How long did the family of Adam & Eve practice incest?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I assume that Adam and his clonal sister Eve had a lot in common.

So how many generations need to transpire before it quits being incest? Probably longer than usual when clones are involved.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Evolutionary theory as I understand it would require much, much more incest. What's your point?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Can clones commit traditional incest?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Doctor Steuss
_Emeritus

Post by _Doctor Steuss »

Blixa wrote:Can clones commit traditional incest?

I figure it would be closer to abusing "the factory" (a.k.a. the “M word”) than incest.

The Nehor wrote:Evolutionary theory as I understand it would require much, much more incest. What's your point?

Never really thought of it that way... interesting.
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead." ~Charles Bukowski
_Tarski
_Emeritus

Post by _Tarski »

The Nehor wrote:Evolutionary theory as I understand it would require much, much more incest.

why?

what is your point?
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Isnt this like the third time Porters started this exact same thread?
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

The Nehor wrote:Evolutionary theory as I understand it would require much, much more incest. What's your point?

I think you're onto something Nehor. I have said this for years after learning this in my genetics class. "Incest is actually more beneficial to the species and the gene pool after enough time passes. The bad genes simply die out. Nonincestual breeding often masks a nasty recessive allele. While the immediate effect visible to us seems good, in the long run this is not good."

This is a basic fact of genetics. Yet when you present it to people, you get this knee jerk reaction as if to say I'm crazy. Yet it's true.

That being said, the story is obviously allegorical. I always questioned why the people quit living for 900 years. I suspected it was due to incest but my suspicions were incorrect.

I question whether any of the people living upwards of 800 years ever existed at all. Even Abraham living to be 175 seems like a stretch.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Gazelam wrote:isn't this like the third time Porters started this exact same thread?
Proof please.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

ajax18 wrote:That being said, the story is obviously allegorical. I always questioned why the people quit living for 900 years. I suspected it was due to incest but my suspicions were incorrect.

I question whether any of the people living upwards of 800 years ever existed at all. Even Abraham living to be 175 seems like a stretch.

*Cue Janice Capp Perry lame song "With GAWD ain't nuttin impossible"*
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

ajax18 wrote:

I think you're onto something Nehor. I have said this for years after learning this in my genetics class. "Incest is actually more beneficial to the species and the gene pool after enough time passes. The bad genes simply die out. Nonincestual breeding often masks a nasty recessive allele. While the immediate effect visible to us seems good, in the long run this is not good."

This is a basic fact of genetics. Yet when you present it to people, you get this knee jerk reaction as if to say I'm crazy. Yet it's true.

That being said, the story is obviously allegorical. I always questioned why the people quit living for 900 years. I suspected it was due to incest but my suspicions were incorrect.

I would agree, most of the problems with incest are social and not genetic. I believe it would be unhealthy to allow it now but under certain conditions it could be beneficial.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo