What's in the Secret Church Vault?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I hear that Sheri L. Dew keeps her old lunchbox there. Its a collectors item.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Post by _silentkid »

Great pic, Gaz. LOL.

Where are the Sword of Laban and the Liahona? That's what I want to know.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Silentkid

Post by _Gazelam »

Both of those are in the Hill Cumorah with all of the other items, such as plates, Mormon abriged to make the Book of Mormon. Theres a reference somewhere to seeing them there. I think when the witnesses had the vision they were taken to the cave and they could see those items on a table.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Re: Silentkid

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:Both of those are in the Hill Cumorah with all of the other items, such as plates, Mormon abriged to make the Book of Mormon. Theres a reference somewhere to seeing them there. I think when the witnesses had the vision they were taken to the cave and they could see those items on a table.

Which 'cumorah' are you referring to?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_silentkid
_Emeritus

Re: Silentkid

Post by _silentkid »

Gazelam wrote:...they were taken to the cave and they could see those items on a table.

Maybe that vision revealed a future time and place. The cave they were taken to was the church vault.
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Who knows

Post by _Gazelam »

From what I understand, there was a place the prophets in the Book of Mormon kept all of the records at. This is where Mormon spent his time in condensing the records into what we have in our Book of Mormon. I would suppose this place to be hidden, and it would be where Moroni took the Sword of Laban and the Liahona to.

I do not know the reference point, but I recall one of the witnesses stating that they saw the place in a vision, and they recall looking to the side and being able to see the edge of the vision, as in seeing the forest floor pick up near the edge of the vision where they were in a room with a stone floor/ floor of a cave. The room was filled with records, and there was a table with the Sword of Laban on it.
_Ray A

Re: What's in the Secret Church Vault?

Post by _Ray A »

Mister Scratch wrote: In any case, I always enjoy threads like these, since they rankle the hypersensitive TBMs to no end.

And thus, again, we see Scratch's real motive. Scratch is what we Aussies call a S*** stirrer.

This is the same Scratch who asked: "Is Ray A interested in truth in argumentation?"
Last edited by _Ray A on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
_christopher
_Emeritus

Re: Who knows

Post by _christopher »

Gazelam wrote:From what I understand, there was a place the prophets in the Book of Mormon kept all of the records at. This is where Mormon spent his time in condensing the records into what we have in our Book of Mormon. I would suppose this place to be hidden, and it would be where Moroni took the Sword of Laban and the Liahona to.

I do not know the reference point, but I recall one of the witnesses stating that they saw the place in a vision, and they recall looking to the side and being able to see the edge of the vision, as in seeing the forest floor pick up near the edge of the vision where they were in a room with a stone floor/ floor of a cave. The room was filled with records, and there was a table with the Sword of Laban on it.

Here is what Brigham Young said about the room that is hidden in the Hill Cumorah in NY:

"When Joseph got the plates, the angel instructed him to carry them back to the hill Cumorah, which he did. Oliver says that when Joseph and Oliver went there, the hill opened, and they walked into a cave, in which there was a large and spacious room. He says he did not think, at the time, whether they had the light of the sun or artificial light; but that it was just as light as day. They laid the plates on a table; it was a large table that stood in the room. Under this table there was a pile of plates as much as two feet high, and there were altogether in this room more plates than probably many wagon loads; they were piled up in the corners and along the walls. The first time they went there the sword of Laban hung upon the wall; but when they went again it had been taken down and laid upon the table across the gold plates; it was unsheathed, and on it was written these words: "This sword will never be sheathed again until the kingdoms of this world become the kingdom of our God and his Christ." I tell you this as coming not only from Oliver Cowdrey, but others who were familiar with it, and who understood it just as well as we understand coming to this meeting, enjoying the day, and by and by we separate and go away, forgetting most of what is said, but remembering some things. So is it with other circumstances in life. I relate this to you, and I want you to understand it. I take this liberty of referring to those things so that they will not be forgotten and lost. Carlos Smith was a young man of as much veracity as any young man we had, and he was a witness to these things. Samuel Smith saw some things, Hyrum saw a good many things, but Joseph was the leader. (Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Volume 19, June 17, 1877)

And Orson Pratt had this to say:

"After having made this abridgment he committed it into the hands of his son Moroni, knowing that his nation would be destroyed, and that Moroni, according to the revelations God had given him, would be spared to keep the records, and to behold the downfall of his nation Mormon hid the records from which he made this abridgment in a hill, called the hill Cumorah, that being its ancient name, and this hill was about three miles from where this young man resided, in the town of Manchester, Ontario County, State of New York. There all the records were deposited, and according to the Book of Mormon they must have been very numerous indeed. The history of the ancient inhabitants of this land was kept by their kings, and the records became very voluminous; and they were all deposited by the Prophet Mormon in that hill; but the abridgment from which the Book of Mormon was taken was given into the hands of his son Moroni, to finish out the record." (Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Volume 15, September 22, 1872)

Chris <><
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Thank you Christopher
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

So wait, wouldn't this place the hill cumorah in new york? wouldn't this mean that there was only 1 hill cumorah?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...