Mormonism is Black and White, All or Nothing

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Ah...I had forgotten. I was thinking of Hinkley-as-prophet in my post...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

Blixa wrote:Ah...I had forgotten. I was thinking of Hinkley-as-prophet in my post...

Lol.... I guess it's a good thing you didn't submit your remarks to a sustaining vote for the whole board, eh, Blixa? ; )
_Inconceivable
_Emeritus

Post by _Inconceivable »

why me wrote:Joseph Smith would not have failed the interview, if you are referring to polygamy.

He was a man and a human being. I don't know maybe at times he would have failed the interview, so what? If a person repents of his sins, that person can certainly be forgiven. What is your point? As I understand it, Joseph Smith was a pretty good human being. Yes, he had his enemies. Such is the life of many past prophets.

This discussion is important to you. Here, you can have all of Joseph Smith. Be warmed and filled.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Scratch: "Lol.... I guess it's a good thing you didn't submit your remarks to a sustaining vote for the whole board, eh, Blixa? ; )"

True...Yes, Quinn's chapter is fascinating reading.

And for an earlier treatment of Mormon extensions of power, may I recommend, The Latter Day Saints: A Study of the Mormons in the Light of Economic Conditions, by Ruth and Reginald Wright Kauffman.

I should have included this on my list for the Steuss library, but I think I forgot. It's an early (1912) study (and it does favor the Rigdon/Spalding theory), but it has many interesting arguments: especially about
mormonism-as-corporation. Check out the chapter aptly titled, "Money Bags."
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:[...]I should have included this on my list for the Steuss library, but I think I forgot. It's an early (1912) study (and it does favor the Rigdon/Spalding theory), but it has many interesting arguments: especially about
mormonism-as-corporation. Check out the chapter aptly titled, "Money Bags."

Duly added. (It now holds the prestigious position of #164 on my ever-growing list).
Last edited by Reflexzero on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

While I've got your attention Steuss (and perhaps that of others interested in history), do you know abou The Historical New York Times database? The NYT has every issue ever published digitized---you can see articles as they originally appeared with adjacent advertising and all, or just view things separately. And you can download (usually everything, but more recent photography is sometimes copyright restricited).

Its an amazing resource. If you have access to a university library, they probably have it available for you, and many large public libraries subscribe as well.

Reading the original coverage of events--the reportage, the editorials--is fascinating.
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:While I've got your attention Steuss (and perhaps that of others interested in history), do you know abou The Historical New York Times database? [...]

I was unaware of it (which should come as no surprise, since I was using Guttenberg Project when Google Books was a viable alternative). It sounds groovy. I love perusing the old articles that Uncle Dale has archived/transposed on his site. Good stuff.

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there." -L.P. Hartley in The Go-Between
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

There is just much I disagree with, not suprising, about your stance. But I am too tired to debate tonight. I do not think it is as black and white as you make it out to be, but I used to think that way.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Blixa wrote:
why me wrote:Not true at all. I see no counsel as to how to vote in local and national elections.
More recently, especially in California, but also in other states as well, the church has been organizing against state-sponsored amendments to change marriage laws.
I was a member at that time.

During a joint EQ/RS meeting, the bishoprick gave each member a pile of pamphlets and signs to stick in yards.

They told us that we needed to socially ostracize ourselves from our own neighbors by going door to door in our respective neighborhoods, knocking on every door and telling them WHY we opposed gay marriage, give them a pamphlet and ask them to sign a petition and if we could put a sign in their lawn.

Not that we had any gay couples, but ya never know.. we did have a number of unwed couples, some with kids.. and I knew where such a conversation would go..

I said F that! and threw everything in the trash on the way out of the chapel.

Another time there was a Mormon running for school board and the EQ gave two signs promoting this fellow to each of us and told us it would be good to have someone with the right values making decisions for the schools.

Again, I tossed it in the trash on the way out.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Polygamy Porter wrote:I said F that! and threw everything in the trash on the way out of the chapel. . . Again, I tossed it in the trash on the way out.

An early sign that you were an independent thinker.

I applaud you for immediately tossing that stuff out, since I strongly believe in the separation of church & state.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley