Who has a bigger following?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Does anyone get the impression Steve thinks he is an exmormon GA?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mercury wrote:Does anyone get the impression Steve thinks he is an exmormon GA?

Ya know, this fixation on Steve Benson is bizarre. I mean, why is his name all over this board? He's never even been here! Who cares if the RfM crowd thinks he's something special? Personally, I think he's hilarious as a political cartoonist, but I couldn't care less about his antics on RfM. The place simply is a non-starter for me.

Big deal if Steve Benson is chief of RfM. Big deal if DCP is chief of LDS apologists. Neither of them has any impact on my life. I'm much more interested in the people who actually post here, instead of in celebrity-watching on RfM or MAD.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I feel certain that children everywhere would prefer a blimp of Dr. Peterson in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day to a Blimp of Steve Benson.

(I bet Dr. Peterson would also pull ahead of Underdog, but would lag behind Spongebob Squarepants)....
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Loquacious Lurker
_Emeritus

Post by _Loquacious Lurker »

Well. SOMEONE had a Pulizer Prize, whilst someone ELSE is virtually unknown outside of discussion forums. In terms of sheer following, based on that, I'd have to vote Benson.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

harmony wrote:
Mercury wrote:Does anyone get the impression Steve thinks he is an exmormon GA?

Ya know, this fixation on Steve Benson is bizarre. I mean, why is his name all over this board? He's never even been here! Who cares if the RfM crowd thinks he's something special? Personally, I think he's hilarious as a political cartoonist, but I couldn't care less about his antics on RfM. The place simply is a non-starter for me.

Big deal if Steve Benson is chief of RfM. Big deal if DCP is chief of LDS apologists. Neither of them has any impact on my life. I'm much more interested in the people who actually post here, instead of in celebrity-watching on RfM or MAD.

I dunno, I can't say I have a steve benson fetish but the dynamic over on RFM fascinates me. This is on more of a professional level fascination as board group dynamics is relevant to my career.

Luminaries are a specific attractor that is pertinent to the subject matter.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_Ray A

Post by _Ray A »

Loquacious Lurker wrote:Well. SOMEONE had a Pulizer Prize, whilst someone ELSE is virtually unknown outside of discussion forums. In terms of sheer following, based on that, I'd have to vote Benson.

Are you sure it was a Pulizer Prize?
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Loquacious Lurker wrote:Well. SOMEONE had a Pulizer Prize, whilst someone ELSE is virtually unknown outside of discussion forums. In terms of sheer following, based on that, I'd have to vote Benson.

How exactly are you comparing political cartooning to translating the Dead Sea Scrolls? What criteria are you using to compare the two?

Because I don't see any connection. And I don't think Benson got his Pulitzer because of his popularity on RfM, so because Peterson doesn't have a similiar award seems completely beside the point.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Mercury wrote:I dunno, I can't say I have a steve benson fetish but the dynamic over on RFM fascinates me. This is on more of a professional level fascination as board group dynamics is relevant to my career.

Board group dynamics has something to do with engineering?

Luminaries are a specific attractor that is pertinent to the subject matter.

Luminaries? Paper sacks with sand and candles in them, that light the driveway at Christmastime? Or maybe I have the wrong context. Wouldn't be the first time.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I don't know that there's much that's so mysterious as work here. Both Benson and DCP occupy loosely similar positions on their respective boards: because they're "insiders" of a kind, and well known, they're accorded a celebrity status. There's people on both boards who follow their posts because of that, as well as people who read them because they're more genuinely interested in what they have to say, and I'm sure some who ignore them for both reasons, as well. It's not an unknown group dynamic.

Who has the larger following? Porportional to the size of the boards, I'd say DCP, probably. But I'm going on the fact that I've seen more anti-Benson threads on RfM than anti-DCP threads on MAD. Since the latter aren't allowed, I'm sure my perception is skewed.

All in all, though, who cares? I've found some of Benson's writing on his grandfather of historical interest, and reading some of DCP's posts has been useful for outlining various apologetic arguments. Beyond that...???
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

harmony wrote:Ya know, this fixation on Steve Benson is bizarre. I mean, why is his name all over this board? He's never even been here! Who cares if the RfM crowd thinks he's something special? Personally, I think he's hilarious as a political cartoonist, but I couldn't care less about his antics on RfM. The place simply is a non-starter for me.

I didn't realize there were any celebrities among us! I don't understand these board dynamics at all.