Mormon Myth Story Time

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Mormon Myth Story Time

Post by _Mercury »

We could turn this into sharing time if you wanted...just kidding.

This story was told to me by my teachers quorum teacher when I was a kid:

OK, who heard the one about the group of Mormons that studied their scriptures dilligently looking for a "deeper meaning". They would meet weekly, they grew up together and eventually studied their way out of their testimonies. The Mormon myth ends with a lesson about how asking questions is bad under the guise of a lesson on Pride and arrogance?
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Myth Story Time

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:We could turn this into sharing time if you wanted...just kidding.

This story was told to me by my teachers quorum teacher when I was a kid:

OK, who heard the one about the group of Mormons that studied their scriptures dilligently looking for a "deeper meaning". They would meet weekly, they grew up together and eventually studied their way out of their testimonies. The Mormon myth ends with a lesson about how asking questions is bad under the guise of a lesson on Pride and arrogance?

It's not a myth. I've seen this story play out twice in my life and have first-hand accounts from friends of several others. A bunch of pseudo-intellectuals get together and assume raw brainpower can unlock the revelations of heaven. One group eventually decided Christ was unnecessary. The other group was a little more passive and limited themselves pseudo-scholarship. Somehow they found some secret to exaltation in the Abrahamic hypocephalus.

The lesson is not to disguise pride and arrogance as being a 'search for truth'. Both groups became insular and disdained those not part of their little society. It was a MENSA-style intellectual elitist clique. To continue to exist such groups have to find higher or deeper meaning and continue to differentiate themselves from everyone else in order to reinforce the notion.

Those groups aren't about asking questions. At least, they never seemed to find answers.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Sethbag
_Emeritus

Post by _Sethbag »

I've heard GAs, I think Packer in particular, warn the membership about studying their way out of the church. They said it as if they were warning someone of something awful, like "always wear your seat belt or you might get thrown out of your vehicle and die". But when you think about it, when someone does in fact study their way out of the church, could it be that they actually found out that it's not really true, and their leaving it is actually a good thing? Hmm.
Mormonism ceased being a compelling topic for me when I finally came to terms with its transformation from a personality cult into a combination of a real estate company, a SuperPac, and Westboro Baptist Church. - Kishkumen
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Sethbag wrote:I've heard GAs, I think Packer in particular, warn the membership about studying their way out of the church. They said it as if they were warning someone of something awful, like "always wear your seat belt or you might get thrown out of your vehicle and die". But when you think about it, when someone does in fact study their way out of the church, could it be that they actually found out that it's not really true, and their leaving it is actually a good thing? Hmm.

I don't think a Church can be true or false. The Gospel can be true or false. The Church is a collection of a few patients on the asylum called Earth trying to figure out the will of God with some success and some failure.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
_Mercury
_Emeritus

Post by _Mercury »

Sethbag wrote:I've heard GAs, I think Packer in particular, warn the membership about studying their way out of the church. They said it as if they were warning someone of something awful, like "always wear your seat belt or you might get thrown out of your vehicle and die". But when you think about it, when someone does in fact study their way out of the church, could it be that they actually found out that it's not really true, and their leaving it is actually a good thing? Hmm.

This of course is the logical conclusion. No one studies their way out of the church per se, they study into a better understanding of their church.
And crawling on the planet's face
Some insects called the human race
Lost in time
And lost in space...and meaning
_barrelomonkeys
_Emeritus

Post by _barrelomonkeys »

The Nehor wrote:
I don't think a Church can be true or false. The Gospel can be true or false. The Church is a collection of a few patients on the asylum called Earth trying to figure out the will of God with some success and some failure.

I agree with you!
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Post by _The Nehor »

Mercury wrote:This of course is the logical conclusion. No one studies their way out of the church per se, they study into a better understanding of their church.

The idea that studying something leads to a better understanding of it is not always true. Visit a college campus some time.