Mormonism is Black and White, All or Nothing

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Mormonism is Black and White, All or Nothing

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Mormonism breeds black and white thinkers because it is indeed an all or nothing religion. Either it's true or it's a fraud. I grew up believing it was true. That prophets didn't lie and were above reproach. That they talked to God. But I was wrong.

When I first encountered Mormon apologetics, I was floored by the wide margin of grey afforded to Joseph Smith. The more I read, the more I realized that as a pew-sitting member, I was afforded less leeway than the prophets! I was, in fact, held to a higher standard than Joseph Smith or even President Hinckley. It was alright for them to lie a little. Vacillate. But it wasn't alright for me to do those things. Well trained black and white thinkers cannot abide such hypocrisy. It didn't take long for me to decide the Mormon church was not true.

This is a little essay about the all or nothingness of Mormonism which I've posted before on other forums:

I've been accused by my former Bishop and a couple of LDS apologists of being a "black and white" thinker. Some of my extended Mormon family feels the same way. In fact, they felt that way about me when I was a Mormon.

Much of my extended family are inactive LDS, or less than active. As a gung-ho fully believing Mormon, I viewed them with near derision for being too weak to live the Gospel. They had a "take the good, and leave bad" attitude about the church that they still maintain to this day. Although I no longer view them with near derision, I still am unable to comprehend their allegiance to the Mormon church, and their delusion that they can pick and choose what to believe when it comes to doctrine.

According to Mormonism, their prophet is as infallible as Vatican II claims the Pope to be - that means, when declaring doctrine, managing the affairs of the church, and knowing the way of salvation, HE CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE! God will not allow it! Therefore, a Mormon can do nothing but accept declared doctrine and the way the Prophet runs the church unquestioningly and obey accordingly.

Either Gordon B. Hinckley and every previous prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are one hundred per cent correct concerning church affairs and doctrine, or they are false prophets. There is no other option. And unless the current prophet declares a past prophet's doctrine incorrect, or gets "new" revelation because God changed his mind yet again, then all he said STILL STANDS and that cannot be ignored.

So, deciding to accept the Word of Wisdom because it's "good" and disregard polygamy because it's "bad" isn't doctrinally an option. Anyone who thinks they can do that is utterly deluded. Remaining a member while believing women should hold the Priesthood makes no sense whatsoever. Either God, the creator of the universe, runs his one and only true religion on the face of the planet PERFECTLY through the prophets of the Mormon church, or he doesn't. And if you don't believe God does that, then you shouldn't be a Mormon.

When I was a member, not accepting church doctrine or the council of the Prophet was unfathomable. If I didn't understand something I "put it on the shelf" because to decide I didn't believe it meant the end of my faith. Yes, I may have been a black and white thinker, and may still be in many ways, but I've searched this over and over in my mind, and I cannot comprehend any other option - believe all of Mormonism or believe none of it. As far as I can tell, there is no getting around the fact that belonging to the "One True Church" is an all or nothing proposition.

If anyone wants to keep the good and leave the bad, that's possible in one way - retain the goodness, charity, purposefulness, or other praiseworthy attributes you believe you found in Mormonism and leave the church behind. It's bad. No good it does isn't done better by hundreds of other organizations across the world. Join one of them, keep the good that's in you and drop the cult like the dead weight it is. It's not always easy, but it is worth it.

Kimberly Ann
_why me
_Emeritus

Re: Mormonism is Black and White, All or Nothing

Post by _why me »

Interesting post kimberlyann but I am afraid that your post is just a little flawed. You see, church members can be black and white but so can exmos, postmos and nevermos. We human beings are conditioned to be black and white and I believe that there is nothing wrong with that. You believe the church to be false. Hence, you are black and white. You live under your own black and white assumptions. You leave no leeway that the church may be true. To find middle ground in religion is difficult and usually those faiths that do leave a lot of grey, seem to fall by the wayside. Just look at the liberal churches that grace our religious landscape.

Prophets do lie. People are not perfect. Peter also lied about knowing Christ. Human beings have flaws. This is just the way it is. To claim that leaders of the church do not lie would be an injustice against god. Now concerning church affairs and doctrine. Doctrine does change according to the times in which we live. However, I don't believe that god would lead his people astray. The lds church has been rather successful because it does follow a dogma that claims its adherence from god. The purpose of having a prophet is to guide the church according to the wishes of god. Hence, a prophet cannot make a mistake if they are listening to the words of god. And even today, one does have the opportunity not to agree with the prophet. There is nothing that prevents a member from doing so. The person just needs to make his or her case as to why he or she does not agree with the prophet.

And what proof is there that the lds church is a cult? I see no cult like attributes. Black and white people such as yourself can often claim that the lds church is a cult. I know that it allows the release of frustration that you may have about the church but still such an accusation can still be false. Please show me were in your post that you are not black and white.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Can you imagine having to live with never being allowed to be wrong? Not once. Not ever. And that if you're wrong, millions of people are going to be destroyed or live forever with less than they might have had, and it will be your fault?

Talk about pressure!

It's a good thing the LDS church doesn't believe in prophet infallibility.
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

why me wrote: Please show me were in your post that you are not black and white.

I can show you where in my post that I admit to being a black and white thinker in many ways. Here it is:

Yes, I may have been a black and white thinker, and may still be in many ways, but I've searched this over and over in my mind, and I cannot comprehend any other option - believe all of Mormonism or believe none of it. As far as I can tell, there is no getting around the fact that belonging to the "One True Church" is an all or nothing proposition.

Why me, I'm saying that the Mormon church is a black and white religion which breeds black and white thinkers. My black and white thinking was applauded as long as I believed the Mormon church to be true. The minute I questioned and applied that black and white thinking to the founders and prophets of Mormonism, it was suddenly a horrible thing to be a black and white thinker. That was suddenly my "problem", whereas it wasn't a problem before, as long as I was a black and white Mormon thinker.

KA
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

harmony wrote:Can you imagine having to live with never being allowed to be wrong? Not once. Not ever. And that if you're wrong, millions of people are going to be destroyed or live forever with less than they might have had, and it will be your fault?

Talk about pressure!

It's a good thing the LDS church doesn't believe in prophet infallibility.

What is amazing about living in exmoland is that understanding that all church leaders are perfect. I don't understand where that idea comes from. Only christ was perfect the rest of us humans have imperfection in our blood. It is through imperfections that we humans can grow and develop. The problem comes when we do not recognize our imperfections. At times we all need to examine our conscience to see our own imperfections.

Kimberlyann's post was just a little black and white for my taste but I have to admire her spunk. This is why we need to have black and white people to make life interesting. But we should also recognize the need for grey at times.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

KimberlyAnn wrote:
why me wrote: Please show me were in your post that you are not black and white.

I can show you where in my post that I admit to being a black and white thinker in many ways. Here it is:

Yes, I may have been a black and white thinker, and may still be in many ways, but I've searched this over and over in my mind, and I cannot comprehend any other option - believe all of Mormonism or believe none of it. As far as I can tell, there is no getting around the fact that belonging to the "One True Church" is an all or nothing proposition.

Why me, I'm saying that the Mormon church is a black and white religion which breeds black and white thinkers. My black and white thinking was applauded as long as I believed the Mormon church to be true. The minute I questioned and applied that black and white thinking to the founders and prophets of Mormonism, it was suddenly a horrible thing to be a black and white thinker. That was suddenly my "problem", whereas it wasn't a problem before, as long as I was a black and white Mormon thinker.

KA

Of course any religion that is worth its salt will breed black and white thinkers. Show me in the Bible just where god was not a black and white thinker.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

As a former Chapel Mormon, I was a black and white thinker. Most LDS are. It's a natural consequence of belonging to the "true" church. Once I had allowed myself to see the grey areas, I was led out of the church. (I don't know if Mormonism is a complete fraud, but I do know that it's not all that it claims to be)

One of the most frustrating parts of going through this experience has been discussing doctrine and the role of Prophets with other TBMs, and apologists. I really don't understand how a TBM can believe Hinkley receives any type of revelation from God, but then throw out all the previous teachings of Prophets on doctrine. How they get spiritually pumped up about anything the leaders say or do with that conflicting belief is beyond me.

As an internet Mormon, I learned that the official definition of LDS doctrine is only that which is in the scriptures/canon. So what then would be the point of having Modern day Prophets? The reason we have so many religions today is because of the many different ways the scriptures can be interpreted. Scriptures are very vague and you can pretty much make up whatever you want them to mean. As a chapel Mormon, I believed one of the main roles of modern day Prophets was to clarify, teach and reveal what the doctrine is from the scriptures. (yes, they have other roles too) Turns out that their teachings and inspiration of the doctrines were only opinion. LDS are able to change ordinances of the highest order in the name of "continuing revelation" yet they will slam the Catholic church for changing the ordinance of baptism.

I can understand why LDS pick and choose what feels comfortable for their beliefs and shelf the "opinions", but I don't get why they would still believe that the current leaders speak for God.
Last edited by Shadrak on Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

why me wrote:What is amazing about living in exmoland is that understanding that all church leaders are perfect. I don't understand where that idea comes from.

Are you serious? Did you grow up in the church? Are you familiar with the primary song "follow the prophet" or sayings like "the prophet will never lead us astray" or "when the prophet speaks, the thinking has been done" etc. etc.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_A Light in the Darkness
_Emeritus

Post by _A Light in the Darkness »

I don't see what is wrong with thinking one should strive to what is right everytime all the time while also acknowledging that all of us, no matter how we serve God, will on occasion fail to meet this goal.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Kind of a groovy thread that takes a look at whether or not "Exmos" are black and white thinkers:

http://www.mormonapologetics.org/index.php?showtopic=24986
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski