Comedian Julia Sweeney's take on the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Comedian Julia Sweeney's take on the Book of Mormon

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Skip to about 7:40.

A fine example of how non Mormons receive the story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtIyx687ytk
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

That was hilarious.

I do think she met the most messed up missionaries ever. Wow.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

The Nehor wrote:That was hilarious.

Really? Sounded like they were teaching it the way it is. Or did you mean they weren't very good at separating the milk from the meat?
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Some Schmo wrote:Or did you mean they weren't very good at separating the milk from the meat?

Yuck. I just got this mental image of sitting down to eat a bowl of meat cereal. Just pour some milk on your favorite meat flakes and enjoy. ;)
_Some Schmo
_Emeritus

Post by _Some Schmo »

silentkid wrote:
Some Schmo wrote:Or did you mean they weren't very good at separating the milk from the meat?

Yuck. I just got this mental image of sitting down to eat a bowl of meat cereal. Just pour some milk on your favorite meat flakes and enjoy. ;)

Sort of like that old joke about the definition of gross is eating a bowl of cornflakes only to realize it was your sister's scab collection?

(There's another Mormon metaphor...)
God belief is for people who don't want to live life on the universe's terms.
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Some Schmo wrote:Sort of like that old joke about the definition of gross is eating a bowl of cornflakes only to realize it was your sister's scab collection?

(There's another Mormon metaphor...)

Uh, oh. This might start a whole off-topic thread full of "what's grosser than gross" jokes and dead baby jokes.
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Some Schmo wrote:
The Nehor wrote:That was hilarious.

Really? Sounded like they were teaching it the way it is. Or did you mean they weren't very good at separating the milk from the meat?

Well, that's an ironic statement. She said at one point that they should have held off on some of the stuff they were teaching till later. So an investigator believes in milk before meat.

I would add that the Nephites being totally good and the Lamanites being totally evil requires the reader to be clueless while reading the book or to have never read it at all. I'm hoping some of the way the conversation went was played up for comic reasons.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Pretty funny.

You forget how weird, wacky, foreign, and absurd it all is, until you hear something like this.
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Thanks for sharing this Porter.

Whats this TED thing? Where and why was she speaking?

Yeh, she got some bad missionaries. Easy to say that now. I wonder how many people I saw would say I was a bad teacher. There was that one guy who was argueing that we have no religion without scripture, so I threw the Book of Mormon across the house and said prophecy is more important and I don't need it because we can always write more. He didn't like that and threw us out.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:Thanks for sharing this Porter.

Whats this TED thing? Where and why was she speaking?

Yeh, she got some bad missionaries. Easy to say that now. I wonder how many people I saw would say I was a bad teacher. There was that one guy who was argueing that we have no religion without scripture, so I threw the Book of Mormon across the house and said prophecy is more important and I don't need it because we can always write more. He didn't like that and threw us out.
That is the thing that really irritates me about Mormon missionaries.

You demonstrated the exact pious attitude that the MTC injected into you.

We are gods only chosen, we are here to help these people, we are with out bounds... we are free to do what ever it takes to get the truth across to these gentiles, and with that you threw a book in HIS homeas you muttered something unintelligible.

I hate missionaries who act like that. You had no right to do that.

The stupid lame movie "Best Two Years" was full of scenes that played out attitudes like that.