LDS Sexuality

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Seven
_Emeritus

Post by _Seven »

barrelomonkeys wrote:Seven, thanks so much for posting that. I read it all and have just one question. Were you stating (I believe you were, but I just wanted to make sure I understand) that to go to the Celestial Kingdom you must practice polygamy and this is not widely known to LDS?

Hi barrelofmonkeys,
No, you don't have to practice polygamy to be in the Celestial Kingdom. You do have to practice polygamy for the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom though. Most LDS in my opinion do not know it's required. Even LDS scholars argue about it but the Modern day Prophets have not removed it from the canon. (131 and 132 ) The church has misled it's members to believe monogamy=eternal marriage because it's a senstive topic for modern day members and it's illegal right now to practice it.

Here are more details:

LDS doctrine teaches us that as long as you have been baptized by correct authority (Mormon priesthood) or by proxy, that everybody can go to the Celestial Kingdom that meets these requirements:
beleive and be valiant in a testimony of Jesus Christ
Be baptized in the name of Christ
Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost
Obey the commandments of God
Be washed and cleansed from all sins
Overcome by faith and endure to the end
Be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise
President James E. Faust of the First Presidency explained that "to have a covenant or ordinance sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise means that the compact is binding on earth and in heaven." (“The Gift of the Holy Ghost—A Sure Compass,” Ensign, May 1989, 31)

Children under the age of 8 do not have to be baptized. They automatically go there.

But...there are 3 levels to this kingdom. This part may get confusing so feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. It's a lot to take in. The very highest level is where you are exalted and have eternal marriage, are a God or Goddess, and create worlds like Heavenly Father did. Most modern day LDS do not understand that plural marriage is required for this highest level. They believe their monogamous temple marriage today fulfills the new and everlasting covenant (the sealing ordinance), but it doesn't. All the teachings and doctrine on exaltation are clear that plural marriage is required for exaltation. It come from section 131 and 132 of the Doctrine and Covenants and I could pull out countless statements by LDS deceased Prophets on this doctrine.

Modern day teachings on this top level of the Celestial Kingdom are not given in church anymore. The leaders decided at some point to no longer teach the doctrine of plural marriage in heaven and now when we have lessons on section 132 at church, they pick and choose scriptures that misrepresent the true teachings. That is why so many LDS grow up thinking they have an eternal temple marriage through monogamy. It's deceptive of the church to remain silent on this belief no matter how uncomfortable it is for them. There has never been a Prophet that declared plural marriage is no longer required to fulfill the sealing ordinance. They have simply remained silent on that part. They focus on condeming the anauthorized mortal practice of the splinter groups.
"Happiness is the object and design of our existence...
That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." Joseph Smith
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

The Nehor wrote:So many people seem to forget that being in the Celestial Kingdom makes you omnipotent. If after all is revealed and there's stuff about it you still don't like BAM!!! it's fixed.

UHM..... being God means being perfect in all the laws. If the Law is right for the Father, its right for the Son and Daughter. Its not a matter of "Bam " its fixed, its a matter of please step down and make room for one who is willing to be more obedient.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Gazelam wrote:
The Nehor wrote:So many people seem to forget that being in the Celestial Kingdom makes you omnipotent. If after all is revealed and there's stuff about it you still don't like BAM!!! it's fixed.

UHM..... being God means being perfect in all the laws. If the Law is right for the Father, its right for the Son and Daughter. Its not a matter of "Bam " its fixed, its a matter of please step down and make room for one who is willing to be more obedient.

Also true. However when all is revealed it will be the same result. Is God bound by law or does he choose to be bound by law?
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo