Smith call to "prophet": Explict or assumed?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Smith call to "prophet": Explict or assumed?

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Like I asked in my truth about missionaries thread, did smith ever relate an experience where he was explicitly called to be a prophet or is it just assumed and something he "rolled" into?
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

The D&C which is canon in the Church has God refer to him as the Prophet of the Church on several occasions. In his encounters with God and Christ in the grove and his encounters with Moroni he does say that more things were told to him than are in the record. Perhaps there is a formal calling there. Technically he was a Prophet without an official calling until the first official meeting of the Church where he was sustained as the First Elder.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

The Nehor wrote:The D&C which is canon in the Church has God refer to him as the Prophet of the Church on several occasions.

What's the point of being the prophet of the church? Wouldn't he have been the Prophet of God?

In his encounters with God and Christ in the grove and his encounters with Moroni he does say that more things were told to him than are in the record. Perhaps there is a formal calling there. Technically he was a Prophet without an official calling until the first official meeting of the Church where he was sustained as the First Elder.

He also technically had no priesthood either... but we won't open that particular subject again on this thread, right?
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

The Nehor wrote:The D&C which is canon in the Church has God refer to him as the Prophet of the Church on several occasions.

If you assume that god was talking to him, this could be the case. My assumption is that Joseph was dictating these "revelations" to himself, giving himself the title of prophet independent of god, couching the revelations in King James English to lend these so-called revelations more credence.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

What's the point of being the prophet of the church? Wouldn't he have been the Prophet of God?

The D&C calls him a propher, seer, etc. It says "This generation shall have my word through you."
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

silentkid wrote:

If you assume that god was talking to him, this could be the case. My assumption is that Joseph was dictating these "revelations" to himself, giving himself the title of prophet independent of god, couching the revelations in King James English to lend these so-called revelations more credence.

That is possible certianly. But the whole premis of the thread is the Smith never thought he was called as a prophet is is demostratably false.