Meaning and Existence

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Meaning and Existence

Post by _Coggins7 »

From an LDS perspective (and my own, grounded in this paragdim), let's begin with this.

Basic Propositions:

1. Meaning can have two senses which should not be equivocated:

a. Subjective, idiosyncratic meanings we create and ascribe to existence and phenomena within the phenomenal world.

b. Intrinsic, inherent meaning that exists as a function of the purpose for which the phenomenal world was created

From this it follows that:

1. If the universe itself has purpose, than all systems and subsystems within it have meaning.

2. All conscious beings are a part of the universe.

3. If any conscious being possesses the property of self awareness, or of being aware of its own awareness, this being is inherently capable of reflection upon the intrinsic meaning or purpose of that self awareness.

4. If the universe is the result of purely, random, blind, chance reactions between matter and energy, then the universe is meaningless.

5. If this is true, then all entities, including all sentient as well as all intelligent beings who have the property of being aware of their self awareness, are also meaningless.

Let us develop a few more further propositions just for the road:

Meaning has no necessary connection to function unless function is connected to purpose (teleology). The entire range of geological and climatological dynamics of the earth have function, but no meaning, as they have, in a materialist conception, no purpose. They simply exist, given the laws of nature as genereated immediately after the Big Bang).

If the universe and all phenomena within it have no purpose (being great cosmic accidents of nature), and hence, no meaning, then human existence has no meaning, irregardless of whether intelligent self aware beings are capable of thinking and reflecting upon such questions.

Strictly subjective meanings created by humans and ascribed to their surroundings or lives are not, in a strict sense, meaning, because mind, being nothing more than a function of, or epiphenomena of, the brain, itself, has no meaning. Its function is to carry on the DNA of the organism in a struggle for survival, not to reflect upon philosophical and religious questions. Such reflection is itself a natural consequence of the size and complexity of our CNS, and has no intrinsic meaning outside of the degree to which it helps insure the passing on of DNA to future members of the species.

Let's take it from here.
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_grayskull
_Emeritus

Post by _grayskull »

Coggins,

If God created you to burn in hell for ever and ever as one of his non-elect, would you life have more meaning, or less meaning, then it would in Dawkins world? And which kind of meaning then, is more, er, "meaningful"?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

If God created you to burn in hell for ever and ever as one of his non-elect, would you life have more meaning, or less meaning, then it would in Dawkins world? And which kind of meaning then, is more, er, "meaningful"?

In such a Calvinistic view, it would probably be an even tie, as both worlds deny the possibility of free will in any substantive way (and the Calvinistic world involves God as an arbitrary denier of such free will).

Fortunately, LDS theology presents no such problems.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Strictly subjective meanings created by humans and ascribed to their surroundings or lives are not, in a strict sense, meaning, because mind, being nothing more than a function of, or epiphenomena of, the brain, itself, has no meaning. Its function is to carry on the DNA of the organism in a struggle for survival, not to reflect upon philosophical and religious questions. Such reflection is itself a natural consequence of the size and complexity of our CNS, and has no intrinsic meaning outside of the degree to which it helps insure the passing on of DNA to future members of the species.

If the purpose of the universe is to perpetuate species, then the universe does have meaning.

To quote someone I know, "If the universe itself has purpose, than all systems and subsystems within it have meaning."

I think where you're confused is that you don't value that kind of meaning, so you believe it does not exist.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Tal Bachman
_Emeritus

Post by _Tal Bachman »

Coggins7

May I suggest for your consideration that your thinking, though it seems perfectly sound to you, has been distorted in some important ways?

Your position, as I see it, boils down to this:

If Mormonism is false, nothing has meaning.

Is that not something of a psychologyical warning flag for you?
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

Tal Bachman wrote:Coggins7

May I suggest for your consideration that your thinking, though it seems perfectly sound to you, has been distorted in some important ways?

Your position, as I see it, boils down to this:

If Mormonism is false, nothing has meaning.

Is that not something of a psychologyical warning flag for you?

Listen kid, why don't you, in a calm and rational manner, analyze the propositions above and then delineate, in a reasoned, lucid, and philosophically serious manner, what it is about any of them you disagree with?

- Thomas S. Monson
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Coggins7 wrote:
Listen kid, why don't you, in a calm and rational manner, analyze the propositions above and then delineate, in a reasoned, lucid, and philosophically serious manner, what it is about any of them you disagree with?

Until you can answer Dude's question about how Dawkins' premises are contradictory, you can lay no claim whatsoever to intellectual seriousness. Step up to the plate and show us that you can process Beckwith's rather simple syllogism and explain why it's valid. If you can't do that, we have no reason to ever take you seriously.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

One more time Scratch...uh...I mean Runtu, I answered it multiple times, in different ways, on the original Beckwith thread.

Stop stalling and enter the arena of ideas...

- Thomas S. Monson
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Coggins7 wrote:One more time Scratch...uh...I mean Runtu, I answered it multiple times, in different ways, on the original Beckwith thread.

Stop stalling and enter the arena of ideas...

No, you haven't answered my question. Give me the syllogism, and then we can enter the arena of ideas.
Runtu's Rincón

_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

You're stalling Runtu. You give me the syllogism, as I've given you reams of critical argument, and let's see if it holds water.

- Thomas S. Monson