LDS and stay at home moms?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Thanks, Gaz.

You wrote:

The optimal condition now is for another family member, be it an aunt, cousin, or grandparent to become the nurturer.

How could Mom prevent abuse or neglect on the part of family members?
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gaz
In any event, it would be best to find a new Father.

What if the bio Dad is still living?
Chinese Proverb
_skippy the dead
_Emeritus

Post by _skippy the dead »

Gazelam wrote:
barrelomonkeys wrote:
Gaz, what about women that are divorced? You think they shouldn't work either?

If there is no man in the home to provide for the family, then the woman is forced to work. Divirced women shoudl find a husband so they can stay at home and nurture their children.

The sad thing is that I was going say the same kind of thing in a smart-ass kind of way.
I may be going to hell in a bucket, babe / But at least I'm enjoying the ride.
-Grateful Dead (lyrics by John Perry Barlow)
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Jersey

Post by _Gazelam »

How could Mom prevent abuse or neglect on the part of family members?

The idea is that because they are family that this would be less likely.

The goal is to have a stable two parent home. That means getting a new Dad, since Dad number one isnt around.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Jersey Girl

Gaz
The goal is to have a stable two parent home. That means getting a new Dad, since Dad number one isn't around.

Let's try this scenario. Mom and Dad are divorced and live in the same town. Would your advice be the same?

"Get a new Dad"?
Chinese Proverb
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Okay, I'm not getting this, Gaz. You're saying the mother has the primary responsibility for rearing the child, as if that's a given. Outside of an antiquated dominant male perspective, why do you say that? Parenting is a two-person thing. There is no reason why a stay at home dad is not as optimal as a stay at home mom. The assertion that women are more nurturing than men has not been established, yet you act as if it's cast in stone.

Are women more nurturing, or are they more nurturing because historically they haven't had any choice?

I'm not disagreeing that someone needs to stay at home with the children when they are under 5 years old. I'm just not sure that it's a given that that person should be the mother.
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

harmony wrote:Okay, I'm not getting this, Gaz. You're saying the mother has the primary responsibility for rearing the child, as if that's a given. Outside of an antiquated dominant male perspective, why do you say that? Parenting is a two-person thing. There is no reason why a stay at home dad is not as optimal as a stay at home mom. The assertion that women are more nurturing than men has not been established, yet you act as if it's cast in stone.

Are women more nurturing, or are they more nurturing because historically they haven't had any choice?

I'm not disagreeing that someone needs to stay at home with the children when they are under 5 years old. I'm just not sure that it's a given that that person should be the mother.

I think women, generally speaking, are more nurturing than men, however I've definitely seen and worked with Dad's who are awesome nurturers and far more in tune with their children's emotional needs and more patiently able to meet them than Mom.
Chinese Proverb
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Let's try this scenario. Mom and Dad are divorced and live in the same town. Would your advice be the same?

"Get a new Dad"?

The optimal enviorment is a two parent home. The best situation in the case you state is for both parents to remarry.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:

"Get a new Dad"?

The optimal enviorment is a two parent home. The best situation in the case you state is for both parents to remarry.
Yeah, they end up not getting a silly "temple divorce" and hubby remarries in the temple. POLYGAMIST!

He will have his ex and current wife, which the ex HATES in heaven. Wait, that would be HELL, no?
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gazelam wrote:

"Get a new Dad"?

So Gaz, what you're suggesting is that the best situation in the case of divorced parents is for the child to have 4 parents?
Chinese Proverb