Going straight

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Gazelam wrote:The commandment is to be like God in all that we do. Since the Father is married that kind of puts a damper on the whole inter-sex love thing.

Then let gays marry.

Gazelam wrote:If you want to be like the Father, and live with him, then you have to live after a manner of creation and growth in a normal healthy relationship with a person of the opposite sex. As in a Mom, a Dad, and children.

A couple of questions here. Isn't the Father living and creating with multiple Mothers? Then to mimic him correctly...etc.

Also, what if you can't have children? What if you choose not to have children? What if you have children via adoption?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

richardMdBorn wrote:
DonBradley wrote:About 4% of American males are gay. This amounts to over 10 million gay men in the US. Don
Don, the population of the US is about 302M. It's slightly less than 50% male. Thus, the male population is at most 150M. .04 x 150M = 6M. And your 4% is generous. The percentage that's gay is controversial, as you know. 4% seems a bit high based on my reading.

Richard

Ah, I did misestimate from the population statistics. However, the 4% figure is by far the most consistently cited, and seems quite reasonable. I've heard figures as high as 10%, which strike me as absurd. There is clearly a high gay population. If only 1 in 100 or fewer men were gay, one would encounter them relatively rarely. I find that here, in Zion no less, I encounter them fairly frequently.

But, really, Richard, for the purposes of my argument about the generazibility of the experience of one, or even one thousand, how much does it matter whether we're talking about six million or two million?

Don
_Jersey Girl
_Emeritus

Post by _Jersey Girl »

Gaz
How a 'gay rights' leader became straight

No part of Michael's story remotely suggests that he "became straight". If you disagree, I'd like you to highlight the portion of his story where he states that he "became straight".

You are seeing what you want to see, Gaz. It simply isn't there.

Jersey Girl
Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up.
Chinese Proverb
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

DonBradley wrote:Ah, I did misestimate from the population statistics. However, the 4% figure is by far the most consistently cited, and seems quite reasonable. I've heard figures as high as 10%, which strike me as absurd. There is clearly a high gay population. If only 1 in 100 or fewer men were gay, one would encounter them relatively rarely. I find that here, in Zion no less, I encounter them fairly frequently.

But, really, Richard, for the purposes of my argument about the generazibility of the experience of one, or even one thousand, how much does it matter whether we're talking about six million or two million?

Don
Don, you're right of course. But I found it funny that in discussing homosexuality, you appear to have forgotten that more than half the population is female (302Mx.04=12M which is closer to your 10M+ than is 6M).

Richard
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

DonBradley wrote:Hey, I'm just getting settled in my new place, and will soon be available for get-togethers. We obviously need to reminiscence and talk trash (as well as exchange pearls of wisdom, of course).

Cool...I'll be in town in about a month, if that's a general offer.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Jersey Girl wrote:Gaz
How a 'gay rights' leader became straight

No part of Michael's story remotely suggests that he "became straight". If you disagree, I'd like you to highlight the portion of his story where he states that he "became straight".

You are seeing what you want to see, Gaz. It simply isn't there.

Jersey Girl

Correction: "How a Gay rights leader is now on the road to recovery...."
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

Blixa wrote:
Gazelam wrote:The commandment is to be like God in all that we do. Since the Father is married that kind of puts a damper on the whole inter-sex love thing.

Then let gays marry.

This runs counter to the entire plan of salvation, as well as being a mockery of a sacred ordinance.

Gazelam wrote:If you want to be like the Father, and live with him, then you have to live after a manner of creation and growth in a normal healthy relationship with a person of the opposite sex. As in a Mom, a Dad, and children.

A couple of questions here. Isn't the Father living and creating with multiple Mothers? Then to mimic him correctly...etc.

Also, what if you can't have children? What if you choose not to have children? What if you have children via adoption?

Yes the Father practices polygamy. At this time we cannot emulate that attribute. I believe I answered the question of infertility in an earlier post in this thread. Adoption is a viable option, as the lessons learened are for the most part the same.
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

harmony wrote:
Gazelam wrote: Since the Father is married that kind of puts a damper on the whole inter-sex love thing.

This is not a given. We don't know this. We assume this.

Can you seriously study D&C 132 and still say this? Your being ridiculous. Adam and Eve were created in the image of the Gods (Plural) and married while in an immortal state, meaning for all eternity. They did this in emulation of Deity.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote: Yes the Father practices polygamy. At this time we cannot emulate that attribute. I believe I answered the question of infertility in an earlier post in this thread. Adoption is a viable option, as the lessons learened are for the most part the same.

What reference in the canon are you using to substantiate that, Gaz?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Gazelam wrote:Correction: "How a Gay rights leader is now on the road to recovery...."

"On the road to recovery" doesn't automatically translate to "straight", Gaz.