From the Paul O templeloveathon in the Celestial

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I wish the endowment ceremony was longer myself. The Temple is a school, and I'd love for more of it to be spelled out. Alot of whats in the Temple is symbolic, and you can spend your whole life tryign to take it all in.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

It's a matter of taste, but the interior of the temples is usual uninspiring to me.
I feel like I am in a hotel lobby and expecting to see the guys from Fantasy Island.

The forsest works better for me.

_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Mercury,

You're such a liar. You make statements simply to inflame others without just cause. You said in the celestial thread:

"I found no peace there"

Then in this thread you said:

"I think any place that is quiet and furnished is peaceful"

So, which is it? Anway, you're outnumbered, Mercury, people find the celestial room to be a place of peace, even you if you will just admit and come clean.

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

I wonder how many pills Paul pops before going to spiritual masturbation session at his local Mc'Temple?

You have no class. How on earth can your wife even stand you? Though she be a whore, you are much worse. You giggle over your silly statements which you know others find to be dirty, although funny from a certain perspective - ultimately no one respects you. You can't even respect yourself because you act outside the realms of decency . Respect belongs to those who work within the realms of decency. Is that something you might like to work on some day?

Paul O
_Paul Osborne

Post by _Paul Osborne »

Gazelam wrote:I wish the endowment ceremony was longer myself. The Temple is a school, and I'd love for more of it to be spelled out. Alot of whats in the Temple is symbolic, and you can spend your whole life tryign to take it all in.

I'm with you on this. The ritual performances of the temple are very spiritual in nature, sadly there are some who don't attain to a level where they can benefit from these blessings because they are worldly. These people would have felt the same way about Moses’ temple and any other sanctuary built unto Jehovah in days of old.

The endowment is all about Christ and our devotion to him. Those who don’t get that are spiritually stunted.

Paul O
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

Paul, I mentioned in the thread in Celestial that one of the only places (in a church setting) where I felt at peace and close to God was a bare bones country chapel. It is a very small country chapel with no ornamentation. The simplicity of the bare wood floors and pews were beautiful to me.

Don't you think that God can be found in many places?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Paul Osborne wrote:The endowment is all about Christ and our devotion to him.

Then why do we consecrate everything to the church, not Christ? Why does Christ need a mediator to stand between his siblings and himself?
_Analytics
_Emeritus

Post by _Analytics »

I’m sure many attest to the inner peace and beauty. I’m sure others have mixed feelings. I’m confident that there is a selection bias in what a Mormon would hear about it. The ones who really liked it are more likely to linger and comment. The ones who didn’t like it as much would politely leave without saying much.

I’d love it if every tourist was required to fill out a comment card that asked what they thought of the temple, with several responses on a scale from “divine” to “creepy”.
It’s relatively easy to agree that only Homo sapiens can speak about things that don’t really exist, and believe six impossible things before breakfast. You could never convince a monkey to give you a banana by promising him limitless bananas after death in monkey heaven.

-Yuval Noah Harari
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Paul Osborne wrote:So, which is it? Anway, you're outnumbered, Mercury, people find the celestial room to be a place of peace, even you if you will just admit and come clean.

Paul O

The temple is as peaceful as an office building. Its furnished, but in the same way a model home is furnished.

Why don't you go play with your macaroni necklace? It would be more constructive, as the adults are talking and you keep interupting us.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

Analytics wrote:I’m sure many attest to the inner peace and beauty. I’m sure others have mixed feelings. I’m confident that there is a selection bias in what a Mormon would hear about it. The ones who really liked it are more likely to linger and comment. The ones who didn’t like it as much would politely leave without saying much.

I’d love it if every tourist was required to fill out a comment card that asked what they thought of the temple, with several responses on a scale from “divine” to “creepy”.

I had gone with a group of non endowed LDS and non LDS to a temple open house once. Almost every person expressed disappointment at the interior. They had imagined something much more extravaggant and beautiful from the many years of building up this image in their mind of this place they were not allowed to enter. None of them said they felt it was creepy but they did ask many questions about the veil area they were not allowed into and wanted to know what goes on in the steeple. Some had felt like there were secrets being kept from them with the many ushers guiding them from room to room. A few had asked me questions about what rooms they weren't showing us so there was a universal feeling in the group that the tour was not an honest open house.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith