Daniel Peterson, just for general purposes of identification

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DonBradley
_Emeritus

Post by _DonBradley »

Hi all,

I'm pleased to see Professor Peterson on the board, and think it noteworthy that his posting style and demeanor here have been precisely the opposite of what is being portrayed. Even as he is being characterized as posting nothing but fluff and snide attacks on others, he is posting politely and keeping to the issues at hand. What reason is there why his constructive attempt to clarify himself and the set the record should not be welcomed, rather than met with accusations that he is incapable of posting in the precisely the polite and substantive manner that he is demonstrating right now??

Don
_guy sajer
_Emeritus

Post by _guy sajer »

DonBradley wrote:Hi all,

I'm pleased to see Professor Peterson on the board, and think it noteworthy that his posting style and demeanor here have been precisely the opposite of what is being portrayed. Even as he is being characterized as posting nothing but fluff and snide attacks on others, he is posting politely and keeping to the issues at hand. What reason is there why his constructive attempt to clarify himself and the set the record should not be welcomed, rather than met with accusations that he is incapable of posting in the precisely the polite and substantive manner that he is demonstrating right now??

Don

Count me among those who would like to see more believers participate in this board. Much as I respect posters' rights to say what they want, I think that personal attacks will drive away many believers who might otherwise want to participate here. I suggest that we give everyone the benefit of the doubt until she/he gives reason to do otherwise. (I strongly suspect, however, that our good friend DCP has visited us here before under a different guise(s).)

I find this board interesting to the point that we get people from different perspectives and points of view debating. It is also the reason I've largely quit other DAMU boards-it's the same old thing over and over, along with very strong pressure to conform to certain perspectives.

Preaching to the choir constantly gets boring. I may not agree with believers and others with different POVs, I may get in disputations with them, but the process is at least more interesting, and believe it or not, I learn something in the process. I think that there's little intellectual growth if we're not testing our own beliefs/ideas against competing ones.

Take this as a friendly suggestion. I'm not telling anyone what they can or cannot say. I'm merely expressing my own preference.
God . . . "who mouths morals to other people and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, . . . and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites this poor, abused slave to worship him ..."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

I'm glad Dr. Peterson posted. I wish he would post more. I agree with others that wish more believers would post. I wish they would as well.