church if they believe the doctrine? Do you feel like it's ok for people to go to church for purely social reasons?[/serious mode]

How was that? ...I tried my best - I never took a 'asking questions the proper way' course in college or anything.

I think its perfectly acceptable for people to go to Church for any and all of those reasons, as, in some manner or form, they may be led to become better people and better citizens than not. There are far worse (or far more trivial) places to be than at Church. In the case of the Restored Gospel, the more time one spends within it, the better. It cannot hurt regardless of the presenting motivations.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

New Jerusalem in America = Seat of Government

Old Jerusalem in Middle East= Seat of Religion

Isaiah 2:3

"..for out of Zion (New Jerusalem)shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem."
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato