Can't Mormons at least get their milk from the same dairy?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_gramps
_Emeritus

Can't Mormons at least get their milk from the same dairy?

Post by _gramps »

Found this link over on the recovery board.

From the Columbus Dispatch. See link below.

Main text is provided for you. Mission President answers and clears up myths.

Wouldn't you think, what with all the money the church has, and all its MBA's and lawyers, they could figure out how to get their milk, if that is what they insist on feeding investigators, from the same dairy?

Maybe, just maybe, some of the myths would go away.

Actually, I think I am being a little light on the old President answering the myths. Some of his responses are not just milk, they are really flat out lies. But, take a read for yourself.

Mormon Myths

Mormonism has been plagued by myths through the years. In the early days of the church, these misconceptions led to persecution and the murder of some of its members. Russell Gilliland, president of the Columbus-Dayton Mission for the church, answered some of the more common myths.

Myth: Mormons take more than one wife.

Gilliland: In the earliest days of the church, Mormons were told by the prophet Joseph Smith that God had commanded them to take more than one wife. Many members were confused by this, and although uncomfortable with the idea, they did as they were told. In 1890, then-prophet Wilford Woodruff revealed that God had accepted the Mormons' sacrifice and taking more than one wife was no longer allowed. Mormons who practice or preach polygamy now will be kicked out of the church.

Myth: Mormons wear special underwear that outsiders sometimes call magic underwear.

Gilliland: I'll never understand why this is such a big deal. If you go to any divinity school for any church you will see people wearing priestly vestments. After we go to temple and make our commitments to God, we wear garments to remind us of those commitments. We wear them on the inside to not throw it up in your face that you have not made the same commitment we have. They are no more mysterious than that, a reminder that we have been in a sacred place, that we can return to God by keeping our promises to him.

Myth: Mormons believe they will each get their own planet to rule after death.

Gilliland: I don't know where the planet comes from. The savior says he wants us to become one with him in John 17. Later, he talks of us becoming joint heirs with Christ. He wants us to receive what he receives. We believe that God will lift us up and that we can be like him. What that will look like, I have no idea. I think that is a long time away, and what it will be is his decision.

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/conten ... 76PDH.html
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Can't Mormons at least get their milk from the same dair

Post by _Blixa »

Ha ha, some of these are really cute!

In 1890, then-prophet Wilford Woodruff revealed that God had accepted the Mormons' sacrifice and taking more than one wife was no longer allowed.

Where was it said that this was a special trial for Mormons and not an essential element of salvation?

We wear them on the inside to not throw it up in your face that you have not made the same commitment we have. They are no more mysterious than that, a reminder that we have been in a sacred place, that we can return to God by keeping our promises to him.

...and not to throw it up in your face that you won't be returning to God because you haven't made the same covenants.

I don't know where the planet comes from.

Organized matter, weren't you listening in the temple?
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

Yes, Mormons trying to dispell the whole "we can be gods" thing by claiming "we don't know what will happen" is just plain old-fashioned lying. No, LDS people don't know every single last detail about exactly what will happen, minute by minute, in the Celestial Kingdom, but that they will be Gods and procreate new spirit children forever, who will go down to their own planets and be tested as we are today (according to the myth) is very well known by LDS people, and taught, and believed. To insinuate otherwise is dishonest.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_gramps
_Emeritus

Post by _gramps »

They have got to figure out how to get their story straight, don't ya think?

Here's a hint: Drop the story, tell the truth. End of myth (maybe?).
I detest my loose style and my libertine sentiments. I thank God, who has removed from my eyes the veil...
Adrian Beverland
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Re: Can't Mormons at least get their milk from the same dair

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Myth: Mormons take more than one wife.

Gilliland: In the earliest days of the church, Mormons were told by the prophet Joseph Smith that God had commanded them to take more than one wife. Many members were confused by this, and although uncomfortable with the idea, they did as they were told. In 1890, then-prophet Wilford Woodruff revealed that God had accepted the Mormons' sacrifice and taking more than one wife was no longer allowed. Mormons who practice or preach polygamy now will be kicked out of the church.

Richard - so there were no more polygamous marriages sanctioned by the GAs after 1890?