Questions for Loran and other TBM's who'd like to join in

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Here it is, Loran:

Article of Faith 6

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Loran, how can it be the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church when the offices are not in keeping with the Biblical specifications given in the New Testament?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Coggins7
_Emeritus

Post by _Coggins7 »

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

Loran, how can it be the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church when the offices are not in keeping with the Biblical specifications given in the New Testament?

You forgot only one thing:

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

I hate to say "do your homework" here, because it sounds confrontational, but that's what is called for. The "Restoration" of the Gospel did, indeed, restore much that was lost from the primitive church, but nowhere in church teaching is it claimed that this involved in some way the direct transplantation of all organizational forms and practices from the primitive New Testament Christian church to modern times. "The Restoration" is a "progressive", line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little (core D&C doctrine) restoration of all the doctrines, teachings, practices, ordinances, and keys held in ancient times during any and all other past dispensations. Implicit in this is the idea the this is, and always was, the Lord's church, and he can alter or amend things any way he chooses based upon the needs of his people in any given age or era.

As I said before, Christ did away with the entire ritual life of Israel, saying that the "schoolmaster" to bring them to Christ was fulfilled in him. Surely he could alter the age at which a man becomes a Deacon?
The face of sin today often wears the mask of tolerance.

- Thomas S. Monson
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Through the miracle of technology (me messing with the screen resolution) I can now read a whole post without zigging and zagging so look out!

Coggins7 wrote:

You forgot only one thing:

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

I hate to say "do your homework" here, because it sounds confrontational, but that's what is called for. The "Restoration" of the Gospel did, indeed, restore much that was lost from the primitive church, but nowhere in church teaching is it claimed that this involved in some way the direct transplantation of all organizational forms and practices from the primitive New Testament Christian church to modern times. "The Restoration" is a "progressive", line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little, there a little (core D&C doctrine) restoration of all the doctrines, teachings, practices, ordinances, and keys held in ancient times during any and all other past dispensations. Implicit in this is the idea the this is, and always was, the Lord's church, and he can alter or amend things any way he chooses based upon the needs of his people in any given age or era.

As I said before, Christ did away with the entire ritual life of Israel, saying that the "schoolmaster" to bring them to Christ was fulfilled in him. Surely he could alter the age at which a man becomes a Deacon?

Loran,

It doesn't matter to me if you sound confrontational. The second quote that you used (I forget which AoF that is) refers to revelation in terms of the Kingdom of God

1. Are you equating the Kingdom of God with the organizational structure of the church? 2. Do you believe that the church is the Kingdom of God?
3. If Christ, as you say, did away with ritual life in Israel, why did the LDS Church bring it back?

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Coggins,

Don't forget about the post at the top of this page.

-CK