I Took the D&C Challenge--How'd I Do?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

Hey, that's my favorite verse, too! Nothing says "prophet" like the threat of damnation if you don't accept your husband's secret wifery.

Well, that and telling people to deed all their material goods to the church.

It is amazing how frequently God was vexed with the exact same people Joseph was vexed with.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_beastie
_Emeritus

Post by _beastie »

In regards to Emma if it came from Joseph alone then it was presumptuous. If it came from God as rebukes go it was a fairly mild one. I think I've had worse. More akin to the Laman and Lemuel shock treatment than simple commands complete with visual and auditory aides to show the result of the wrong path.

If it came from God he is not a being worthy of love and respect.

Fear, yes, but not love, not respect.
We hate to seem like we don’t trust every nut with a story, but there’s evidence we can point to, and dance while shouting taunting phrases.

Penn & Teller

http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

The Nehor wrote:I wrote this when I was doing an intensive study of the Book of Mormon and rewriting every verse in colloquial English as an aid to understanding what it was saying.

Wow. That takes some dedication. How far did you get? Did it help you understand it any better?
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

The Nehor wrote:I wrote this when I was doing an intensive study of the Book of Mormon and rewriting every verse in colloquial English as an aid to understanding what it was saying. I prefer to read the original over my rewrite.

Cool! I assume you got the idea from Bruce R. McConkie's own youthful exercise of this nature? How useful did you find it in helping you understand the book better?

Don
_Mister Scratch
_Emeritus

Post by _Mister Scratch »

The fact that the language of the D&C can be imitated by a mere mortal, without the aid of any divine help, has already been amply and decisively demonstrated by Mark Hofmann.
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Mister Scratch wrote:The fact that the language of the D&C can be imitated by a mere mortal, without the aid of any divine help, has already been amply and decisively demonstrated by Mark Hofmann.

No doubt. Even Jerald Tanner saw through Hofmann. Now if an anti-Mormon can recognise a fake.........and Scratch can't..........
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Ray A wrote:No doubt. Even Jerald Tanner saw through Hofmann. Now if an anti-Mormon can recognise a fake.........and Scratch can't..........

Or, an even better question to ask is, "Now if an anti-Mormon can recognize a fake. . . and Spencer W. Kimball can't. . ."
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

CaliforniaKid wrote:Well since my name is Smith I think I'm the obvious choice for prophet. Fortunately for Steuss I'll be needing a spokesman.

The day of the Steussites is at hand...
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_CaliforniaKid
_Emeritus

Post by _CaliforniaKid »

Well since my name is Smith I think I'm the obvious choice for prophet. Fortunately for Steuss I'll be needing a spokesman.
The day of the Steussites is at hand...

I sense a succession crisis in the wings...
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

DonBradley wrote:Cool! I assume you got the idea from Bruce R. McConkie's own youthful exercise of this nature? How useful did you find it in helping you understand the book better?

Don

I did get it from him, it was pretty helpful but I didn't get too far. The main advantage is it prevents you from glossing over things that the mind sometimes just classes as random platitudes. If it means what it says in a very direct way the Book of Mormon has a lot to say. I think I got somewhere in Mosiah before life got crazy again. Might try it again someday, could probably do a better job now.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo